Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
The Nisayon of Struggling to Pay Tuition
Previous  1  2  3  4

shalhevet

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 4:27 am
cassandra wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
It's not only people wanting more gashmius in their own lives, it's also parents expecting the schools to be on a higher level of gashmius.

My sons study in a private cheder, not government funded. The building is not so new, there really isn't enough area for playing in (each class gets one day a week on the roof where they have more space, in turn). Food is sent from home. They learn limudei kodesh and the limudei chol is math, Ivrit, some history, geography and science. No labs. No computers. No fancy furnishings. The classes are also bigger than what I hear in America (which is not davka a good thing). .

I think what you call "high level of gashmius" others might call "valuing secular education" which isn't gashmius at all. If I didn't value secular education I could send my child to school in Boro Park and pay a quarter of the tuition I pay now.

But that is the point. It doesn't even matter what the reasons are. People want an excellent Jewish education and an excellent secular one. They want libraries and labs and computer rooms. They want heating in winter and AC in summer. They want baseball courts and sports fields. They want small classes and excellent teachers. They want long school days and to send their kids to camp. They want their kids to be dressed nicely and have fancy school bags. They want delicious, nutritious food for their children at school. They want spacious, nicely decorated classrooms and attractive school books.

Now some of those things I agree with too, and some would be nice. But you can't demand it all - which costs lots of money - and then turn around and cry that there is no way you can afford it. Since it sounds to me like 95% of the community is crying, then someone needs to sit down and say - all these things are very nice and very important, but we just cannot afford them all. Some things will have to go.

The fact that something is important is irrelevant. Buying seforim is important. But if you don't have enough money to buy your kids food for Shabbos you borrow the seforim.

Aidelmom

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 4:31 am
cassandra wrote:
ora_43 wrote:

But why is the secular education provided at frum schools so expensive? I'm pretty sure my public school didn't spend anywhere near the difference between the cost of an MO high school and the cost of a chassidish high school per student.

How do you know this? I'd love to see the operating expenses of a public school vs. a yeshiva. Also consider that a yeshiva needs to hire twice as many teachers.

I heard that the public school in my old town spent $10,000 per kid (and I don't think its a considered a good school)

ora_43

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 5:54 am
cassandra wrote:
ora_43 wrote:

But why is the secular education provided at frum schools so expensive? I'm pretty sure my public school didn't spend anywhere near the difference between the cost of an MO high school and the cost of a chassidish high school per student.

How do you know this? I'd love to see the operating expenses of a public school vs. a yeshiva. Also consider that a yeshiva needs to hire twice as many teachers.

Why would a yeshiva need twice as many teachers? It would be nice to provide everything public schools do--Spanish, French, Latin, AV, different history options, shop, etc--but it's not necessary, and if the parents can't afford it they can't. A yeshiva should need maybe 150% the number of teachers.

In public school, one of the major costs was having multiple teachers for each subject because classes were taught on different levels. Most yeshivot I know of don't do that either.

cassandra

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 8:23 am
ora_43 wrote:

In public school, one of the major costs was having multiple teachers for each subject because classes were taught on different levels. Most yeshivot I know of don't do that either.

Are we talking high school or elementary school?

iriska_meller

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 5:23 pm
Disclaimer: I only have one child, for whom I pay full tuition and it IS one of my biggest expenses.

I think that tuition is high. However, I also want my child's morah to earn good money and to be happy with her job. Because then she will be a good morah and hopefully give my daughter the chinuch she needs.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we do need to look into ways of lowering tuition, but teachers must be paid decent salaries.

amother

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 5:34 pm
Or the NIGHTMARE of paying tuition....

amother

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 5:58 pm
iriska_meller wrote:
Disclaimer: I only have one child, for whom I pay full tuition and it IS one of my biggest expenses.

I think that tuition is high. However, I also want my child's morah to earn good money and to be happy with her job. Because then she will be a good morah and hopefully give my daughter the chinuch she needs.
I guess the point I'm trying to make is that we do need to look into ways of lowering tuition, but teachers must be paid decent salaries.

THe thing is just becasue you pay a lot of tuition doesn't mean that the Morah's/Rebeeim get paid well. I'm the op with two kids at home and I can definitely tell you that the school my kids go to makes you pay above your means even when you can't and the teachers GET paid BUBKES...heck they don't even get health insurance.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics