Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Silicone Bakeware vs. Metal Bakeware

Maya

Post Sat, Sep 27 2008, 10:14 pm
I recently discovered that I enjoy baking, and would like to buy some products so that I don't have to use disposables all the time.

Regarding taste and texture, is there a difference between metal bakeware and the silicone ones? For example, are there any advantages for using a non-stick metal loaf pan over the same thing in silicone?

Thanks for any information.

HooRYou

Post Sat, Sep 27 2008, 11:29 pm
I have a few silicone pans that I use all the time. When I have a choice to use silicon or one of my regular pans I always reach for the silicone. I love the ease that everything pops out with and the ease of clean up. Also, I have found that the non-stick metal ones don't always stay non-stick and don't hold up to years of cleaning well. I especially like my silicone muffin pans. I make almost everything as cupcakes so mine see a lto of use and as long as the cupcakes are half cooled they pop right out with no paper lines needed. You cannot bake on a turbo/circulate baking setting in them though so they might be a problem if you are baking a lot of trays of things at the same time.

mamacita

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 2:33 pm
I find that since the silicone is non-stick, things rise so much more nicely than in metal. they rise evenly across instead of puffing up in the middle.

I enjoy serving nice looking pieces and no matter how much you spray or line a metal one, they don't come out as pretty Smile

MommyLuv

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 3:45 pm
Also silicone is supposedly safe to certain temp., and does not have the health hazards of using cookware made with non-stick Teflon technology.

SingALong

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 6:26 pm
can silicon go into the dishwasher?

Pineapple

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 6:33 pm
Personally I can not use silicone I feel like I am using plastic LOL

azoy

Post Mon, Sep 29 2008, 5:45 am
Silicone is very flexible, so unless I use a baking sheet underneath it, its very possible for the cakes to get ruined or for the batter to spill.

trafficgal

Post Mon, Sep 29 2008, 6:17 am
I'm an independent Pampered Chef Consultant, I know our silicone bakeware can go in the dishwasher!
Also our silicone ware is unique in that it is designed with a built-in silicone covered steel rim for stability so you can put it directly on the oven rack and do not need to put it on a cookie sheet first!

Another type of bake ware to consider is stoneware, It is the best thing I've ever used!!! I love it! The stone wear cooks extreamly evenly! Also once it is seasoned it has a nonstick surface! As an extra bonus you can make cakes (and other things) in the microwave with stoneware!

PM me and I can give you my web address if your interested or if you have questions PM me :-)

Good luck with your new exciting hobby!!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics