Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Announcements & Mazel Tovs
PSA from Eliyahu Hanavi
Previous  1  2  3

Motek

Post Sat, Oct 11 2008, 11:06 pm
shalhevet wrote:
I learned that moshiach won't come on a Friday so as not to interrupt our preparations for Shabbos (I think it's written in the gemorra.)

The Gemarra in Eruvin says that Eliyahu, who heralds Moshiach's coming will not come erev Shabbos or erev Yom Tov because of the trouble it would cause us. Rashi there explains, "for they would have to leave their erev Shabbos preparations and go out to greet him."

The Rambam paskens in Hilchos Nazir (where this issue is discussed) that it is doubtful that Moshiach will come on Shabbos. It's only a safek (a doubt) and Moshiach might come on Shabbos anyway.

The Tzemach Tzedek once spoke of the coming of Moshiach at one of the times concerning which Chazal taught he will not come. One of the people asked him about this and the Tz. Tzedek answered, "Let him come! Then, once he comes and finds solutions for all the other unsolved scholarly queries ("teiku"), he will find a solution for this one too!"

shalhevet

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 3:30 am
Motek wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
I'm sure no one here really cares if Hashem chooses literal eagles or some other way.

Where does it say that in Yemos Ha'Moshiach we will go on eagle's wings? I learned it will be with the ananei shmaya - clouds.

You mentioned the eagles, not me.

Quote:
Quote:
Why? The shor habor vhalevyasan will be good enough for me. The fruits of EY have a special maila, so why use yours from Ama Reika or wherever you live in chul?

I don't think we will be eating shor ha'bor day in and day out. I thought it's for one particular meal which will also include the Livyasan fish and the Yayin Ha'Meshumar. As for why to take food prepared l'kavod Yom Tov: 1) so far, I haven't used any fruits in my cooking 2) we don't want to be oiver on bal tashchis 3) food prepared for Yom Tov is special

Try and read things a little less narrowly. Fruits = fruits, vegetables, grains, animals and fowl that ate those fruits, vegetables and grains. Eggs laid by fowl that ate peiros EY. Water that is rain/ rivers/ streams in EY. Everything is spiritually influenced by what it eats.

Quote:
Quote:
Uh, you don't think it's kind of a bdieved instead of learning Torah from Moshe Rabbeinu?

Is that the program - that we all, no matter our background and level of knowledge, learn Torah from Moshe Rabeinu right away?

Or all the other neviim, chachomim and gedolei olam. You aren't serious that you think people will be downloading shiurim from the internet then?

Quote:
Quote:
Maybe because people will be interested in ruchnius and won't need all that gashmius.

The most spiritual people today use cars and phones etc. ... I'm not sure what "all that gashmius" refers to. If it will be used to serve Hashem, teach Torah and enable one to function optimally to accomplish those things, they are used l'sheim shomayim.

No one mentioned cars and phones which are technological answers to doing things people have always done more quickly and efficiently. I'm sure everyone can decide for themselves what 'all that gashmius' means for themselves.

Quote:
Quote:
I can't really see what preparations those in EY need to do anyway, apart from continuing to work on themselves as we need to do anyway, whether or not Hashem chooses to bring the mashiach at this particular point.

It might be an act of Ahavas Yisrael to prepare everybody living in EY for Yemos Ha'Moshiach, not just look out for oneself. "Ani es nafshi hitzalti" is a rather selfish perspective. Gedolim of all persuasions have been urging us to reach out to those who were not blessed with a proper Jewish education.
[/quote]

Which is part of working on ourselves.

baschabad

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 6:18 am
Shalhevet- I loved it!!

(Sorry that people are giving you such a hard time about it!)

Motek

Post Sun, Oct 12 2008, 5:13 pm
shalhevet wrote:
You mentioned the eagles, not me.

It was the first thing that came to mind. The next thought was - eagles? isn't it clouds?

Quote:
You aren't serious that you think people will be downloading shiurim from the internet then?

Do you think the millions of tinokim sh'nishbu are ready to learn from neviim, chachomim and gedolei olam? Do you think they will miraculously become knowledgeable? I don't know.

Quote:
Which is part of working on ourselves.

I don't see the connection.

As for the thread in general, I think it's a good idea to treat the coming of Moshiach as a realistic happening that may occur today and to think where we will be and what we will do when we hear the shofar blast, so although I differ on some of the specifics you wrote thanks for posting.

Motek

Post Sat, Oct 18 2008, 9:47 pm
ChossidMom wrote:
SarahO. wrote:
Scratching Head

I thought Moshiach was comming on Hoshana Rabbah...

Says who? Scratching Head

A Medrash says that Gog's defeat will occur on Hoshana Raba.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics