Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
Moral issue-- extra money
Previous  1  2  3  4

fish123

Post Thu, Sep 25 2008, 11:41 pm
plus isn't there a halacha of keeping the laws of the land you live in??? therefore things that may be halachically permissible but are illegal in your country should still not be done??

Motek

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 11:03 am
kerith wrote:
it is stated that we are obligated to do so if not doing so will cause a chillul hashem. I'm pretty sure $10,000 would qualify.

That is only if they would figure out that she had it and know that she is Jewish. The amount of money is irrelevant.

Crayon210

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 11:22 am
From Reb Yaakov: The Life and Times of HaGaon Rabbi Yaakov Kamenetsky zt"l, pp. 107-108-
Quote:

No doubt the most famous incident involving Reb Yaakov in Tzitevian - and one which he felt was a mitzvah to publicize - involved the local postmaster.

Shortly after he assumed the position as rav, a Jew came to Reb Yaakov and told him that the postmaster had mistakenly given him change for a hundred-lit note instead of for the ten-lit note he had given him. Reb Yaakov advised the man to return the money.

Several weeks later, Reb Yaakov was in the post office and this time the postmaster gave him more stamps than he had paid for. The smile on the postmaster's face as he handed Reb Yaakov his stamps alerted him that the postmaster was deliberately testing him to see whether the other Jew had just been an honest fool or had been acting according to the dictates of the new rav. Reb Yaakov was delighted that he had been presented with such an opportunity for Kiddush Hashem and instantly returned the extra stamps.

Years later, he learned from survivors of Tzitevian that the postmaster had been one of the few locals who had been willing to hide Jews in his cellar, and he was convinced that such displays of honesty had been a major factor in that decision.

alpidarkomama

Post Fri, Sep 26 2008, 1:39 pm
Motek wrote:
kerith wrote:
it is stated that we are obligated to do so if not doing so will cause a chillul hashem. I'm pretty sure $10,000 would qualify.

That is only if they would figure out that she had it and know that she is Jewish. The amount of money is irrelevant.

Actually, the amount of $ is relevant. If it were a quarter, no one is obligated to return it even to a Jew because the amount is considered negligible and will cause no pain to the person who lost it.

Motek

Post Sun, Sep 28 2008, 11:09 am
Nowaday a quarter is considered less than a peruta? Who says that?

and I was obviously responding to your comment that $10,000 would qualify, as though it being such a large sum makes a difference, as opposed to $1000 or $100, or $10 ..

ROFL

Post Mon, Sep 29 2008, 1:10 am
about 7 years ago a similar thing happened to my father --- a deposit showed up in his account ( I think it was by an insurance company ) and we went to the bank we wrote them a letter--we wrote the insurance company a letter asking why they deposited the money--- we sent it return receipt so we know they all go the letters -- the money is still sitting in the account-- my father is afraid to use it and they still have not taken it back !! I spoke to a lawyer and they said we should wait a few years then it is ours !! so soon we will be able to use it !!!

amother

Post Mon, Sep 29 2008, 1:45 pm
rachel4kids wrote:
we sent it return receipt so we know they all go the letters -- the money is still sitting in the account-- my father is afraid to use it and they still have not taken it back !! I spoke to a lawyer and they said we should wait a few years then it is ours !! so soon we will be able to use it !!!

As of today, the bank still hasn't taken the money out. How many years did you wait?

amother

Post Thu, Oct 16 2008, 10:36 pm
amother wrote:
rachel4kids wrote:
we sent it return receipt so we know they all go the letters -- the money is still sitting in the account-- my father is afraid to use it and they still have not taken it back !! I spoke to a lawyer and they said we should wait a few years then it is ours !! so soon we will be able to use it !!!

As of today, the bank still hasn't taken the money out. How many years did you wait?

OP here. Two weeks later, and the money still hasn't been taken out. Her Rav said that since she went to the bank and informed them, if they do not take it out, she can have it (according to halacha).

Now that I have read her all your posts, she is scared to keep the money. She isn't sure what to do. I told her to wait until after Hoshana Rabbah and see what happens.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions