Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Son at Bar Ilan

birdstar

Post Thu, Oct 23 2008, 5:57 am
My son just left for Bar Ilan for school. He is supposed to be staying in the dorms there but they are like apartments and he has to do all his own cooking and set up his own kitchen. Any ideas where he should get kitchenware cheap? Is there some sort of exchange thing where past students donate their stuff and new students can buy or borrow it cheap. Where are the best places to shop? This is my youngest and he literally just left for the airport an hour ago. I am kind of freaking out here. He has been to Israel 4 times before, but this is the first time he will not know anyone in his program. It is also the 1st time he has to do all his own cooking. I am not sure how long you can live on couscous, wacky mac and french toast. Those are the 3 main things he knows he can cook. Any advise?
I know he will probably be fine but he is my baby.

hila

Post Thu, Oct 23 2008, 6:07 am
First of all - relax. it is really hard to starve to death here.
Rmember tehre is plenty of ready made food here too, and a college canteen - which I ate at once or twice.

For cheapish dishes etc he should look for Sheshet if there is one near him.
Maybe let him start on plastic and a couple of pots.
He can also try the local shuk for cheap stuff. Remind him to tovel plates etc.

PM me for my phone # - so he can ask questions if he wants. I am not near Bar Ilan, but can help by phone.

Is that the umbilical cord I hear tearing ?? Smile

birdstar

Post Thu, Oct 23 2008, 10:46 pm
I know I have to relax and trust him, he can get by on his own for the most part. He actually will be landing in Tel Aviv in about 1 hour from now. One of his friends moms called yesterday to get his flight info as a bunch of his friends from here (who are now in different programs around Israel) are planning a surprise party for him at the airport. I guess he will never be too far from his friends and only a phone call from home. Even though most of his friends are in programs where most of their stuff is taken care of, they have all been there for almost 2 months already and can help him get acclimated. I will call him after shabbos and I am sure everything will be fine. I guess if he is going to save the world I have to trust his instincts.

Tamiri

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 12:52 am
You'd be amazed at how these kids manage!
Bar Ilan is just about a hop, skip and jump from Bnai Brak, and he can find everything and anything he wants on the main drag there, Rabbi Akiva. There are so many students there, they will all help each other. He's not going to Timbuktu, you know!
One of my sons attended last year, but he's in the army now.
What is your son studying?

birdstar

Post Sun, Oct 26 2008, 8:48 pm
He is currently in the one year program for americans- torah v derech eretz so will be taking general secular studies and I am not sure what yeshiva studies he will decide to take. I guess they are supposed to attend all classes offered this next couple of weeks and then pick what he likes. When he comes back (god williing next year) he will be studying at University of Michigan at the college of engineering and he wants to go into alternative energy. He is very much into tychun olum and decided he can do his part by developing clean alternative energy to get us away from oil and polluting our world even more than we are.

By the way I spoke to him on the phone today and I have officially stopped freaking out over his being on his own.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions