Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Saving accts at the same time as paying off debts.

amother

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 6:21 pm
we have a large credit card debt that we are desperatly trying to pay off but theres always new expenses, simchas, yom tov...........
at the same time my children are getting older and we literally have a few hundred dollars in savings total. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that is in a similar situation and is saving money for children instead of paying off debt?
if yes how much do you save for your children a month?

Crayon210

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 6:44 pm
If your interest rates in savings are lower than your interest rates on the credit card (most likely), then you're throwing away money every month if you choose to put away to save.

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 6:50 pm
Crayon is right--to a certain extent. Savings act as a cushion to prevent up from piling up more debt. Therefore, even if you are trying to pay down debt, you want to put enough in savings that if something goes wrong (unexpectedly large bill, job loss, medical situation, etc.) you can pay for it without accumulating more debt.

After that, throw all your money at your debt as fast as you can.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 7:20 pm
I agree with the last 2 posters. Have a little cushion (a few thousand), and throw everything else at the debt.

In fact, if IYH you send off your kids with no debt, you'll be ahead of a lot of other Americans who have "savings"(bc that's usually a lot less then their debts). Also, without monthly payments, that will free up money to go to other places.

Crayon210

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 7:23 pm
Yes, I agree that some savings are important. But I don't think a person needs to put away for their kids while they still have CC debt.

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Oct 28 2008, 7:40 pm
Oh, I wasn't talking about putting away for kids. I was talking about an emergency fund if something cv"s drastic happens.

OP--you mght be interested in this blog.

http://orthonomics.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics