Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Telling stories about peers

miriam

Post Mon, Dec 12 2005, 11:31 pm
My four year old tells me on a regular basis about a particular girl in her class that makes in her underwear. The conversation usually moves onto about her still being a baby. I usually just ignore her and we move onto another topic to discuss. Should I curb her speech? Should I tell her it's not nice to talk about others?

stem

Post Mon, Dec 12 2005, 11:35 pm
I think my 3 year old understands about lashon hara. It makes a big impression when she is in the middle of telling me a story and I say "I want to hear your story, but don't tell me her name because it's lashon hara"

deedee

Post Tue, Dec 13 2005, 12:00 am
I would mention that its not nice to talk about other people then move on to another topic. I do this with my 7yr old when she starts talking about girls in her class.

miriam

Post Tue, Dec 13 2005, 12:03 am
How do you find a balance between letting them know they can share things with you but not speaking loshon hara?

deedee

Post Tue, Dec 13 2005, 12:07 am
I guess let them know that they should tell you if they were hurt by a friend (physically or emotionally) so u can help them deal with it in a healthy way. if u feel they need to talk about their day, which includes stories of their friends, ask them to say s/t nice about the friend or what mitzva they did today. focus on the positive.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics