Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Down to my last $200

Strudel

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 4:54 pm
Just went to the bank and got the biggest shock. After we pay the rent, we'll have just under $200 until Friday. I lost my job during the summer and since then we have major problems making ends meet.
Of course more bills arrived today. One credit card bill (which I chopped up months ago), Medical bills for $2000 (if only I could get pregnant after an $18 dip in the mikvah, rather than $30000 worth of treatment!), internet (which is also the phone line. Cell phones were ditched a whilw back). Plus its forcast to snow later this week. Winter boots and coat? Only in my dreams! Food???? Finally, we have to pay the government $600 this week for my Green Card.

Imamothers, I'm off to daven for all of us who struggle everyday...but never give up! Very Happy

Last edited by Strudel on Mon, Nov 03 2008, 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

amother

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 4:58 pm
I gotta say I give u alot of credit for being soo strong and faithful! I wish I could be so strong and faithful with much lower bills....Hatzlacha

chanagital

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 5:02 pm
First of all find out if you have food banks in the area the Jewish Community Center in your area can help to help you get through with food and they might have winter jackets you can have for free...they might be used but used is better than none at all.

Next talk to the credit card company... they might be able to make a deal with you so you don't have to pay it right now. The more pple you owe and you talk with honestly the more you might find out there are programs or other things that can help you. Remember are not the first one with money issues and I am sure you won't be the last. I mean the hospital might give you a year to make the first payment or even give you a payment plan. You never know till you talk to them. By speaking to those pple you owe they might be able to work with you. It might mean you owe a little more money in the long run but it is well worth it for the piece of mind. Btw some of the utility companys have public assistance companys that can help you pay the bill... they might pick up only one bill... but that might be all that you need.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 5:08 pm
I think u said you're from chicago
contact the ark or chicago center for torah and chesed
they may be able to help

best of luck

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 6:46 pm
I would kill for $200 until Friday.

amother

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 6:52 pm
I have $0.00 till Friday since this week was the first, plus we paid some bills we have $0.00 untill next paycheck which is Friday, so if I had $200 it would be good. Not to say it aint hard to only have $200. but having $0.00 is not better. I am pushing off going to the grocery untill Sunday, will have to make it work.

supermama2

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 6:59 pm
(((hugs))) Remember that beans and rice are cheap and you can do a lot w/ them. We're trying to do more of that these days.

Strudel

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 7:20 pm
Ladies, you're right in saying that $200 is better than $0. The issue is we have bills we must pay this week.
The IVF clinic doesn't give financial aid, so want paying asap. US Immigration won't understand that Yom Tov ate up all our cash- I need to file for my Green Card this week, no choice. The debt collector who keeps calling doesn't care if I'm unemployed and in the middle of a high risk pregnancy- he wants his money!

B"H, these should be our only problems.

chanagital

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 7:32 pm
all those pple will have to wait... and you just have to tell them you don't have money... what are they going to do? I would concentrate on the green card all else can wait. Debt colecter and all in fact I screan my calls so I don't get those calls on purpose if they have an issue then they have to work with you don't get nasty just simply become a broken record and say I have no money. They won't take your baby back right? and besides in the united states you can walk into any hospital and get heath care they have to see you that is the nice thing about being in a place that is sue happy. They might pester you forever but you don't have to pay.

alpidarkomama

Post Mon, Nov 03 2008, 8:59 pm
Do you know about Bonei Olam??? It is a group of tremendous chesed that pays for IVF and other treatments. They may even cover expenses you have already paid for. Here's the link: http://boneiolam.org/

frumnurse

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 5:32 am
I am so sorry for what you are going through. I do blog about saving money, although it is dificult to do when there is no money. Turn to the chesed organizations in town, thats what they are there for- I am sure they will be able to help in some way.

grin

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 5:59 am
sounds really rough. hope that all the important things in life turn out wonderful - besha'a tova!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 1:00 pm
Midwest, I hope you can read this.
I have a maternity coat I've never worn (someone gave me) and I'd be happy to send it to you if you need it. Let me know.

flowerpower

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 1:27 pm
It's hard! Is there a way to help you with the basics like food stamps? I know it's not a first choice but at least until the bills get lower. I say davening and having bitochon always helps. Just when we needed money for rent so badly after we had our first and I was not back at work yet... we got a check of the exact amount we needed for rent from someone that owed dh money...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics