Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Help for LA trip

littles

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 3:30 am
We are heading to La thursday morning thru Sunday for my brother's wedding. We will be staying in Beverly Hills at the hotel where my brother is getting married. He is not frum and the wedding is motzei shabbos. So, our plan is to spend Friday night in our hotel room as we have a5.5 month old and 2.5 year old who are going to be way off schedule due to the 3 hour time change. We have spoken with Rabbi Schusterman at the chabd of beverly Hills and he told us we would have no problem finding a place for Shabbos lunch after Shul on Shabbos. I am the type that likes to make plans, so I am just wondering how true this is or if I should try to make more concrete plans. And how would I go about doing that?

Also, what restaurants are close to Beverly Hills ( I have never been to California). Are the restaurants on Pico close by? We will have a rental car and our GPS so we can get around a little, but I hear traffic is terrible and I don't want to spend our entire short trip in the car. Also, is there somewhere we can take out food for Friday night. My sister-in-law ,mentioned Pat's (I think) but she is not frum so I am not sure if she knows what she is talking about.

Any advice would be really appreciated!

mom2bsn

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 3:50 am
pico has great restaurants and is a 5 min drive from beverly hills. pats has a good hechsher but its pricey. Pico Kosher Deli has shabbos take out which is decently ppriced. Mazal Tov and enjoy!

littles

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 4:17 am
Thanks so much mom2bsn.

challi

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 6:14 am
try this link and type in the ness info. It will list any resaurants in the area. Call if you have any ?'s since it allso gives addresses and phone #'s

http://shamash.com/kosher/

teachby

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 6:46 am
Depending on where you are staying in BH, the Pico restaurants could actually be walking distance. There are also lots of shuls in that area. If you say what hotel you are staying at, we could help you even more. If you don't want to post it, PM me.

rachel6543

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 7:02 am
Pico is one block from where Beverly Hills starts, so it should be close to where you're staying. As to Kosher restaurants, Pat's is good, but it is $$$. Pico Kosher Deli is good and as mom2bsn wrote, is more decently priced. If you like Chinese, Shanghai Diamond Garden is very good and very reasonable.

Can you try calling the shul to get set up with a family so you'll have more definite shabbos lunch plans? I've never been to Rabbi Schusterman shul, but if he said you shouldn't have a problem finding a meal, then I wouldn't worry. People are very easy going and welcoming in LA. When I was single and I used to live in LA and I never had a problem finding a place to go if I needed one.

Feel free to PM if you have more specific questions. Depending on where you're staying, I might even be able to help set you up with a meal.

littles

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 5:05 pm
We are staying at the Four Seasons hotel, which I think is on S. Doheny. If anyone knows of a family or another shul to contact, please pm me. We would like to have definite plans for Shabbos lunch and don't need to be at Chabad, but don't have anyone to help us out there and thought Chabad would be the most helpful. Are there other shuls in beverly Hills?

spinkles

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 8:59 pm
What about Aish? It's a really nice group of people and they're very big into hosting people for Shabbos. If you look on their website (www.aishla.com), they have the name and phone # for the Shabbos hospitality coordinator.

As far as takeout for Friday night/shaleshudos, there are lots of options. If you go to Pico-Robertson and drive along that section of Pico, you'll see plenty of restaurants and can figure out what looks appealing. Traffic should not be scary, it's very close to where you're staying.

Try www.greatrestaurantsmag.com for reviews and more info about some of the restaurants.

teachby

Post Tue, Nov 04 2008, 11:08 pm
Okay, now that we know where you are staying, here is what you should know about your shabbos morning walk to shul. The Four Seasons is at Doheny and Burton Way. That is 6 long blocks from Beth Jacob, which is at Olympic and Doheny, and 8 long blocks from Aish, which is at Pico and Doheny. Also, on Pico, pretty close to Doheny, you have other shuls such as Young Israel of Century City, Chabad, Bnei David Judea, Adas Torah (on Beverly Dr.), and some Persian and Sefardi ones, too. Going north from your hotel instead of south, you could also go to Young Israel of North Beverly Hills. I'm not exactly sure where it's located these days, but at one point it was very close to that hotel. You could probably contact any of these shuls to find out about lunch arrangements.

As other people have said, there are lots of places along that stretch of Pico where you can buy food for Friday night.

teachby

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 6:33 am
One more thing--since I noticed the ages of your children. You will obviously have to check the eruv status before shabbos. (877)378-8463

Regarding the list of shuls I mentioned above, I'm honestly not sure which ones are and are not "stroller friendly".

littles

Post Wed, Nov 05 2008, 3:30 pm
Thanks so much for all of your advice, we actually got set up with a family close to our hotel, a Chabad Rabbi. Thanks Teachby about the eruv, that probably would have slipped my mind!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics