Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Heat temprature

amother

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 7:05 am
what temperature do you heat you house?
I know it's supposed to be slightly cooler at night to make it easier to sleep.
The apartment I'm renting right now seems to be cold majority of the time. I walk around with a sweater all day, and only give my children baths in the morning, because when they get home from school I'm cold.
My landlord tells me that he cannot raise the heat more, because the house will be a sauna. I think it has a long way to go.
But just to be certain, I'm going to go out today and buy a thermometer to check what temp it is at a different times of the day. Maybe I'm just a cold person, and the house is not cold at all.

Anonymous because someone might know my landlord and I do not want to say loshin harah.

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 12:19 pm
is the heat set at the same temp. for the whole building? cuz heat rises. so if you live on a lower floor, your apt. will be cooler than an apt. on a higher floor. did you discuss it w/ a/o else in the bldg.
personally, we have our own thermostat for our apt. I don't think it's so accurate, but we set it at 70 during the day when we're home. we lower it about 5 degrees when we're not home.

nicole81

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 12:38 pm
I keep it at 68 during the day, 69-70 in the evening before we go to bed, and 64 when we're sleeping. it *is* the winter, it's normal to have to walk around in a sweater. heating is especially expensive this year, and a lot of landlords are keeping the temperatures just at the legal limits, which are a lot colder than you would think. in nyc, for example, the heat has to be at 68 degrees between 6am and 10pm (when mine is at 68 while I'm in the house, I wear a sweatshirt and sweatpants, and sometimes even have to curl up under a blanket.) at night, it only has to be at 55 degrees. if you don't live in ny, you can probably google the guidelines for your city. if you measure the temperature and it falls within the legal limits, there's nothing much more you can do aside from bundling up.

shopaholic

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 1:04 pm
Amother, you sound just like me! We have been renting 1 floor of a 2 family house for 4 years & every year its the same story for me. The landlord would only let us turn up the heat to 68. I was always still freezing & hours would go by without the heat coming on. I bought a thermometer & it showed that the house was as the thermostat said & still the heat didn't come on. Landlords can be really difficult, even if they live in the house with you (which she did). Now, we have a new landlord, who doesn't live in here, & he is more reasonable. He had the thermostat moved upatairs so it works better & comes on more often. I'm still not warm enough, but that must be me. I have bad circulation.

Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I can totally sympathize with you, but unless u own your own place (which by next winter we better be in our new place that we own), u have to suffer Sad Try getting space heaters, but be very careful. A lot of homes have had fires from them. Good Luck!

amother

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 1:32 pm
Try to see at the other side of the picture. We have a small building with a few apartments, the heating bills are now over $800 a week. I don't know about all you tenants out there, but as owners we have no picnic. The rentals barely cover the costs of the mortgage, and after that there is the not just expensive but murderous oil bill, the liability home insurance for heavy thousands, the taxes for heavy thousands, the water and sewage bill for heavy thousands, the boiler maintenance for thousands, the constant need for roofing, plumbing , appliance and electrical repairs, exterminating and more. We don't make a cent of profit from our rentals.

Then we have some smart aleck tenants who self righteously proclaim war on us for keeping the heat at the legal limit. They walk around in cotton short shirtsleeves as though it would be mid-August, and complaining loudly, withold or deduct rent. They don't know or care that my husband can't even buy a sweater of his own so he can be comfortable in our own cold apartment. Or a new coat, when his old one is so shabby and worn in many places.

We live extremely frugally, don't buy furniture (everything is second hand that we bought years and years ago) we haven't been able to paint our own apartment for many years, in our struggle to maintain this older house, pay the mortgage and taxes. we are terribly behind in tuition payments for our children as well, and only thanks to the kindness of the administrations who bear with us, can we continue to send them to school.

I would welcome advice on how to convert the units to self-heating, as most newly built units are, before we get foreclosed and lose our only asset , may Hashem protect us.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 1:50 pm
613 wrote:
is the heat set at the same temp. for the whole building? cuz heat rises. so if you live on a lower floor, your apt. will be cooler than an apt. on a higher floor. did you discuss it w/ a/o else in the bldg.
personally, we have our own thermostat for our apt. I don't think it's so accurate, but we set it at 70 during the day when we're home. we lower it about 5 degrees when we're not home.

I live in a 2 family house, with the landlord living on the lower floor.

momof3 wrote:
Anyway, what I'm trying to say is that I can totally sympathize with you, but unless u own your own place (which by next winter we better be in our new place that we own), u have to suffer Try getting space heaters, but be very careful. A lot of homes have had fires from them. Good Luck!

I'm scared of space heaters, I have children who are very active, and I cannot always be in the same room as them.

amother wrote:
Try to see at the other side of the picture. We have a small building with a few apartments, the heating bills are now over $800 a week. I don't know about all you tenants out there, but as owners we have no picnic. The rentals barely cover the costs of the mortgage, and after that there is the not just expensive but murderous oil bill, the liability home insurance for heavy thousands, the taxes for heavy thousands, the water and sewage bill for heavy thousands, the boiler maintenance for thousands, the constant need for roofing, plumbing , appliance and electrical repairs, exterminating and more. We don't make a cent of profit from our rentals.

when you rent a house that includes heating in the contract, you expect to get that. In fact one of the reason I signed on this house rather then another was because of the heating.

Meema2Kids

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 8:36 pm
Wow, it's probably because I'm expecting B"H but we keep the temp at 59 at night and 63 during the day. I wear a sweater, and the kids have undershirts and heavy shirts and wear socks and slippers inside. We also put plastic sheeting on the window and insulated our doors (we rent so we can't put in new windows, otherwise we would). It really helps. I don't think it's unreasonable to dress more warmly etc during the winter instead of relying on the furnace to keep us comfortable.

amother

Post Tue, Dec 20 2005, 10:14 pm
Quote:
when you rent a house that includes heating in the contract, you expect to get that. In fact one of the reason I signed on this house rather then another was because of the heating.

Do you also expect to walk away with the landlord's house, just because half a century ago the city wrote up these unfair regulations, when oil costed .o5 cents a gallon? Do you expect the landlord to give away his car, and all earnings, the shirt off his back? Take his kids out of school for child labor? What was in the contract, that the owner has to sell himself into slavery to support your fantasy of living in luxurious sunny Florida?

The reason people rent instead of buy, is because they EXPECT to live in luxury, buy fine furniture and enjoy having a roof over their head WITHOUT paying anything but a simple little rent. No taxes, no sky-high mortgage, no repair bills, no water bills, no insurance bills, no thousand dollar a week oil bills, no responsibility, and most of all no thoughtless tenants to give them aggravation.

Basically, for getting away with nothing, you should at least understand the plight of the owner who is not allowed to have any profit from their hard work, and investment of a lifetime of savings, and instead everything ripped away under the most lawless robbery of skyrocketing oil bills.

Meema2Kids wrote:
I wear a sweater, and the kids have undershirts and heavy shirts and wear socks and slippers inside. We also put plastic sheeting on the window and insulated our doors (we rent so we can't put in new windows, otherwise we would). It really helps. I don't think it's unreasonable to dress more warmly etc during the winter instead of relying on the furnace to keep us comfortable.

You're exactly the kind of tenant we like Smile . A little consideration goes a long way, and when tenants are considerate we try to help them whenever it's possible. We are fair and live up to obligations and committments although it's so difficult, and that's why it's so hard when they just don't care.

amother

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 5:02 am
This is a different amother. I just want to share my experience. We were renting the bottom floor in a house. Before we moved in the there was a broken window which the landlady promised to fixed but never did. So there was actually wind blowing in. And regarding giving heat: the landlady actually got mad at me for not working all day because she planned to not give any heat when I was supposed to be out. (She didn't even ask about my husband, guys don't deserve any heat, right? Rolling Eyes ) Well I told her that I work odd hours and there is no schedule (true, and my schedule is not her business anyway,) she decided on her own schedule: she turned the heat on when she came home and turned if off when she left. Thank G-d she was unemployed so it was on sometimes. But we never could know for sure... And we never felt warm. Oh yes and somehow the hot water was connected to the steam. So I could be in middle of a shower and suddenly there'd be no hot water. Once I had to prep for the Mikva in cold water in the middle of winter in a draft. (No, I did NOT soak for half an hour.) Anyway just wanted to share a tenants perspective.

Bottom line I think it is less a financial isssue than an issue of being a mentsch.

PS. We moved out after five or six months. I don't think she has found anyone to replace us. Oh and we also chose to go there because we thought we would have it BETTER in a house.

Newlywed

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 6:27 am
B"H, I have it really well. LOL

I live in a basement of a house. My landlord lives upstairs from me. We have our own heat system and our own thermostat so we can set it however we want. It's usualy left on 70 when we're home, and lowered when we're in work/yeshiva/sleeping to about 65-68.

Estee2

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 7:22 am
Thank G-d we own our own home and pay our own heating bills;
($200 +/mo. this season) however, I find drinking hot drinks and
serving warm soups helps a lot, if you are cold !

lucky

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 9:03 am
Estee2 wrote:
, I find drinking hot drinks and
serving warm soups helps a lot, if you are cold !

Warm yourself from inside out. LOL

red sea

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 9:20 am
69 during the day and 67 at night. But some houses have heating that is broken and one floor or part of the house gets really warm and another stays really cold and there is nothing you can do about that except install a new system, I don't know but it's possible that could be the case.

ElTam

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 9:41 am
We keep the heat at 67 during the day, 65 at night.

At the moment, I am wearing a skirt, leggings, a skirt, sock, an undershirt, a shirt and a sweater. I'm still a bit chilled but I don't want a $600 heating bill.

I think it's unreasonable to expect not to wear a sweater in the winter.

In terms of space heaters, look around, because they do have one's that are ceramic, and don't get so hot. We have one of those in my daughter's room. It said "cool touch" or something on the box. It also has a switch so if she tips it over, it turns off automatically. In general, we only run that at night or when we are giving her a bath.

Mandy

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 10:13 am
Are you sure you are wearing a skirt ? LOL

amother

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 10:24 am
I recommend silk underwear. You can get them from Land's End. They are thin so that your clothes will still fit nicely, and you feel all warm and toasty without the bulk. You can sleep in them too.

I don't usually wear the pants but I am wearing the undershirt under my shirt right now, and I am perfectly comfortable even though I am usually always cold compared to most people.

Sorry to everyone who hates the anonymous postings - but I know that I really can be identified by this as I have been "advertising" silk underwear for years.

raizy

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 6:20 pm
I am not a landlord and I am not a tenent I live in a 3 stories house everyone owns there own flat. well we all pay the gaz bill. it comes out to 150 a month. that is hot water connected to it.

I am suffering terriabley. the downstairs neighbor controls the heat . well she put it on but she cooks and bakes too much.which jewish mother doesnt cook and bake so on thursday and friday I am cold like @@@@

I want to know how does one go about changing the thermometer so it should take a reading from a different floor. oviosly the first floor is not the best floor it shuold be on.

MatzosMama

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 10:10 pm
We have a saying here at our house....If you are cold, then you are not wearing enough clothing. We do turn the heat up if we are having guests over, but I will say that our bathroom is soooo cold, that the shampoo kinda froze. Now that is cold!!!!!

raizy

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 7:32 pm
yes after wasting 3 vims I realized what the problem was. I kept it in my kitchen where the cubboard had no heat and it froze away.....
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics