Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Follow Up w/ Neuro (ADHD)

frumluv

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 1:29 pm
So back in May my 6yr. old ds was diagnosed w/ ADHD. Fortunately during the summer we did not have any issues. Well now for that past few weeks, ds has had several meltdowns. I am at the point where meds would probably be beneficial for him.

Are there any questions I should ask about the meds, besides side effects, etc.
From personal experience, which meds work better w/ young kids.

Thanks!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 3:43 pm
My son turned into a zombie from an alternative to Ritalin (I wish I could remember what it was, it was 14 years ago) Ritalin also didn't work after a year or so. So I did nothing for a few years, just fielded calls from the Yeshiva & other parents until I took him to a psychologist. It worked like a dream. No more meds, no more meltdowns, fights, running away from school & so on. He's amazing! (I mean my son!) Whatever the psychologist did it worked. Can you see someone who specializes in ADHD in kids? BTW, there's a hereditary component. My father was definitely ADD & I think I am too. I don't have the H, though.

I feel for you, I really do. Good luck!!

soldat

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 3:50 pm
I've seen great sucsess with adderall, and I heard the patch is great, because if you put it on late u can take it off before bed and it won't interfere with sleeping. but to echo last poster meds aren't always the answer.
have you read delivered from distraction? (ned hallowell)
I found as a teenager that I hated the meds and I self medicated with caffine and I still do.

good luck!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 3:51 pm
ADDERALL!! That was it!!! Thanks, Soldat. It made DS scary.

greenfire

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 3:54 pm
not an easy call - each kid reacts different to even the same medications ... my advice KEEP AN EYE OPEN while listening to the doctors advice always make your own decision - you see him the most and get a better idea of the effects ...

good luck !!!

amother

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 5:09 pm
I had an appointment today for my son to have an EEG. In the EEG lab was a sign about how many times, sleep disorders are misdiagnosed as ADD/ADHD.

Just something to think about.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics