Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Bra shopping for young ladies
Previous  1  2

amother

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 11:51 am
I went bra shopping myself when I was 13. I had to be the one to tell my mother it's time to get a bra. She didnt want to come along with me and wanted to send my sister instead and I refused. I also refused to have the saleslady measure me. She just looked at me while I was clothed and gave me a bra. I didnt even want to try it on at the store, I was soooo embarrassed. Even now when I get myself a bra I feel extremely embarassed having the saleslady see me. I"YH when my daughter will be of age to get a bra I'll find out what she's comfortable with. If I'll have to measure her myself, I will. I'll make sure she's extremely comfortable. I'll do whatever it is she wants me to do I"YH.

greenfire

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 12:05 pm
by the way - you can buy good quality and pay less at places like marshalls - you merely have to spend more time looking to know which brands those are ... I would never do anything to make my girls feel uncomfortable - and buying them I think becomes a very personal thing because people want comfort and support and don't need some stranger poking in measuring you ... I myself was mortified at the thought at a pretty young age shock embarrassed

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 12:09 pm
I wouldn't recommend ordering online for a first bra, since I really do think they need to be fitted and tried on, but you can order online...

http://www.maidenform.com/home.jsp

http://www.balicompany.com/

http://www.hanes.com/Hanes/Default.aspx

amother

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:
I went bra shopping myself when I was 13. I had to be the one to tell my mother it's time to get a bra.

story of my life. I begged my mom and she said it wasn't necessary. went shopping with a friend who told me everyone starts with a 32AA, and was nearly cut in two over the next few months as the band cut into my ribcage, which was much wider than hers.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 29 2008, 12:19 pm
when I decided it was time for dd she was not so interested but I didn't give her a choice. It was definitely time! I gave her a tape measure and a booklet on how to measure, and calculated the size based on the measurements she took herself in her room. We went to a big dept. store, where we selected a bunch of different styles in that size. I explained how to put it on and how it's supposed to fit, and sat in the next cubicle while she tried them on in privacy. Once she had narrowed down the selection, I had her try them on under her shirt to make sure she had a smooth fit, that it didn't show through the fabric, and if one was iffy, she tried the next size up or down.

Since she fitted herself, there was a chance she didn't get the 100% exact perfect fit, but it's unlikely I'd have done a whole lot better and there was no way she was going to allow a stranger to help. It was important not to embarrass dd, esp. b/c it was my idea, not hers. Last thing I wanted was for her to refuse to wear it b/c I'd embarrassed her.

greenfire

Post Fri, Oct 24 2008, 11:16 am
okay after all these months - we get a mazel tov - booby traps galore ... she found some that are not sports bras ...

elak

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 3:59 am
Most of my shopping is done online and I pick it up when I go back to States for a visit. Thanks to your advice I was able to pick a sports bra that my daughter is happy with. Now comes the question I measured her and she is 31 and a half , the bras com in sizes 30 and 32. Is it better to buy too tight or a bit loose?

Tia for an advice

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 4:00 am
Go up in size. Worse comes to worse she'll either grow into it faster than you can imagine or it will shrink a little in the wash.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 4:21 am
My dd had one with a picture of Tweety Bird. My thought was, "Are you a baby or a woman?"
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children