Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Two kids+ poll
1  2  Next

How on top of your kids do you need to be?
I can leave them alone for long periods of time  
 17%  [ 10 ]
I can get a few housechores done.  
 34%  [ 20 ]
For a few minutes, but I may come back to trouble.  
 41%  [ 24 ]
not even for a minute.  
 6%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 58

princessmommy

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 11:37 am
I can rarely leave my 2 and a half and almost one year old alone for a second. Someone will get bopped on the head or the house trashed. Thank G-d they are good kids- just in need of constant supervision. I have friends that can leave thier 2 kids in a play room for long periods of time. I am amazed! Wondering who else is a FULL TIME MOM. Gotta go-number 2 is pulling at my skirt and complaining that I have ignored him for 2 minutes too long.

Tovah

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 11:43 am
I have 2 kids under 2 and they can play nicely for up to 30 mins sometimes. but when they need me they come to get me or I'll hear a scream. I always check on them everyfew mins or so just to make sure things are going ok and they are not into trouble but I can definetly get work around the house done and cook as well. sometimes I have to work in shiffs or all bring them in the kitchen with me.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 12:53 pm
My 2 1/2 yr old is always stting on my 1 yr old & holding him down. This happens if I leave them for a few minutes. Other times, everything is ok. Try & give the kids something to do b4 you start your chores. Or, put the baby in the high chair with a snack & the older one at the table. That way they are separated.

nobody28

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 12:55 pm
Now that I have kids that are a little older (almost 8 and 6 1/2) I find that they all play quietly and nicely much longer. The older ones take care of the younger ones (4 and 2)

supermommy

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 1:10 pm
Smile Thanx Nobody28. I feel comforted in the thought that when my little ones get older they'll help out a bit with their younger siblings. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed and wonder how people manage with such large families without having a nervous breakdown or a need for a chiropractor from shlepping around a baby all day.

nobody28

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 1:13 pm
I felt the same way. I had 3 under the age of 4. I thought it would never get easier. It did - in some ways.

Now we just have different things to worry about! Smile

imanut

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 1:29 pm
when my second was born the ped. told me never to leave them alone together even for a few seconds. I can see why Exclamation

uandme

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 1:53 pm
depends how close together they are and how old they are

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 2:24 pm
My older 2 I could always leave alone together, the boys though only for a few minutes.

shaina punim

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 2:48 pm
my 2 kids I can leave a lone but they might get in to trouble and they probaly will be fighting.I let them help me clean when I clean or fold the laundry with me, so I can get some things don when they are up.

Yael

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 2:56 pm
if you asked me this a year ago I would have answered, I cant leave my kids for a second b/c levi would get into trouble right away.
I had to constantly supervise and if I was in another room I would constantly be listening for normal playing noises, and if the sounds stopped or I heard an unusual noise I would RUN!! and usually it was something destructive that he did. now B"H its much easier.
levi is no longer destructive, just curious and independent.

(like the time he helped himself to ice cream from the freezer at 4 am. how did he do it? well he pushed the stool all the way from the office where I had hid it hoping for no trouble, brought it to the fridge moved another chair nearby, climbed onto it and was able to reach the ice cream. I have to say that he was very neat. he got himself a spoon and cup and served himself. then came to my bed where I was sleeping and offered me some ice cream too. yes thank you levi that is very nice of you to offer me ice cream at 4 am, now go put the cup in the freezer where it can wait till the morning, and go back to bed.)

but yeah it does get easier. Very Happy

shira

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 3:39 pm
My 3.5 yr old and 1.5 yr old are PARTNERS in crime. They would LOVE to be left alone for a few minutes but I don't usually allow them such a luxury. Every so often, I will sit both down at the table laden with cereal and I'll take a (very very) quick shower. As long as they are eating, they're all right. See my blog for more details...............

Meema2Kids

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 3:43 pm
I've learned never to leave my kids alone with an open box of cereal within reach...... Banging head

shira

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 3:57 pm
yeah, I learned that one the hard way too...............now they get bowls of cereal and the box goes straight back to its spot on top of the fridge.

Tovah

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 4:21 pm
are u not nervous abt choking, especailly with your 1.5

imanut

Post Wed, Dec 21 2005, 6:48 pm
yael LOL

shira

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 2:37 pm
I don't give them anything that is a choking hazard. I don't even give them anything thats a chocking hazard if I'm sitting right next to them! They aren't going to do any choking on corn flakes.

1stimer

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 3:39 pm
Well, I don't really qualify to be on this thread (got 1 son) BUT I can't leave him alone or get anything done with him awake. He's either bored or up to trouble (read: throwing his socks down the toilet, jumping on the files he pulled out of the bookcase etc.)

raizy

Post Thu, Dec 22 2005, 11:01 pm
I am laughing so hard. its good to know that I am not the only one who went through this stage. I wouldnt leave them alone for a second.. now I do.

my kids are older and more mature. they wont do all the destructive behaviors... and they dont let my baby do them eighter.. yah for me...

but if I need to cook and want them all contained I will put them all in the toy room with a gate on. so I can hear everything yet they cant reck the whole house.

LubavitchLeah

Post Sun, Dec 25 2005, 3:28 am
Yael, your ice cream story is soooo adorable, what a cutie, he seems B"H!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics