Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Cleveland - Shabbat hosts

levial

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 9:20 am
Hi,

Does anyone know of shabbat hosting resources in Cleveland?

Unfortunately, my father is not doing so well and I have received permission to work remotely from our Cleveland office for a while (ie 3-6 months with travel back and forth as needed). I'm an only child and I have to make the right decision to be there for my folks, but unraveling a life to relo is going to take some time.

I wish we could rent and pay mortgage but we can't, so we are putting our house on the market (FL) which may take several months to sell and will result in a loss of much down payment/equity. It's the right thing to do- I will find a perm. job in Cleveland hopefully and then we'll move.

We are going to live with my parents to save rent and to be more helpful with meds and doc appointments. They have a 2 story house and don't go upstairs anymore, so the 2 br, 1 bath, tv room will be like a small apartment.

Issue
They do not keep Shabbat. They do not live within the eruv. They do not have a kosher kitchen. They are very respectful and understanding, so it's not thank G-d an issue of conflict- we just need to figure our logistics.

Fortunately, when we visit they've accumulated enough supplies for a temp kitchen (fridge, convection oven, microwave) and there are numerous food resources from the kosher subway and prepared foods at the kosher markets. I can make do for months on the food topic.

The issue will be that we'll need to be a guest somewhere in order to keep Shabbat (as opposed to locking ourselves upstairs and not going to Shul, etc). I can't necessarily prepare gourmet multi-course meals for us, which is fine, but there's not really a hotel in walking distance, nor do I anticipate spending 2 nights worth of hotel fees every week for half a year is in our budget.

Please send me a PM or post if you have thoughts/ideas or contacts for shabbat hosts. We have some shomer shabbat/kosher friends but after 3-6 months I hope to still be friends with them impeding on hospitality and hope to spread out so we are not a burden on just one or two families. Thank you in advance.

NotSoNewKallah

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 10:14 am
Which area in cleveland do they live in? or closest to which frum community?

spinkles

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 11:36 am
Chabad and the Jewish Learning Connection are good contacts. They both have websites: www.chabadofcleveland.com and www.clevelandjlc.com.

What "type" of frum are you? What type of Shabbos hosts would be ideal for you, in terms of hashkafah, age, personality?

levial

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 11:39 am
My folks live in Pepper Pike, we used to live in Beachwood before we relocated for work to FL.

Not sure what you mean by Type of orthodox; we're fairly mainstream- cover hair with shaytel at work, tichel at home, keep shabbat, keep kosher. We have a three year old daughter, I'm mid 30s, my husband is mid 40s.

NotSoNewKallah

Post Thu, Nov 06 2008, 12:38 pm
I assume that means you are willing to walk to beachwood...

Contact Chabad of Beachwood. They can set you up by different people so you wont feel bad going to the same people all the time. 216-381-1770

birdstar

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 4:31 pm
You can also contact the NCSY office through there website. They will know lots of families in the area. Beachwood/Pepper Pike area is a very Jewish area. When my son would go to cleveland with NCSY they were always housed in that area.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 16 2008, 6:43 pm
it's one thing if you were in walking distance ... but sounds hard to have something set up for every shabbos for 6 months ...

it might be easier once you are local and get to know a few peoples ...

good luck !!!

Charnahlah

Post Wed, Nov 26 2008, 8:11 am
Hi...interesting. I grew up in Pepper Pike and went to Orange. PM me - I'd love to have you for Shabbos and set you up with people.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating