Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Salads & Dips
How to make chatzilim? pls help

youngmom

Post Wed, Dec 07 2005, 9:22 pm
I'm never made chatzilim before and was looking up some recipes. they all start off the same way: cook on open fire. what does that mean?
please help

sarahd

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 4:15 am
It means you're supposed to roast the eggplant on your stove without a pot. You should wrap it in foil so it doesn't splatter all over your stove. Alternatively, what I do since I have a glass ceramic stove is wrap it and bake it under the broiler in my oven.

princessmommy

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 4:54 am
I bake it in my oven- prick with fork all over first! Then wrap in foil. Work fine.

shoshana

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 6:03 am
The way I make it is super simple. I just poke holes in it, put it in a small foil pan, bake in the oven. (The other ingredients are fresh crushed garlic, salt, lemone juice, some mayo.) That's it!

queen

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 6:08 am
I make mine......
slice eggplant in half (length wise)
place flesh down on greased pan.
prick with fork.
bake or grill

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 6:30 am
Does anyone bake, roast, or broil WITHOUT the peel? if you don't mind, to post how you do it Idea

proudmom

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 7:45 am
I cut mine in half lengh wise then I put it face down and cook it for 20 minutes. It comes out really good.

happymom

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 7:48 am
sara yehudis, I bake it without the peal. I peal it, wrap it in foil and cut many holes in it with a knife. (not cut more like stab it..) then I put it in the oven on 400 for about an hour and a half. I then mash it and add fresh garlic, salt, lemon juice, and a drop of sugar. its really yummy and easy!

Last edited by happymom on Thu, Dec 08 2005, 7:54 am; edited 2 times in total

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 7:49 am
Thanks, happymom

Motek

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 11:49 am
proudmom wrote:
I cut mine in half lengh wise then I put it face down and cook it for 20 minutes. It comes out really good.

cook it? not bake it? how do you cook it? and for such a short time! others say an hour and a half!

what else do you add?

anybody have exact amounts for the other ingredients?

momtomany

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 1:06 pm
its quicker to cook if you cut it in half. I cut mine in half and bake on highest temperature in the oven. whenever I remember to check it I poke it with a finger to see if its soft. usually takes less than an hour.
make sure to spray the tinfoil with PAM before putting down the eggplant or it will stick.
I put in about 2 heaping TBs of mayo, a teaspoon of vinegar or lemon juice. and a dash of salt. 1-2 cloves garlic depending on size, crushed.

Last edited by momtomany on Thu, Dec 08 2005, 1:12 pm; edited 1 time in total

youngmom

Post Thu, Dec 08 2005, 1:11 pm
thanx all for the responses. like tzivi wrote on another thread, it's amazing how we post our problems/questions etc, go to sleep and wake up to get so many helpful tips.

I did it the way queen and proudmom suggested. it came out delicious.

yes motek, I only did it for 20 minutes and it came out gr8.

thanx so much. I appreciate it

taralynng

Post Wed, Dec 28 2005, 6:48 am
Hi,

I use the "open fire" method. My husband INSISTS that it makes a difference in taste, I.e., that charred, burnt taste that he prefers. (I don't really like chatzillim so I don't have an opinion either way.)

I wash eggplant. Wrap in foil. Place over flame on a back gas burner. Put flame as high as it will go without burning the aluminum foil. Then I just leave it there while I am doing other things in the kitchen. Periodically, I go over and turn it with tongs and check to see how it is doing by squeezing it with the tongs. I want it to be soft all over. Time it takes depends completely on size and shape of eggplant and on how good I am at going over and turning it.

Then refrigerate to cool. When cool, remove foil and pull off peel.

PS- for my husband, he doesn't like it to be stringy so I try (if time allows) to use a hand blender to make it a smooth consistancy. Also, he likes it to be made with "good quality mayonnaise." I've discovered what this really means is a lot of mayonnaise of any brand.

mother of 2 princess's

Post Wed, Dec 28 2005, 1:18 pm
well I put it in the microwave for 6 mins and stab it first with a knife. I then let it call down scape the inside out add garlic mayo salt and pepper and liquidise with a braun stick
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics