Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
My newborn doesn't cry - is something wrong?

amother

Post Sat, Nov 29 2008, 6:19 pm
My baby is 4 weeks now. He doesn't cry. We wake him for feeds. He will give a small cry if he is uncomfortable from gas. Otherwise - he seems to be a normal healthy baby. Is there something wrong that he is so quiet or am I just lucky?

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Nov 29 2008, 6:27 pm
My first child was a model baby. She slept from feeding to feeding for 6 months. Only then did I notice one day that she was staring at a toy in her crib at 6 months! If your baby is unusually sleepy, sleeping tightly every time he needs to eat, I would definitely mention it to the doctor.

raizy

Post Sat, Nov 29 2008, 7:27 pm
hahah my baby also had to be woken from sleep to feed. it doesnt last long. count yourselve lucky... now she is happy go lucky . but does cry a little for a feed. I do run to her the minete she goes wah so I dont really know if she can or cant cry.. and she is 5 months. but she will cry if tired.

ganizzy

Post Sat, Nov 29 2008, 9:18 pm
babies should wake up on their own for feedings. if your baby is gaining nicely and having normal amts of wet and dirty diapers then he is prob fine

HindaRochel

Post Sat, Nov 29 2008, 10:31 pm
amother wrote:
My baby is 4 weeks now. He doesn't cry. We wake him for feeds. He will give a small cry if he is uncomfortable from gas. Otherwise - he seems to be a normal healthy baby. Is there something wrong that he is so quiet or am I just lucky?

Babies can't cry tears for about a month. If that is what you mean by crying it is possible that he simply doesn't have the ability yet; his tear ducts will start working soon.

If he is peeing about 8 to 12 diapers a day and pooping regularly, your breasts are full before nursing and lessen afterward, or he drinks down a good part of his bottle, he is probably fine.
Many babies are sleepy for the first few weeks, especially if you used an anesthesia during birth. (but not always and sometimes those babies who are born without any anethesia are also sleepy).

All of mine were born sans any anethesia and there have been times I've had to wake them to nurse them.

He just may be a very easy going baby or he is quite content; the milk is coming in fast enough for him, he is feeling warm and cozy, so he is happy!

hatzlacha.

cubbie

Post Sat, Nov 29 2008, 11:12 pm
Dd1 was like that, she just didn't cry, even when she was hungry, she would just do this little ah sound, there was nothing wrong with her, she just wasn't a cryer. I got a big shock with dd2 who was a very loud cryer - every baby is different, and as long as she's eating, and dirtying diapers, that's what's important.

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2008, 12:01 am
B"H at almost 5 months my baby is not a crier in general and once in a while if I hear him scream, I'm quite shocked. He is just calm and happy. If he wakes up from a nap. he'll coo for a while and doesn't usually cry to be fed. He'll kvetch a little. Before 4 months, I would hear a "waaah" sound - not a loud cry at all. I'm waiting for that to change but who knows? Maybe it won't. He's gaining fine and I don't wake him for feedings. But I'm not nursing anymore so I am not uncomfortable. Just be happy your baby doesn't cry a lot. My other kids were loud, it is a nice break.

greentiger

Post Sun, Nov 30 2008, 6:22 am
When my baby was a newborn I also had to wake her for feedings.

greenfire

Post Sun, Nov 30 2008, 7:27 am
I wouldn't suggest pinching him to check ... some babies are just more mellow - enjoy him ...

square_peg

Post Sun, Nov 30 2008, 7:34 am
My 5 year old hardly ever cried when he was a baby... if he was hungry, he sucked a finger.. very hungry - 2 or 3 fingers.. starving - 6 fingers (3 from each hand) Not that I let him starve, but thats how I found him in the morning, or after a long nap.. lol..

Just a happy kiddo!

amother

Post Sun, Nov 30 2008, 8:46 am
Yes mention it to his doc, what could it hurt? Also, just make sure that he can hear....When he can't see you just bang something loud and see if he reacts. Otherwise, I'm sure there's nothing to worry about...

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Nov 30 2008, 4:51 pm
I know exactly how you feel--b"ah my son was always like this.
As a newborn he rarely cried. He slept A LOT and was sleeping through the night (like 8-9 hours) as soon as he was 6 weeks old--on his own no sleep training, no force-feeding before bedtime, etc.
Whenever he got a new tooth we only noticed afterwards--he would sometimes show signs of teething by drooling and putting things in his mouth but he never cried! He even has most of his molars now--the first which he got at 10 months--one day I was feeding him and said, "OMG! He has a molar!!"--There there no signs of teething.
The only time he cried--well shrieked was when he was having a really bad reflux attack (he had Sandifer's symdrome) and once I totally eliminated all dairy and chocolate from my diet he was fine.

My husband and I are so worried we won't know how to deal with a "normal" baby--If our next one I"yh cries when gassy, hungry, stays up all hours to nurse, screams when teething we're not going to know how to manage!!

klotzkashe

Post Sun, Nov 30 2008, 7:21 pm
I would check yourc child's weight gain. see if they are thriving. my daughter lost alot of weight and didn't cry bc she wasn't getting the calories because my milk was not enough for her. if she's thriving then not crying might be her personality. with my daughter, she just didn't have enough energy to cry.

shoy18

Post Sun, Nov 30 2008, 8:22 pm
manhattanmom wrote:
I know exactly how you feel--b"ah my son was always like this.
As a newborn he rarely cried. He slept A LOT and was sleeping through the night (like 8-9 hours) as soon as he was 6 weeks old--on his own no sleep training, no force-feeding before bedtime, etc.
Whenever he got a new tooth we only noticed afterwards--he would sometimes show signs of teething by drooling and putting things in his mouth but he never cried! He even has most of his molars now--the first which he got at 10 months--one day I was feeding him and said, "OMG! He has a molar!!"--There there no signs of teething.
The only time he cried--well shrieked was when he was having a really bad reflux attack (he had Sandifer's symdrome) and once I totally eliminated all dairy and chocolate from my diet he was fine.

My husband and I are so worried we won't know how to deal with a "normal" baby--If our next one I"yh cries when gassy, hungry, stays up all hours to nurse, screams when teething we're not going to know how to manage!!

sounds like my ds, he rarely cried, and was sleeping the night at 6 weeks as well. He was a happy content baby, even now at 4 hes an all around good kid, kh. When he cut his first two teeth he woke up in middle of the night crying and both dh and I couldnt figure out why he was up, the next morning we saw the teeth, that was the last we heard of the teething the molars were also discovered by accident.

then came dd and she was trouble straight away, she cried on the way home from the hospital... never a good sign., but shes adorable kh and we still love her crying and all!

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Dec 01 2008, 9:28 am
shoy18 wrote:

then came dd and she was trouble straight away, she cried on the way home from the hospital... never a good sign., but shes adorable kh and we still love her crying and all!

That's exactly what we're worried about!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics