Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Dishwashers

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 7:31 am
Does anyone have a Parve dishwasher or use a meat/dairy one for Parve things as well?
I have no dishwasher and never had a parve one. I have parve washed utensils piled up to the rafters after cooking and baking today. Previously they were piled in the sink.
Grrrrrr. I hate the mess.

ss321

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 7:53 am
what types of utensils are "parve"? I dont rly know what you mean. The only "parve" things I have are 3 or 4 knives for cutting veggies and a serving spoon. Everything else goes in the dishwasher. If I make a cake (in a cold bowl that was washed in a fleishig dishwasher) w/ fleishig keilim then it cant be eaten w/ milchigs. So I just know, stuff that goes in the milchig dishwasher, even if it is a parve food such as rice, if its cooked in a milchig pot, cant be eaten w/ meat, and vice versa.
How many parve dishes and stuff do people have?

RachelEve14

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 8:18 am
WE just got dishwashers and I was going to ask our rav if we could run a cycle in between to use it for parve. I know some rabbiam now will allow you to use one for milk & meat (we didn't ask, we wanted seperate) so I have been wondering about parve.... Now my parve dishes pile up in my (clean) meat sink and then I drain them in the dishwasher.

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 8:31 am
ss321, I guess it depends on how you run your kitchen. I don't bake milchig or fleishig, ONLY pareve. So my mixer is pareve, all my spatulas, cake tins, wooden spoons are pareve. I have a pareve chopping board and knife set (so I don't have to try to remember what I used to cut the onion or the lemon). All my cake stuff and cookie stuff is pareve.

Actually, that's why we put in the laundry room sink. Usually my pareve stuff accumulates on the counter, and I wash it over the double sink. Every so often I have to hide it or get it out of the way though, and then I'm grateful for the laundry sink!

ss321

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 8:59 am
Thanks for clearing it up marion! Yea I guess its a matter of how you run your kitchen. My mom never did things like that so nor do I....
Isnt it annoying though??
I have the parve knives for onions, tomatoes etc, and like I said, a few spoons. But can you explain why its easier (I am just curious!) to have a few parve things, rather than one milchig one fleishig? maybe its just because we have very little dairy. A few xs a month and thats it (like sometimes I make "breakfast" for dinner-pancakes crepes french toast cereal-my favorite dinner lol.) I have a small milchig cuisinart/mixer that I got as a wedding gift. Ive used it maybe 3 or 4 xs. do you eat alot of milchigs?

Tamiri

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 9:18 am
For Parve (I am like my mother): Full set of Wusthof knives
Full set of All Clad pots and pans
Many glass mixing and serving bowls
All my metal baking pans besides maybe 1-2 dairy
All my Tupperware
All my Rubbermaid
A couple of sets of measuring cups and spoons
Large and small cutting boards
Mixing, stirring, whipping utensils
Magimix
Wok
Kenwood
Stick Blender

The bulk of my things are parve. No dish sets or cutlery sets or cups.
I cook as much as possible parve and serve in parve bowls with parve spoons etc. so we can eat it dairy or milk.

sky

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 11:01 am
At least their washed.

I have a ton of parve baking stuff and I don't use it in my fleishig dishwasher (the best gift dh ever got me)

I love baking pareve so we can eat it whenever. However, since I got the dishwasher I cook kugels I used to make Pareve in meat pans because the clean-up is easier.

But baking I still do strictly pareve.

Marion

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 12:54 pm
ss321 wrote:
Thanks for clearing it up marion! Yea I guess its a matter of how you run your kitchen. My mom never did things like that so nor do I....
Isnt it annoying though??
I have the parve knives for onions, tomatoes etc, and like I said, a few spoons. But can you explain why its easier (I am just curious!) to have a few parve things, rather than one milchig one fleishig? maybe its just because we have very little dairy. A few xs a month and thats it (like sometimes I make "breakfast" for dinner-pancakes crepes french toast cereal-my favorite dinner lol.) I have a small milchig cuisinart/mixer that I got as a wedding gift. Ive used it maybe 3 or 4 xs. do you eat alot of milchigs?

No, it's more annoying to have bits and pieces sitting in containers in the fridge that then get thrown out. If the baking is pareve, we don't have to think about it. Also, when we go out I take baking, and I like that other people don't have to worry what kli I made it in.

I don't know where you're located, but in Israel there's not a ton of storage space in the kitchen. It's easier to have one pan I can use with either than to have duplicates that I have to have storage for.

Yes, we eat a fair bit of milchigs. Every morning, and I usually make milchigs for the kids for supper so that the leftovers for Shabbat are for DH (he needs the meat more than we do). Fish I do milchig, for example. And the kids are happy to have pasta with cheese every night, if I would allow it. I only cook meat for Shabbat; any meat we have during the week is leftovers.

(For the record, my mom has a whole set of pareve dishes, teaspoons, and dessert forks as well, which is what she uses when she has people over for entertaining on Shabbat. That way she doesn't have to worry who ate what or how long ago.)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics