Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Learning l'iluey nishmas ...
Previous  1  2

mugsisme

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 4:27 pm
avigailmiriam wrote:
octopus wrote:
Are any of you ladies actually going to take a mishna? Confused

I'm not. I do, however, want to discuss the d'var torah posted which is factually wrong.

I spoke briefly with Rabbi Dr. Twerski today. After explaining to him your concerns, he wrote me a reply.

Quote:
In the U.S. several decades ago, abortion was a crime. Today it is government supported.
The country was outraged when Dr, Kevorkian assisted a patient to suicide In 1999, began a 25 year prison sentence for physician assisted suicide. Several states have already legalized it.
Why?
Euthanasia was always a No-no. Today there is serious consideration to legalize euthanasia, out of "consideration for the patient's suffering."
How blind can we get? Medicare is threatened with bankruptcy because 80% of its expenditure is in the last 6 months of a person's life. Face it. Society feels too many people are living too long, and too much is being taken out of the paycheck for social security.
Oregon will not pay for certain medical procedures for people over 80. Let them die. How long before your state follows suit?
When right and wrong are determined by vote or the courts, when ethics are decided by what is expedient for society, we are in trouble.
Germany decided that Jews are not good for society. Six million of our people, my relatives and yours perished in the Nazi gas chambers. The law justified it.
When infant mortality and childhood diseases, pneumonia and tuberculosis cut down the nation's youth, abortion was a crime because the country needed people. Today, the human being is no longer necessary. Human beings have become a commodity.
If there is no absolute, unchangeable basis for right and wrong, we are in trouble.
A. Twerski

Can someone PLEASE take upon themselves to give over daled? I bet you can even find something online.

avigailmiriam

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 4:29 pm
Ah, interested. I didn't realize he was referring specifically to the US. Thanks for clearing that up.

bubby

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 5:00 pm
C'mon, people, it can't be so hard if I could do it! Don't leave it to mugsi, me, & Octopus!

chabadshb

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 5:02 pm
I`ll do Mishna 4, I`ll post soon

chabadshb

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 7:31 pm
For Wednesday, Mishna 4

Yosay Ben Yoezer Of Tzredah And Yosay Ben Yochanan Of Jerusalem Received [The Oral Tradition] From Them. Yosay Ben Yoezer Of Tzredah Said: "Let Your House Be A Meeting Place For Sages; Sit In The Dust At Their Feet, And Drink In Their Words Thirstily"

Let Your House Be A Meeting Place For Sages
One's dwelling should continually serve this function, to the extent that it defines the nature of the home. Then, even when the Sages are not present, their influence will continue to affect the events that transpire within.

(Sichos Shabbos Parshas Acharei, 5722)

Sit In The Dust At Their Feet
It is possible that a person will become proud that sages frequent his home. Therefore, the mishnah emphasizes the importance of conducting oneself with humility.

(Sichos Shabbos Parshas Acharei, 5722)
Alternatively, the term "dust at their feet" can be interpreted figuratively. "Feet" can refer to the sages' students, and "dust" to negative attributes.

During the time of Yosay ben Yoezer, gaps appeared in the chain of tradition and differences of opinion arose between the Sages.[21] When this happens, it is natural for "dust to be stirred up" by their students, as each tries to argue the virtues of his own teacher's position. The mishnah teaches that one should "Sit... at their feet," and "drink in their words," for by patiently opening oneself to the teachings of the sages themselves, one will offset any negative influence that might be generated by the "dust" of their students.

(Sichos Motzoei Shabbos Parshas Matos-Masei, 5739)

mugsisme

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 2:07 pm
L'iluey nishmas:
Gavriel Noach ben Nachman HY”D
Rivka bas Shimon HY”D
Aryeh Leibish ben Nachum Ephraim HY”D
Bentzion ben Chaim Dov HY”D
Nechama bas Yaakov Eliyahu HY”D

(I believe one name is missing, but I am not sure of what it is. Feel free to copy and paste in front of each new learning.)

Perek Alef, mishna hey (from Aish.com by Howard Witkin, original Article HERE.)

Yossi ben Yochanon from Jerusalem said: "Let your home be open wide to the multitudes. Let the poor be like children of your home. And don't overemphasize light conversation with your spouse."

They said this about one's own spouse, how much more so about the spouse of your friend.

Thus said the scholars: "One who overindulges in light conversation with his spouse brings evil upon himself, nullifies the words of Torah, and in the end will inherit Gehenom."

LET YOUR HOME BE OPEN WIDE
If the ultimate expression of kindness is one human helping another, then the home is the perfect setting. In our society we have divorced ourselves from looking after one another. By creating a bureaucratic "safety net," we have removed individuals from the process of helping the less fortunate. We tend to view the impoverished with fear, discomfort, apathy, annoyance, callousness or resentment. For most people, caring for the homeless and indigent is a function of government, of the same order as filling potholes and carting away the litter.

Yossi ben Yochanon says that to make kindness "real," you have to bring it home. Merely writing a check to support community institutions is not sufficient. You'll help the poor, but it won't have nearly the same effect on you personally.

Take an active step and reach out. Make your home open to those who require help, assistance, or just companionship. Make yourself available to help people with their problems. Of course this does not mean giving up your own privacy. Find the healthy balance.

LET THE POOR BE LIKE YOUR CHILDREN
Nobody enjoys being poor or needing help. There are serious issues of pride and self respect. Helping people retain their view of themselves as significant members of society is as critical a component of kindness as feeding them.

Your children certainly depend upon you for food, clothing, shelter, emotional support, companionship, education and more. Nevertheless, no parent would make a child feel ashamed or resented for being so dependent! Judaism says the poor should be treated the same.

A home is a powerful force -- providing comfort, refuge, calm and love. Part of the purpose of helping those in need is to bring them in and show them a healthy family lifestyle.

There is a lot more to this article on the aish.com site. You may want to go read the whole thing.

BTW, is anyone else going to take a mishna?

rachie

Post Thu, Dec 04 2008, 3:56 pm
Pirkei Avot 3:3

Rabbi Chanina ben Tradyon said: If two people sit together and do not exchange words of Torah, it is a company of scorners, as the verse states, "In the company of scorners he [the righteous man] did not sit" (Psalms 1:1). But if two people sit and exchange words of Torah, the Divine Presence rests between them, as the verse states, "Then those who fear God spoke one to another, and God listened and heard, and a book of remembrance was written before Him, for those who fear God and contemplate His Name" (Malachi 3:16). From here we learn only about two; how do we know that even one who sits and studies Torah that the Holy One, blessed be He, allocates for him reward? For the verse states, "Let him sit alone and be still, so that [a reward] will be given to him" (Lamentations 3:28

Jewish tradition teaches that the soul resides in the mind. And by explaining why the mind is the repository of the soul, we can begin to understand the divinity that sets human beings apart from every other creature with whom we share the earth. Humans have the ability to speak whereas animals and inanimate creatures don't.

Words are the medium through which our ideas shape themselves and direct our actions, and the words we speak define the essence of who we are and what we will accomplish. It is for this reason that the human mind contains the uniquely human soul: ultimately, it is our uniquely human intellect that, through the medium of language, enables each of us to forge a relationship with our Creator.

Indeed, speech implies, by definition, the presence of at least one speaker and one listener, and the benefits of Torah are most completely realized through the spoken word of one companion to another. Nevertheless, should we suppose that the opportunity to elevate oneself through Torah is limited to exchanging ideas with another, Rabbi Chanina applies his principle even to an individual left to his own company.

We can apply these ideas to Gabi and Rivky who got to know a tremendous amount of people. They learned with them and were able to communicate the beauty of Judaism with them. Let us all use our power of speech for good and inspire many people to do mitzvot!!
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics