Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Do you give kids' busdrivers holiday tips?-NY area

poemmom

Post Thu, Nov 20 2008, 3:16 pm
If you live in the NY/NJ area, do you give a holiday tip or non-cash gift to your kids' bus drivers? What?

Sudy

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 12:30 pm
I don't live in NY/NJ, but as I was growing up we always gave the driver a tip. Depending on who it was (kind/nasty) they all got a sealed envelope with different amounts of cash.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 12:34 pm
When I lived in NY, yes, I gave all my kids bus drivers a cash tip. I don't remember how much, though. I don't think anyone else by my bus stop did, but I might have not noticed.

tovasmom

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 1:04 pm
I do live in NY, and it is definitely expected to give cash holiday tips. As the previous poster indicated, the amount can be based upon performance. I tip at the end of the year, as well.

pecan

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 1:46 pm
chanukah time and end of the year.

manhattanmom

Post Sun, Nov 30 2008, 4:29 pm
When I was growing up in Brooklyn my parents ALWAYS tipped our bus drivers during Holiday Season as well as at the end of the year.
I don't know what my parents tipped
But you should probably consider: Is it door-to-door transportation? Do you or your child think the bus driver is anything extra special? Is it a small van or a big school bus?

cassandra

Post Sun, Nov 30 2008, 4:31 pm
I do. Last year I loved my child's bus driver and I tipped him well, this year I dislike my kids' bus drivers so I'll probably give less.

#1mama

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 10:37 am
how much is the norm to tip? this yr. is my first time sending child off so...........

Clarissa

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 11:58 am
I tip everyone. I buy love. I'd tip you guys, if you nodded to me in late December.

flowerpower

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 1:10 pm
I tip everyone during holiday season. I tip the drivers, bus rebbe, mailman, garbage men...

Barbara

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 1:31 pm
Clarissa wrote:
I tip everyone. I buy love. I'd tip you guys, if you nodded to me in late December.

Nodding to Clarissa. I could use the cash.

Years ago, someone saw me leaving tips for the garage staff in my building, and asked why I did that. I responded, *Because I like the fenders on my car* They saw my point.

Yes, we tip the bus driver. Last year, the Dept of Pupil Transportation, in its wisdom, switched our driver in mid-December, so we gave only a small tip.

shopaholic

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 1:47 pm
We have a Jewish bus driver so we give about $25 at Chanukah time. To the bus Morah we give tray of chocolates.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 2:03 pm
Barbara wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

Sorry, poor reading comprehension demonstrated so no tip for you.

Maya

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 2:06 pm
We tip everyone. (We're the only ones in our building who tip the super, though.)

Barbara

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 2:26 pm
Clarissa wrote:
Barbara wrote:
Clarissa wrote:

Sorry, poor reading comprehension demonstrated so no tip for you.

What, the 5th isn't late December? Its considerably later than the 1st!

Clarissa

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 2:31 pm
Right you are. Okay, here's a tip. Don't spit into the wind. Don't eat yellow snow. See? Two tips. Now you can't call me cheap.

j/k, the check is in the mail.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Dec 05 2008, 2:36 pm
Maya wrote:
We tip everyone. (We're the only ones in our building who tip the super, though.)

We give the super a piece of meat LOL . It's worth more than the cash we might give.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics