Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Equivalent of Uncle Moishy
Previous  1  2  3  Next

mother48

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 9:02 am
I can not stand the Torah Tots!! thier tunes are these loud, wierd sounds, words and tone of voice....besides giving me a headache, not s/t I want my kids to hear.

thier 12 pesukim CD is really not meant for lub kids. my kids know the 12 pesukim, and I don't need them singing them in wierd voices etc like the tape. s/o gave it to my husband, my kids liked it b/c it was wierd, but I kinda got rid of it (aka: took it out of the stero player)

I really like the Jewish Classic Songs Tapes.(but then again, I do like uncle moishe. mind you, when I was in a hotel and put on arthur for my kids, well, surprise, the theme song is his saftey song...but my kids are young enough to just think it was uncle moishe!)

Chaim Fogelman also has very nice songs.

goldrose

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 10:36 am
Firstly, I'd like to comment that for all of you rolling your eyes at me, if you can't bring yourselves to do something the ultimate Jewish way, perhaps you could at least applaud those who do their best.

Yes, uncle moishy had great values. I like the words he uses for his songs, even if the words arent about mitzvos (clap, dance, stamp your feet) whatever - if it makes children happy.

Still, remember all those discussions in high school about non-Jewish music? What is the problem with it? Not the words, of course. The words are changed to Jewish concepts. The style of the tune is not necessarily bad in and of itself. The problem is with the composer, and the thoughts he had while composing the song.

***The Rebbe says (Likkutei Sichos, Vol.1 P. 81):
Regarding educating children, immediately from childhood and on, we have to give them complete Yiddishkeit, without any compromises or heterim (allowances).
(p. 83): There are certain details about which we can argue that they aren't so applicable or important, are just a "hair thread"(unimportant). (p.84) But we have seen very clearly that not only did we lose the young ones whom we tried to raise in the way of compromise, but we also brought in a weakness in those young ones who were under this influence and very frum!.***

Who are we to decide which things are ok to compromise on, and which aren't? You think one thing is ok for compromising, and your child gets the idea that compromising is ok, and chooses something else!

And on p.85: "When we educate our children with the complete light, then, even when the sun sets and it's dark outside and getting darker, IN THE JEWISH HOUSES IT WILL BE BRIGHT AND GETTING BRIGHTER." The non jews are losing sight of what's true and right, and things are getting pretty bad out there. I'd like to keep it bright in my house.

If I can get the purest concepts transmitted to my children, through the purest methods - niggunim - isn't that the ultimate? Why settle for Bob the Builder??

Ahuva

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 10:46 am
This past summer during the nine days I attended a shuir that was about music and the impact it has on us....One woman asked about listening to plain classical music without words and the Rebitzen said that if it is classical (not upbeat, rock...) and she was sure that the songs were not composed for religous reasons. (church music) then it was ok. So I gather from that response that Uncle Moishy would be ok. Since non of his songs are close to Hip Hop, or Hard Rock, and Bob the Builder aint church.

goldrose

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 10:48 am
Ahuva, I don't know who the rebbitzin is, but why is it up to her to decide?

Ahuva

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 10:51 am
I don't think it is up to her to decide but I do believe that b4 giving a shuir she looked into the topic and didnt' just "decide" things on her own.

goldrose

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 11:14 am
Ahuva wrote:
I don't think it is up to her to decide but I do believe that b4 giving a shuir she looked into the topic and didnt' just "decide" things on her own.

Do you kow for sure? What is her source (book, rav etc)?

Ahuva

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 11:21 am
No I don't remember her source but she is a very looked upon rebitzen in our community (she gives kallah classes, and all of her brothers are well known in the chasishe world as mechanchim) And I would not have any reason to doubt her validity. I trust her on bigger greater issues than this.(Teharas Hamishpacha)

sarahd

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 11:34 am
I have heard the same said in the name of a rebbe (which one I of course can't remember.) He said the question is what the composer had in mind when composing the song. With classical music, it's often the composer's reaching for greater heights. Most pop is the composer reaching for the depths.

Of course there are those singers who have decided that they can be "megayer" the lowest tunes by singing them to Jewish words..... Rolling Eyes

leahj

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 11:58 am
My kids and I love love love the Morah Music tapes. Theys humm them and sing the words while they are just hanging around. It makes me feel great to know that they are occupying there mind with these tunes while going about their day.

hisorerus

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 11:59 am
Unless she is Lubavitch, I doubt she has the same sensitivity to non-Jewish music. (I don't mean that in a bad way.)

goldrose

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 12:12 pm
just to bring out my point a little better --

what do you think of a naked woman telling a beautiful dvar torah about keeping shabbos? the message is beautiful, but the delivery is disgusting!

timeout

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 12:49 pm
Goldrose are you really comparing naked ladies to Uncle Moishe?????

I think that you're taking the Rebbe's words and using them to cut yourself off from anything that is non lubavitch. The Rebbe never said to family or anyone else not to listen to Uncle Moishe!!!!

I am a graduate of Beis Rivkah High School in Crown Heights and was personally taught by members of the Rebbe's family.

If you want to be on a higher madreiga than anyone that's fine but to say that we shouldn't knock you since you are trying to be the ultimate is.....

buba123

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 1:05 pm
timeout wrote:
If you want to be on a higher madreiga than anyone that's fine but to say that we shouldn't knock you since you are trying to be the ultimate is.....

Thumbs Up

goldrose

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 1:10 pm
Oh, which members of the Rebbe's family teach in bais rivka?

goldrose

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 1:14 pm
and ps I don't claim to be above or better than anyone else. I said I am trying. I do what I can. And yes, it IS better to listen to niggunim than bob the builder.

no, of course I'm not comparing uncle moishy to naked women. that example simply illustrates my point. the end does not justify the means, especially since music is the pen of the soul, and when you listen to music, your soul is connected to the soul of the composer. If the composer is a [gentile], this can have a negative effect on your soul. Perhaps not immediate...somewhere down the line...you may not even make the connection.

Why take the chance?

And p.s. I dont have naked women in my house, but I do have one uncle moishy tape that has one song that makes me uncomfortable. I'm simply looking for something better.

buba123

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 1:35 pm
goldrose wrote:
Oh, which members of the Rebbe's family teach in bais rivka?

WOW - Rolling Eyes

goldrose

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 1:38 pm
why, buba? do you know any?

shoshana

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 1:52 pm
We all know that music is the pen of the soul. Therefore, music composed by a [gentile] has his non jewish soul in it. Of course, we'd rather have our chidlren's tender neshamos absorb tunes from good sources. In regard to niggunim taken from Russian songs, those were elevated spiritually by Rebbes which none of us nowadays are capable of.

Even knowing all this, I don't bite anyone's head off if they allow Uncle MOishy, etc., into their homes. Sometimes, although we know the ideal, we're not up to implementing it yet.

timeout

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 2:09 pm
Mrs. Schneerson who basically just spent the entire class telling personnal stories, and the Historia teacher I'm trying to think of her name she spoke at the Ten Yad auction, the one who the Rebbe told her family to wear onlyy pink dresses to there weddings?

P.S U didn't answer my question about the Rebbe before he was Niftar Uncle Moishe was definitely around and I never heard anything said in Crown Heights about not listening.

And what about the Shluchim around the world who are trying to bring in the non frum world by thinking of catchy acts and tunes that the non frum kids would like, the Rebbe never told them to stop?

I personally know a Shaliach in Long Island who had Bob Dylan (famous singer) come to shul on Yom Tov, and nothing he sang was even close to being Jewish.

micki

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 2:17 pm
back to the topic "hand in hand" is wonderful as is the sequel "I'm a chosid"
songs by chaim fogelman and wonderful lubavitch messages.
geared for 4+ but babies love it too.
and there is a tape called "12 pesukim " that is great, its short but the kids love it.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics