Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
"How to talk so kids will listen"...for toddlers?

anon

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 5:08 pm
I'm looking for a good parenting book for my almost 2 year old. This book has gotten rave reviews, but I wanted to know if it's applicable to 2 year olds (just turning 2, not almost 3).

What do you think? And does the book advertise what ages its good for?

Last edited by anon on Sun, Dec 07 2008, 7:07 pm; edited 4 times in total

shmoozer

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 6:53 pm
is that john gray's book?

anon

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 7:14 pm
No, it's by Faber and Mazlish..."How to talk so kids will listen, and listen so kids will talk"

chaylizi

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 8:38 pm
I don't know, but I'd love to find out. my dd won't be 2 for several more months though.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Dec 07 2008, 9:23 pm
I've definatly used a lot of the techniques for my kids for the last few years, since they were about 2. A lot was way above their heads though, especialy at just turned 2. They did have language delays though. A verbally advanced child might do better.

I also really liked "The Happiest Toddler on the Block" for the 2 - 4 age. If you want to get one book, get the toddler book now. A lot of the "how to talk" stuff that is relevent for 2yo this guy writes about also.

mamacita

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 6:51 am
I took a series of classes based on this book and their other book "Siblings without rivalry" and both are applicable to toddlers and even infants. Yes the language and reasoning skills aren't there, but they understand your tone and feel your emotions. The main part of the book is showing empathy for the child, not labeling, not condemning. These are things that can start before a child is verbal. We saw great results with my dd from age 1 with using the techniques to deal with tantrums. B"H, it takes hard work but it pays off.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 8:50 am
I own the book and have used some of the techniques in it, since even before I had the book -- a lot of it is common sense. And you can always use common sense to be mechanech children. And there are more tecniques I've learned and hope to apply, but I really like it as a concrete way to work on how I talk with them.
(I actually have been focusing on one thing from the book for a couple weeks until I have it down pat before progressing.)
My oldest is 3. I use it more with him than my almost 2 year old, but that's because I expect more from him.

RachelEve14

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 8:55 am
Sorry I should have been more clear. I just feel like How to talk does have good things for toddlers, but the toddler book has the same info (about empathy, age appropriateness, etc) except instead of focusing on all age groups (mostly older kids) it is made for toddlers (through age 4).

If you can only buy 1 book ever, but the HOw to talk. But if you want a book for now with lots of information and examples about temper tantrums instead of not coming home right away after school, get the toddler book (happiest toddler on the block)

anon

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 11:31 am
Racheleve, thanks for the info, I'll look into it

Mommamia

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 12:03 pm
anon wrote:
I'm looking for a good parenting book for my almost 2 year old. This book has gotten rave reviews, but I wanted to know if it's applicable to 2 year olds (just turning 2, not almost 3).

What do you think? And does the book advertise what ages its good for?
a great book for 2s is what to expect the toddler years.. I think youll really find it helpful.

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 12:05 pm
it's for 4 an up. until then, use 1-2-3 magic! works on husbands too!

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Mon, Dec 08 2008, 12:38 pm
I use 1-2-3 for my 3 year old as well Smile

ny_ima

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 7:48 pm
I don't know if this is in a book, but crouching down to kids eye level and talking softly and firmly so they know u mean business, certainly works! Be consistent and always praise when they do listen!

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Dec 09 2008, 7:51 pm
yes, 100%
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics