Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Yiddish: How do you say...?
1  2  Next

hisorerus

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 5:52 pm
I try to speak to my baby in Yiddish, but sometimes I get stuck for words! Anyone know how to say:
-bowl
-lid
(more to come!)

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 6:33 pm
Bowl -shissel

lid (cover) - dekel (there are some other words for this in the dict., but I'm not familiar with them, and don't know how they're used.)

hisorerus

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 6:38 pm
Do you really say a shissel of soup? I thought that word is only for Negel Vasser!

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 6:45 pm
I don't know. This is the word my husband told me long ago and to be honest I also felt funny saying that, but shissel is definitely bowl, think fruit bowl, salad bowl ,not just a big negel vasser one. Is it also a soup bowl, cereal bowl?

Maybe SevenSenses, Mommy912, chen, lucky, sarahd, anyone else can come to our rescue?Help

gryp

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 7:01 pm
shissel is all types of bowls.
but when it comes to food, I think its more common to use "plate."

hardwrknmom

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 7:04 pm
Neggel means nails. Vaser- water

Plate- is tellar

hisorerus

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 7:50 pm
So when I'm washing the dishes (how do I say dishes?) I'm washing a shissel, but when I serve it, it's a teller zup? I hope so! Thank you.

Is there a word for diaper? I just say, "m'darf beiten dein diaper." I know to say "truken" (dry) and "rein" (clean).

lucky

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 9:51 pm
Diaper is a diaper. Cloth diapers were called a vindel. But there is no yiddish word for disposable diapers.

I hardly use the word beiten. I say the yiddishenglish version of "changen" or 'toashen" is also used in this way.

There are many english words that are faryidisht.
Okay-
clean-
car-
train-
class-
school
store-
chair-
sink
light-

Where I live, yiddish is the language used in the home but it has hungarian and english words that are accepted as yiddish.

Frumom

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 10:52 pm
isn't a chair a bankel and a light- licht, school- cheder. So y use english for those? Just curious.

chavamom

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 10:56 pm
My Yiddish is pretty rudamentary. However, I once stayed by a Chabad family that spoke "Yiddish" with the kids. So many of the words were English and the others basic, that I understood every word!

"Du villst a peach?"

hisorerus

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 11:54 pm
lucky wrote:
Diaper is a diaper. Cloth diapers were called a vindel. But there is no yiddish word for disposable diapers.

Well, I use cloth diapers! So a vindel it is?

Mein farshtand fun yiddish iz a sach besser fun mein reden yiddish. Mein man ken reden a sach, ober er hot gelernt zein yiddish in Yeshiva, az er vaist nisht a sach verter vos m'nutzt nor in shtub. Ich hob gelernt a sach fun em, un ich pruvt nor reden Yiddish tzu mein kindt. IY"H vet ich lernen genug tzu nor reden oif Yiddish, un nisht tzu darft zogen "Mommy oisvasht dem dishes!"

Lucky- is "beiten" incorrect in this context (of changing a diaper)? I guess beiten is more "switching," but I never heard the word "toashen" before. It's pronounced "toe-shin?"

lucky

Post Fri, Jan 06 2006, 12:09 am
Toshen is the yiddish word for changing. It is used as toash=change or toashen= changing pronounce it toe-shen.

TzenaRena

Post Fri, Jan 06 2006, 12:13 am
You wouldn't use the word "ibertuhn" for a diaper right? But for changing other clothes, that's the word we use.

hisorerus

Post Fri, Jan 06 2006, 12:38 am
Yeah, that's the word I use for changing clothes. I guess technically with cloth diapers he IS switching diapers... so maybe it's not so terrible that I've been saying beiten- although it would be kind of funny with disposables.

Blossom

Post Fri, Jan 06 2006, 3:32 am
Beiten Has a German sound to it somehow.
I know yiddish pretty well but when I speak to my European Cousins I don't understand what they are saying sometimes. They speak the Reine Yiddish. While Here in NY it's Yiddish/English.

sarahd

Post Fri, Jan 06 2006, 4:00 am
Beiten means to exchange. Toshen the diaper sounds more correct to me. Ibertien isn't used with a direct object, as far as I can tell (eg. You say, "Ich vill mich ibertien" but not "Ich vill meine kleider ibertien.") We say "a teller zup". Schissel sounds to me also like a big negel vasser thing.

Blossom, I don't think your cousins are speaking reine Yiddish more than you. Theire Yiddish is just mixed with the words of their country's language, while yours is mixed with English and whatever your background. My Yiddish has some Hungarian in it, because that's my background. When I was in Ukraine, I learned to mix it with Russian and Ukrainian and my husband mixes his with Polish, because that's what he heard in yeshiva. He also uses a lot of German that you don't hear in standard Yiddish usage because that's his native language. Yiddish is a very flexible language.

Lucky, I'm surprised at some of the words on your list. They don't say benkel and licht and rein where you live? My Yiddish was never very good, but I always used those words.

Funny story: My sister was in the ShopRite parking lot with her two year old son and said to him, "Kim tzi der car." A little old lady (not frum, probably a Yiddishist) says to my sister, "Car isn't Yiddish, why don't you say it correctly?" My sister answered, "I'd love to know how to say it correctly. What's the Yiddish for car?" Answers the lady, "Otomobil!" LOL

lucky

Post Fri, Jan 06 2006, 9:08 am
I use 'shtib' instead of 'room'. But my things are in a 'closet', not a 'shofe'. I sleep on a 'kishen', not a 'pillow'. but I go to the 'store', not the 'gesheft.'
Yiddish is always mixed with the language of the country. There are some people I know that speak real yiddish with no outside influence. but the origin of some yiddish words (going back hundreds of yrs) is from different languages.

No one has come up with a yiddish word for computer yet.

shanie5

Post Fri, Jan 06 2006, 11:18 am
I know very little yiddish- I actually failed that class in school!
my father is the only one in the family who knows any of the language, and he rarely uses it. my dh knows it, but he is good w/ languages in general. we call what my dad speaks "yidlish"

Last edited by shanie5 on Sat, Jan 07 2006, 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

sarahd

Post Sat, Jan 07 2006, 2:46 pm
lucky wrote:
No one has come up with a yiddish word for computer yet.

Kompyudehr?

daisylover

Post Sat, Jan 07 2006, 8:28 pm
isn't a tzimer a room? shtub is a house... as far as I know!

when I use car in a yiddish sentence I always say it with a patach, so it flows better, "mir gain in di car"!!!

how do u say a cup? I always thought it was a becher, but was then told that that is specifically a kiddush cup...

anyone know?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics