Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
Equivalent of Uncle Moishy
Previous  1  2  3

Rochel Leah

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 2:26 pm
micki wrote:
back to the topic "hand in hand" is wonderful as is the sequel "I'm a chosid"
songs by chaim fogelman and wonderful lubavitch messages.
geared for 4+ but babies love it too.
and there is a tape called "12 pesukim " that is great, its short but the kids love it.

GReat suggestions micki..my son loves the 12 pesukim video from Jem.

I hears the same thing abtout the torah tots 12 pesukim cd, that they are weird sounding.

I am going to ry morah music the next time I am in ch.

BlumaG

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 2:33 pm
I just bought a rebbi alter tape and its really nice, lots of gr8 messages, soundsk ind of chassidsh, mainly in english but he has some yiddish songs too

goldrose

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 2:56 pm
Quote:
Even knowing all this, I don't bite anyone's head off if they allow Uncle MOishy, etc., into their homes. Sometimes, although we know the ideal, we're not up to implementing it yet.

I hope nobody will be accusing me of biting anyone's head off. Some posters on here were rolling their eyes at me for having an "issue" with Uncle Moishy, which is why I became so defensive.

Quote:
Mrs. Schneerson who basically just spent the entire class telling personnal stories, and the Historia teacher I'm trying to think of her name she spoke at the Ten Yad auction, the one who the Rebbe told her family to wear onlyy pink dresses to there weddings?

You're confusing things. Mrs. Schneerson was a computer teacher. What subject did she officially teach you?? The historia teacher is Mrs. Swerdlov, yes, she was the MC at Ten Yad. Mrs. Sternberg was close to the Rebbe's family. Not a member. She was advised not to wear white wedding gowns.

Quote:
I personally know a Shaliach in Long Island who had Bob Dylan (famous singer) come to shul on Yom Tov, and nothing he sang was even close to being Jewish.

Often you will find shluchim whose programs don't reflect what they expect of their children, and don't live up to the standards that they keep for their family.

Quote:
back to the topic "hand in hand" is wonderful as is the sequel "I'm a chosid"

Yes, and those are super, except taht they arent available on CD/DVD, and we have no VCR.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions.

TzenaRena

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 3:31 pm
buba123 wrote:
goldrose wrote:
we have one uncle moishy tape, and my kids like it, but I dont like one of the tunes, it doesnt sound jewish at all. this is his 2nd tape. I know his recent tapes definitely use bob the builder stuff etc. His messages are nice, but the tunes aren't what I want.

Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
As per my dad (who grew up with Lubavitcher minhagim...) one of the Rebbe's niggunim is the same tune as a Russian love song Wink My dh's and my song (") was the Titanic tune. I wanted to walk down to the chuppah with that tune. My in-laws agreed. My father, who is very frum said sure - if the Rebbe sang a song using the same niggun as a non-Jewish themed love song, why not?! MY dh chickened out at the end, so I didn't do it!
Just because the tune was used for a non-Jewish song doesn't mean it's Tamei. If it was heavy metal or rock or the like, I understand your hesitance. However, I own all of Uncle Moishy's DVD's and have never heard such a tune.
Uncle Moishy has paved the way for good quality Jewish kids music and should be applauded for that. I have seen him many times in person and he is a great role model for frum, Jewish children.
Music

Your dad may have grown up with Lubavitcher minhagim, but it seems as though the family may have departed from these customs and heritage, and perhaps joined another kehillah, since we don't choose the niggun to walk down to the chupah, it is always the same one, the Alter Rebbes's niggun of "daled Bavos", and you don't seem to be aware of that.

About the Nigun that you classify as one of the Rebbe's niggunim being a Russian love song: Can you tell us which one by name , or by number perhaps? (you can go to Chabad.info, or 770live.com and check through the collection of niggunim, I am very curious).

Quote:
But your story reminds me of another one, when the Rebbe was agonizing over the ominous decree of "Who Is A Jew", in which the Knesset revoked the status quo, and took out the word "kahalacha", leaving only the word Giyur, in the Law of Return, with the full participation of the NRP, then the Mizrachi party. (1970) This left the road wide open and gave a license to fictitious, non-halachic conversions worldwide and in Israel too, as is seen now.

At that time Dr. Avraham Berg, one of the heads of the Mizrachi party visited the Rebbe, and the Rebbe demanded from him that the religious party should not participate in this Chillul Hashem, and should leave the coalition. In response to the Rebbe's heartfelt pleas Dr. Berg answered the Rebbe, that he doesn't know what the Rebbe wants from him....he, Dr. Burg is also a descendant of the Alter Rebbe! Whereupon he sang for the Rebbe the entire Niggun Daled Bavos.

Clearly, then Dr. Burg was playing games. The Rebbe is asking him to extricate world Jewry from a destructive decree which will endanger millions of Jews, and he reminds the Rebbe that the Rebbe is not the only one with a claim to know what's good for Jewry....After all, he knows how to sing the Alter Rebbe's niggun!

Claiming to know "inside information" about Lubavitcher niggunim, or even, as timeout wrote, having been taught by someone related to the Rebbe,(which means what??) doesn't change anything about any of the teachings or minhagim of Chassidus, or halachos in Shulchan aruch or whatever it may be. Confused IOW what's the point Question

Last edited by TzenaRena on Tue, Jan 03 2006, 4:34 pm; edited 2 times in total

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 3:45 pm
I just think its sad that someone asks a question for the benefit of her children and she gets eyes rolled at her.

I understand now how the L. Rebbe says 11)that there is no such thing as a minor detail in Chinuch. A scratch on a tree wont do much harm, but a scratch on a seed can blemish it for life. 2)Mothers are so careful to ensure her child is 100% physically healthy, they need to do the same to ensure thir children are 100& spiritually healthy. No mother would compromise on physical health, so why would mothers compromise on spiritual health?

goldrose

Post Tue, Jan 03 2006, 4:18 pm
thanks. I was having a hard time being bashed.

Quote:
A scratch on a tree wont do much harm, but a scratch on a seed can blemish it for life.

this is in the same sicha I quoted above. Likutei Sichos Vol.1 Chanukah sicha)

timeout

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 3:37 pm
Are Uncle Moishe tapes sold in Tzivos Hashem? Just curious?

The eye rolling is not done twards the act of spiritually highering your childrens Madreiga, it is meant for the idea taht Uncle Moishe is harmful and all the ladies that are part of this forum that are not Lubavitch, icluding those that are Lubavitch and that "let" there children listen to "Uncle Moishe" should not feel they are pulling there children down to a lower Madreiga. Rather getting there interests piqued at a young age (my daughter being only 20 months) and loving Uncle Moishe and The Mitzvah Men Very Happy

Rivka

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 7:46 pm
Think about the children!!!
Why does everyone go back to Bob the Builder?
Anyway, don't put down Uncle Moshe tapes, if you want niggunim and such just go to your Judaica store and ask the person in the shop.
If you are Lubavitch you would do well to go to CH or Lubavitch owned book shop.
For all the other people that don't mind their kids listening to Uncle Bob Moshe the Builder, then good for you.
Anyway music is everywhere and half the time you do not realise it.
Sitting in the Dr's surgery you have the music and it's deffinately not Lubavitch niggunim, in shops you have the songs so unless your kids have cotton wool in their ears, then they will hear it.

hisorerus

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 7:52 pm
And if they walk in the street, they inhale second-hand smoke. So I should let people smoke in my house, right?

I think Uncle Moishy is great... but not for my baby.

goldrose

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 8:02 pm
hisorerus, just my point. there's garbage outside, and I'd like it to stay that way. outside.

timeout

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 2:27 pm
Goldrose I hope you didn't just call Uncle Moishe Garbage?

Because if you did you've definitely taken this to far!

Not even the Rebbe would have called Uncel Moishe Garbage, and I don't think you're on a higher Madreiga than the Rebbe was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

gryp

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 3:00 pm
LOL
this thread is funny and has only gotten funnier. its like broken telephone.
LOL

goldrose, I hope youre laughing like I am Very Happy.

goldrose

Post Sun, Jan 08 2006, 3:17 pm
timeout wrote:
Goldrose I hope you didn't just call Uncle Moishe Garbage?

Because if you did you've definitely taken this to far!

Not even the Rebbe would have called Uncel Moishe Garbage, and I don't think you're on a higher Madreiga than the Rebbe was!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Chas veshalom! Garbage has no connection to non-jewish souls! There is no equivalent between shalosh klipos tmeyos, and klipas noga. LOL And by the way, comparing is not equating. It is simply lining things up, side by side, to see what similarities there are. Perhaps there are none, after comparison.

(What is a way we can elevate garbage, anyone? I can't think of anything! Still, there's no real tumah in it)

On a more serious note, I wasn't equating garbage with UM. I was simply stating (a little off-topic) that there are things in the streets that I'm not interested in having in my house. Be it physical garbage or spiritual garbage. Uncle Moishy has great words, great messages, and some really nice tunes. But also has some tunes that I would rather leave out of my house. If someone else chooses to bring those tunes into their house, be my guest. I can't tell you to eat pas yisroel either. And just because someone will listen to non-jewish music, it doesnt mean he shouldnt keep kosher. So if you're not up to getting rid of uncle moishy, or choose not to look at the negative part of it, at least don't bash me for my attempts and decisions.

timeout

Post Mon, Jan 09 2006, 3:34 pm
Quote:
(What is a way we can elevate garbage, anyone? I can't think of anything! Still, there's no real tumah in it)

Rolling Eyes

gryp

Post Tue, Jan 10 2006, 8:14 pm
ad mosai Question !

timeout

Post Tue, Jan 10 2006, 8:29 pm
How about having a computer with internet access at home or using it in
the workplace?

I have a friend I used to work with (a middle aged woman) who on principle would never use the internet because of spiritual ramifications and her strong feelings against people having and using it.

goldrose

Post Tue, Jan 10 2006, 8:40 pm
timeout, that is off topic but nevertheless. like I said earlier in the thread, that I am not 'on a higher madrega' than anyone else. I do what I can, and strive to do better, without trying to infringe on other people's stages/abilities.

yes, I have yet to get rid of my trashy computer. but just because someone shaves his beard doesnt mean he shouldnt wear a kapote.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics