Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Overweight Children
Previous  1  2  3

goldrose

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 1:49 pm
Quote:
A breastfed baby can't overfeed themselves becuase the milk doesn't come out fast enough as doesfrom a bottle.

just wanted to comment that my milk came out SO fast, it would spray, and my daughters would choke because they couldn't handle it! And yes, they were nice and pudgy!

elisecohen

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 2:53 pm
Dan l'chaf zechus. It's not our place to be judgemental of others. Just as you may not know the whole story behind a child having a tantrum in the store, you may not know the whole story behind an individual child's weight issues. It's one thing to generalize that we need to get many of our children more active and less accustomed to junk food; it's another to judge and assume that a particular child is overweight because his or her parents are making child-rearing mistakes.

And I say this as the parent of one child who is slightly overweight (due to compulsive eating brought on by psychiatric medications) and one child who is underweight (due to an endocrine disorder); and a third who is chubby because he is exclusively on medical formula (no food), mostly tube-fed, and we're having a hard time titrating his growth, his nutritional needs, and his caloric intake.

Motek

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 2:58 pm
Quote:
it's another to judge and assume that a particular child is overweight because his or her parents are making child-rearing mistakes

of all the overweight children, elisecohen, do you think the vast majority are subject to poor eating habits or do you think that most have disorders and medical issues?

elisecohen

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 4:03 pm
Chances are the majority have life style problems, overeating and underexercising. I'm not denying that. I'm saying that you have to differentiate between the general population as a group (about which it may be fair to say life style and habit are the biggest problems) and any individual subject. To look at a particular child, whose home life you do not know intimately, and to judge that he is overweight because of parenting failures is to invoke din, judgement. Maybe he eats poorly, maybe his home life is unhappy, maybe he struggles with schoolwork so much there is no time for even the minimum of exercise, maybe he has an endocrine disorder, maybe he is lazy, maybe he is hiding from an abusive parent in a corner of his room at home, maybe he just likes to eat too much at dinner, maybe he's not as heavy as he seems, maybe he is overweight and his parents and he are struggling with trying to rectify the situation.....how do we know?

raizy

Post Thu, Jan 05 2006, 10:10 pm
your rock elisechocen. dont judge other till you walked in their shoes for one mile.

I was always fat. and my sister was always skinny. well my skinny sister was eating way more then me and not gaining . wheras I was eating less then her and putting it on... I still blame the genitic in this one...
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics