Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Treats at the park every afternoon

amother

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 12:56 pm
how often do you treat your chldren? what about food treats (ices etc)

I see mothers at the park buy their kids ices or potato chips every single day. one mother I see even buys her kids big ice creams nearly every day.

I dont want to give my kids so much junk food and worry that they wont eat their evening meal if they nosh so much at the park. and isnt the park for playing, not eating??

but I'm worried my kids feel deprived or just wish I'd give them as much as the other kids have.

what's the best for them? compared to the other mothers I feel like I'm always saying no. my parents were very strict with me and never gave me money for nosh when I was a little older, and I resented them for it, and now I am obsessed by all the nosh I couldnt have when I was little (although thankfully I have strong will power, so manage to control my urges, otherwise I think I'd be ill and overweight!)

I want my kids to be happy AND healthy. how???

Ruchel

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 1:21 pm
Every day? Yes, I see that often. Or nearly every day. I can't say I think it's good, unless it's like one candy a day (as opposed to a pack of candies), especially since kids at the park are so active, but ice cream and chips every day...

I also don't know what's the ideal frequency. I suppose it's a small treat a day, if the kid is able to take 1 without wanting the whole pack.

Raisin

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 3:41 pm
I struggle witht his, not that I take my kids to to the park every day, but I let them have a treat for dessert after supper. if I can I make smoothies - just fruit and milk or oj, no sugar, or open up canned fruit (usually in syrup alas), but often it is something junkie. (cookie, square of chocolate...whatever I have around)

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:00 pm
amother wrote:
my parents were very strict with me and never gave me money for nosh when I was a little older, and I resented them for it, and now I am obsessed by all the nosh I couldnt have when I was little

Yeridas hadoros. Some people even consider potato chips as "food". Ices, I don't see how. We didn't eat that stuff as kids either yet I see, as you say, people are eating it as part of their daily lives. Of course, you do hear of a lot of childhood obesity and a ton of other diseases and health problems, lo oleinu, that never used to be, and at such young ages.

You could ask your dr. If your kids are healthy and not overweight and don't get cavities easily, you might give in a little. On the other hand, I don't think it's a healthy way to live, always comparing yourselves to others.

greenfire

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:06 pm
I'm sure there's a balance that can be good for all of you ... including some healthy options like a trail mix ... is ice cream bad - it's got milk Mr. Green ... as for the teeth - if you teach them to brush 2 or 3 x a day you solve that issue ...

Ruchel

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:18 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
amother wrote:
my parents were very strict with me and never gave me money for nosh when I was a little older, and I resented them for it, and now I am obsessed by all the nosh I couldnt have when I was little

Yeridas hadoros. Some people even consider potato chips as "food". Ices, I don't see how. We didn't eat that stuff as kids either yet I see, as you say, people are eating it as part of their daily lives. Of course, you do hear of a lot of childhood obesity and a ton of other diseases and health problems, lo oleinu, that never used to be, and at such young ages.

You could ask your dr. If your kids are healthy and not overweight and don't get cavities easily, you might give in a little. On the other hand, I don't think it's a healthy way to live, always comparing yourselves to others.

I don't think. People are much more health conscious before. It's rare now to see a family cooking everything in butter (non jews obviously) like it used to be normal. You also rarely see such restaurants.

You didn't have ice creams, fries, chocolate... as a child? My mother did. My grandmother did!

mummy-bh

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:22 pm
Ruchel wrote:

You didn't have ice creams, fries, chocolate... as a child? My mother did. My grandmother did!
Well my kids live in the modern times, and certainly don't eat these things every day, or even every week! (possible exception made for chocolate Wink )

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:34 pm
Ruchel wrote:

Fries and chocolate, for sure not. We never fried anything (I still don't). Ice cream was regularly in the freezer though.

miriam

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:35 pm
We are trying to make fruit a treat. Clemetines are so sweet and yummy. The kids no they can have them anytime. Sometimes we go out special and let everyone buy a fruit.

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:43 pm
Every day? Are you there every day to know for sure?

yo'ma

Post Sat, Dec 20 2008, 4:57 pm
I never liked seeing a child on the swing and the babysitter/mother was feeding them. Yes, the park is for playing, not eating. After playing, they might get a little hungry. Bring food that you let them have. Maybe once a week or once in a blue moon get them something. I'm sure they'll appreciate it more then Wink . Whenever we go somewhere, not the park, someplace bigger, and I bring food, I usually take cut up fruits or vegetables. Even though, they won't necessarily eat it at home, they eat it there.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 12:04 pm
how often do you say no to your kids when they ask for treats? and do u give a reason, or is it just cuz mommy says?

amother

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 12:11 pm
amother wrote:
but I'm worried my kids feel deprived or just wish I'd give them as much as the other kids have.

We taught our kids about healthy diets during the week, yet we allowed all sorts of treats on Shabbos (and even more on YT) so they wouldn't feel deprived, and the ones that are already grown thank us for it.

Barbara

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 12:39 pm
amother wrote:
how often do you treat your chldren? what about food treats (ices etc)

I see mothers at the park buy their kids ices or potato chips every single day. one mother I see even buys her kids big ice creams nearly every day.

I dont want to give my kids so much junk food and worry that they wont eat their evening meal if they nosh so much at the park. and isnt the park for playing, not eating??

what's the best for them? compared to the other mothers I feel like I'm always saying no. my parents were very strict with me and never gave me money for nosh when I was a little older, and I resented them for it, and now I am obsessed by all the nosh I couldnt have when I was little (although thankfully I have strong will power, so manage to control my urges, otherwise I think I'd be ill and overweight!)

I want my kids to be happy AND healthy. how???

Good heavens! I have a hard time remembering what MY kid eats from one day to the next. You can remember what kids in the park eat from day to day? That's truly remarkable.

IMHO, you're still obsessed with junk food, given how closely you seem to be watching other people's kids and what they eat. Me, I'm flexible. There's usually a treat every day, but that may be at different times of the day. The treat could be a few pretzels, a cookie, a piece of chocolate, or a granola bar. Some days there might not be a treat. I suppose there are days that there are more than one. We keep it to a dull roar, eat lots of fruit and veggies, yogurt, fish, and whole grains. Balance is the key to me.

As to eating in the park ... why not? Kids are often there for long periods of time. When DS was younger, he could stay at the park for 4 or 5 hours, sometimes longer on Shabbat. We'd bring sandwiches AND snacks, bottles of water, juice boxes, whatever with us. Why not?

yo'ma

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 12:49 pm
amother wrote:
how often do you say no to your kids when they ask for treats? and do u give a reason, or is it just cuz mommy says?

I say no, depending on the situation. If I know that it's right before or after a mealtime, I'll usually say no and give a reason. It depends on my mood about saying cuz mommy said or the actual reason, even though, that's all they have to know. Sometimes giving them a reason, they start to question it.

nicole81

Post Sun, Dec 21 2008, 1:53 pm
this reminds me that 2 weeks ago, my daughter's school sent home a note to me. they told me that she's always hungry after lunch because the other kids all have "snack" and she doesn't.

at first I was confused, because the school provides a snack during the day (crackers and drinks.) then I realized the teacher was trying to tell me to send nosh in for my daughter in a nice way.

and here I thought I was already sending in dessert for my daughter with fruit cups or applesauce.

I do give my kids treats though. my elderly landlord gives them a small piece of chocolate a few times a week, and I give them pudding or jello with fruit about twice a week as well. but I don't think it's a good idea to make such a habit out of it that it's expected by the children.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics