Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Chit Chat
Nitel Nacht ideas

bubby

Post Wed, Dec 24 2008, 8:50 am
DH & I were talking last night & I asked him what he's going to do tonite instead of his learning (which he'll have to do somehow in work to get it in early enough). He looked at me like, I dunno. Any ideas? I'd love to play rummykub etc, but it's no fun with just 2. I suppose we could upload/download new software for my computer. Gee, there's a thrill Rolling Eyes

Any better ideas?

Dini

Post Wed, Dec 24 2008, 8:55 am
u can play dreidel LOL sorry, I know I'm not being too helpful

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Dec 24 2008, 8:57 am
We are going to put together a "video player" stand, and maybe watch a video from the history channel on basketweaving or electric linemen from alaska.(actually we watched the latter b'hasgachah pratis during the ice storm aftermath up here)

I'm playing with a new toy I got last night. (a digital camera---yes, I'm the last person in the Western Hemisphere to not have a digital camera and I call myself an engineer...)

rb

Post Wed, Dec 24 2008, 11:27 am
Not to start any halachic arguments, but my DH's Rav used to say to his Talmidim " I will take the aveira for anyone learning tonight! LOL

Tehilla

Post Wed, Dec 24 2008, 11:29 am
go to sleep.

Atali

Post Wed, Dec 24 2008, 11:30 am
You can read sipurei tzaddikim. It isn't considered learning but is useful in Avodas Hashem.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Dec 24 2008, 11:31 am
Make latkes, do laundry, go to sleep early! Very Happy

bubby

Post Wed, Dec 24 2008, 11:31 am
In Lubavitch they go to 770 & play chess (the Rebbe would do that) so it's a tradition esp. with the Bochurim. DH doesn't like chess, even I can whup him Rolling Eyes

Oh, why should I care, I have Michael Savage on the radio & some good, unread, library books! Now if I could eat chocolate too I'd be OK!!

Butterfly

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 1:08 am
bubby wrote:
DH & I were talking last night & I asked him what he's going to do tonite instead of his learning (which he'll have to do somehow in work to get it in early enough). He looked at me like, I dunno. Any ideas? I'd love to play rummykub etc, but it's no fun with just 2. I suppose we could upload/download new software for my computer. Gee, there's a thrill Rolling Eyes

Any better ideas?

Bubby, why can't you play rummykub with two? DH and myself play it occasionally.. when I feel a little off.., and I thought it was fun Very Happy
Oh my, and I thought he was having fun too embarrassed .. Oy nebach, my poor hubby.

OK so next time we'll play OLD MAID blee neder! Very Happy

justmom

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 2:04 am
In the spirit of trying to learn about different minhagim-- what are you all talking about? Who's Nitel and what night?

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 2:39 am
justmom wrote:
In the spirit of trying to learn about different minhagim-- what are you all talking about? Who's Nitel and what night?

In short, the (supposed) date that yoshke was born. Many people, mostly chassidim, dont learn that night.

Here is a long thread about it:
http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0

shalhevet

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 2:52 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
justmom wrote:

In short, the (supposed) date that yoshke was born. Many people, mostly chassidim, dont learn that night.

http://Imamother.com/forum/vie.....art=0

I NEVER heard of anyone non-chassidish not learning that night - unless, of course, you mean those who don't learn plenty (or all) other nights too...

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 3:26 am
shalhevet wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
justmom wrote:

I NEVER heard of anyone non-chassidish not learning that night - unless, of course, you mean those who don't learn plenty (or all) other nights too...

I heard about the Steipler, that when he was reminded that it was nittel night he would close his sefer.

What I really meant to say was, that its not a minhag that shtams from chassidim, just that the chassidim adopted this minhag.

shalhevet

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 3:30 am
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
justmom wrote:

I heard about the Steipler, that when he was reminded that it was nittel night he would close his sefer.

What I really meant to say was, that its not a minhag that shtams from chassidim, just that the chassidim adopted this minhag.

Do you have a non-chassidish source for this?

I am not mekabelet the LH about the Steipler. It sounds very weird anyway - if he would have held not to learn, he would have made sure to know beforehand which night. Unless maybe he did it once not to cause a machlokes in some place, and that's why he closed his sefer when someone mentioned it. Still doesn't 'fit' for me. Do yo have a source for this story?

(BTW, I am genuinely interested/ puzzled - this is not meant to be an attack. I like you so much Mrs XYZ, and even if I didn't , your cute avatar won me over ages ago...)

Mrs. XYZ

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 4:03 am
shalhevet wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
shalhevet wrote:
Mrs. XYZ wrote:
justmom wrote:

Do you have a non-chassidish source for this?

I am not mekabelet the LH about the Steipler. It sounds very weird anyway - if he would have held not to learn, he would have made sure to know beforehand which night. Unless maybe he did it once not to cause a machlokes in some place, and that's why he closed his sefer when someone mentioned it. Still doesn't 'fit' for me. Do yo have a source for this story?

(BTW, I am genuinely interested/ puzzled - this is not meant to be an attack. I like you so much Mrs XYZ, and even if I didn't , your cute avatar won me over ages ago...)

OK, he did not officially keep this minhag, but he would do it in order not to be mezalzel a yiddishe minhag.

The source is sefer Nitei Gavriel who brings it from sefer Orchos Rabeinu (a talmid of the Steipler):
וכ"כ בספר אורחות רבינו עמוד קצ"ג שהגאון מסטייפלער אמר שאינו רוצה ללמוד מתוך הכתב בגלל חילול השם, שהיות שהחסידים אינם לומדים ומסתכלים על מי שלומד כעובר עבירה, לכן למד רק בעל פה

shalhevet

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 7:26 am
Ah, now it makes sense. It sounds like he was in a place where everyone (or most everyone) else was chassidish, and he was learning and someone told him it was nittel nacht. So he felt it would be a chilul Hashem to be learning against their minhag, so he closed his sefer, but continued learning by heart (ie he did continue learning, just without a sefer).

Butterfly

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 8:08 am
My Father ZT"L was a very prominant Rav in Europe, still before the war, and afterwards in the U.S.A.
I remember every Nitel Nacht he wouldn't learn. I don't remember what he did that night, but he definitely did not learn. I do remember my big brothers (big matmidim, and Rabbanim today) playing chess or checkers. I definitely remember "Nitel Nacht" being practiced every year religiously from since I was a young child.. over 40 years ago.. (feel like an OLD MAID here Yes .)

People would come to my Father ZT"L with all sorts of Shallos-questions related to jewish law- very often. Our house and Bais Hamedrash was loaded with Sfurim-Holy scriptures, B"H- Those were our most precious furniture and decors. I don't remember my Father ZT"L sleeping during the nights, ever. Whenever I woke up in the middle of the night, or early dawn he was always learning B"H. He would mostly nap on a chair here and there..
I guess I am trying to prove a fact here, and instead I am giving a Hesped/Eulogy here.... My goodness shock ??
Sorry, I guess I needed that vent too. ( still miss him, and forever will..)

The point is that my DH. and "everyone" in our community keep this Minhag religiously. My Husband (A Big Tamid Chuchem himself..B"H) told me that this Minhag has been practiced throughout the world, since hundreds of generations ago, not only by the Chassidish, but by many Litvish, Yeshivish etc. etc., as well. And it is NOT all Chassidim who practice/practiced this minhag, as well as it is not all Litvish Yeshivish etc. etc. who don't/didn't practice it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics