Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Need some tips on how to put on nailpolish
1  2  Next

octopus

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 10:05 pm
if you are doing it yourself (versus getting them done) what are some helpful hints that you know that you can share?

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 10:22 pm
do a few quick strokes ... better to do a second coat than put it on too thick ... use a clear undercoat/topcoat for preservation of polish and to keep your nails not discolored by the polish ... after it dries - clean up any misses carefully by using cotton swab dipped in nail polish remover with something like a nail filer that could get around the detail w/o getting the cotton ball all over the fresh nails ...

sleepyhead

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 10:26 pm
Don't know if you are into doing your cuticles, but I find that trimming them makes the job look much more professional. Make sure you get a good cuticle cutter - at any drugstore. If you've never watched a manicurist do it, though, you may want to skip this. Otherwise, do the following:

File nails. Soak nails in warm salt water. Your cuticles will be soft and easy to cut. Trim all around. Then follow green's advice above.

bubby

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 11:33 pm
My tried & tested advice...pay the $8 + tip & have a weekly appt with the manicurist. And don't forget a pedicure...lovely soft feet!

greenfire

Post Thu, Dec 25 2008, 11:35 pm
why pay someone when you can do it yourself ... spend the money on funky colours ... Colors

ss321

Post Fri, Dec 26 2008, 12:49 am
cut your cuticles, put on two coats, wait like 2-3 min btwn those coats. and if you want it to last, do what they do at the manicure places-dont skimp on a base and top coat. do those both also.
after 20 or so min when your nails are really dry, put some lotion on your hands and theyll look so healthy.

Maya

Post Fri, Dec 26 2008, 2:12 am
Sally Hansen has some excellent quick-drying top coats. I have two of them; one is an oil which also conditions the cuticles, and one is an anti-chip topcoat. My polish always got smudged before I started using them.

Make sure you have a moisturizing nail polish remover. Most dry your cuticles so badly that your manicure looks horrible.

beth

Post Fri, Dec 26 2008, 6:26 am
I like essie polish.mademoiselle is a great color!

Raisin

Post Fri, Dec 26 2008, 7:06 am
bubby wrote:
My tried & tested advice...pay the $8 + tip & have a weekly appt with the manicurist. And don't forget a pedicure...lovely soft feet!

and leave the babies home alone? once you pay for a babysitter it can be a lot more than $8.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 26 2008, 10:57 am
pop in to have them done when your huband is home. you anywayh want to do your nails when your kids aren't around.

zaq

Post Fri, Dec 26 2008, 11:16 am
chocolate moose wrote:
pop in to have them done when your huband is home.

how many dh come home from work before the beauty salons close? It's not like you can go there 10 minutes b4 closing time.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Dec 26 2008, 11:51 am
Zaq, where I go is opened until 10 PM, 7 nights a week. Find one that is.

greenfire

Post Fri, Dec 26 2008, 12:04 pm
I thought it was obvious to cut/file/groom your nails before polishing ... Scratching Head

I can't imagine polish on cracked / hanging nails Cheese

octopus

Post Fri, Dec 26 2008, 1:40 pm
Dh once commented on our wedding video that my nails look so nice (I know, funny thing to notice Scratching Head Scratching Head ) but when he took a whiff of the manicurist place while walking by, he thought the smells in there were hazardous to one's health. So I thought I could do it myself. But nailpolish smells pretty bad, and dh wasn't too thrilled about the smell, either. I want nice nails!!!!

Maya

Post Fri, Dec 26 2008, 1:54 pm
Do it when he's not home.

I don't think it's unhealthy. It's not like your sniffing it straight from the bottle, or using it on a daily basis.

I remember my husband didn't want me to do it around my baby, so I didn't, just to please him. I don't think there's anything dangerou with it.

Pickle Lady

Post Fri, Dec 26 2008, 2:54 pm
I used to paint my nails weekly in high school. So I had tons of practice. I can even paint my nails while in a moving car. Also you need to know your nail polishes. I like to paint my nails at night before bed. I have trained myself to not roll over my nails. The revlon no chip top coat I have used to keep the mail polish on longer. Anther thing I sometimes do is that when you get nail polish on the finger, its hard to get off when your other nails are wet (I have learned the skill over the years but its hard to do). I let the paint dry on my skin and the next morning I take a shower and when in the shower I scrape off the nail polish that got on my finger. The wet skin makes it easy to get off. So there are some of my tricks. I never waste my money on a manicure. I actually think I do a much better job. On my way to my cousins wedding I painted my nails ( it was a 5 hour trip in the car and I used a quick drying polish), when I got there everyone ask me when I had time to get my nails done and they were surprised to know that I did it in the car.

Stepmum

Post Sat, Dec 27 2008, 1:06 pm
I dunno what colours you like, but Bourjois has a line called '1 second', which uses a fan brush, that spreads out over the entire nail, to give a smooth coating. I've used this - I really like their dark red one (no names on this line) - and get a clean finish every time.

Fabulous

Post Sat, Dec 27 2008, 6:35 pm
Stepmum wrote:
I dunno what colours you like, but Bourjois has a line called '1 second', which uses a fan brush, that spreads out over the entire nail, to give a smooth coating. I've used this - I really like their dark red one (no names on this line) - and get a clean finish every time.

Where do you get this? By a drugstore?

Stepmum

Post Sat, Dec 27 2008, 7:41 pm
Probably. All drugstores in the UK sell them, and I'm sure any drug store or makeup store in the States would do the same. Do you guys have Sephora? I'm pretty sure they make it.

I tried doing a search for 'Buy Bourjois 1 second nail polish', but because my browser's set to the UK, it's only giving me English sites. Let me know if you can find it in the US.

Raisin

Post Sat, Dec 27 2008, 8:05 pm
Stepmum wrote:

thanks, I might try that. I am sooooo stupid at these things. I can't draw a straight line, though ironically I got an a in gcse art.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics