Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
How do you get your kids to bed?

e1234

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 12:08 pm
How do you get your kids to bed?
How much time do you spend putting them to bed?
Do they stay in bed.
I get exhausted just putting my kids to bed so I'm long for ideas to make it easier (or for them to stay!!)

shayna82

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 12:13 pm
at around 7:15, I tell them they have five more minutes to play. my boys are 5 and 3 1/2 , so they know when its close to bedtime. I tell them to eat and drink before they go up. once upstairs, I dont let them come down. they like to drag it out, so I put my foot down about that. my husband brushes their teeth, they get into pj's themselves. if its a night that we are both home, we both usually get them in bed, say shema, kiss and thats pretty much that. my husband will tell them a story sometimes. once in bed, they pretty much stay there. sometimes I let them sit on the floor by their door and read. it dosnt have to be a nutsy time, the trick is routine, so the kids know what to expect, and what order things go in. makes it much easier

drumjj

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 12:13 pm
I tell them its bed time sometimes they have a bath before most nights then we go into bed read a story say shema and go to sleep and sometimes I stay with them for a few mins and then leave. whole thing takes 15-20 mins maybe

sunshine!

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 12:34 pm
I usually bathe the kids and tackle one kid from beginning to end at a time, younger first. At 6:15 I bathe, pajama, and read to her. We say Shema, I tuck her in and put on a music tape of soft music. She is usually asleep in 10 minutes. Then I tackle the next one - he is 5. He goes in with a few books and is usually sleeping in about 15 minutes or so.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 12:46 pm
The younger ones, put on their pj's or they do it themselves, brush their teeth, shema (the older one says it by himself), kiss the mezuzah, depends what time it is, read a story, give them a kiss and a hug and tell them for the next hour to go to sleep and stop talking Exploding anger . The bigger ones, I say, go to bed about 100 times Exploding anger , then give them a kiss and hug good night.

shopaholic

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 12:49 pm
It used to be easier. Now, DH puts 2 to bed at 7. my 4 year old needs to say shema & then have DH sit with him while he sings the 12 pesukim. My 5 year old needs shema & then a story & at 7:45 my 8 year old puts himself to sleep. Then, each have a turn to come out "I can't fall asleep, I need a book, I'm hungry".

Tamiri

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 12:54 pm
My 4 yo has really given us a run for our money when it comes to bedtime. 2 weeks ago I told him I am not putting him to sleep anymore. It's up to him to say he's tired, get into bed, and call me to come kiss him and read a story (I get him washed and in pjs at around 6). So far, it's been working like a charm. He knows he's tired, gets in nicely and then calls me for the rest. I transferred responsibility. I am like a new person.

bebe3

Post Wed, Nov 12 2008, 12:58 pm
After dinner at around 6 I start cleaning up, have my 6 year old start homeowrk then take my 18 month upstairs for a bath and then bed. I tell my 3 and 4 year old that they are next so finish up playing. I finish at around 6:30-6:45. Then I grab the 3 and 4 year old they shower and then are in bed by 7-7:15. I then take my 6 year old who showers and then we read a book (for school) and she is in bed by 7:30-7:45. I also switch it up a bit if one of my kids is very kvetchy, like my 3 year old who can't nap because of school. I will put her to bed earlier with my 18 month old. then I put the 4 and 6 year old to bed together and then they can have 15 min. lights on time.

amother

Post Sun, Dec 28 2008, 9:56 am
[quote="shopaholic"]It used to be easier. Now, DH puts 2 to bed at 7. my 4 year old needs to say shema & then have DH sit with him while he sings the 12 pesukim. My 5 year old needs shema & then a story & at 7:45 my 8 year old puts himself to sleep. Then, each have a turn to come out "I can't fall asleep, I need a book, I'm hungry".[/quote]

what's the 12 pesukim?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics