Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Ds tells the Rebbe he’s bringing a kugel for Siyum tomorro
Previous  1  2

GAMZu

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 8:31 am
I would've bought challos... What

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 8:34 am
Isramom8 wrote:
I used to buy cans of olives well in advance of Tu B'Shvat and tell my kids to offer to bring that in, before a teacher woulld request guavas or persimmons. My kids thought it was weeeeird!

I loooove your way of thinking! Mrs. Machiavelli would've been proud.

justmom

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 8:36 am
Barbara, your post made me laugh out loud! My son came home from Bnei Akiva and proudly handed me a petek telling me to make rice for a Shabbos lunch they were eating together. He reported that he had been assigned soda, but since he knew I was making rice for DD's Shabbos lunch gathering he figured it would be easier for me so he traded for the rice. How could I be upset-- it was so thoughtful-- aarggh!

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 8:40 am
doesn't anyone teach anymore that you never volunteer someone else's services? Ayn orayach machneess orayach? Apparently not. Is it any surprise, then, that we have young dhs coming home and announcing to dw "We're having some of the bochrim for shabbes meal tomorrow"!

My mother taught me from childhood: if you volunteer, you volunteer on YOUR cheshbn, not on mine.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 9:57 am
zaq wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
I used to buy cans of olives well in advance of Tu B'Shvat and tell my kids to offer to bring that in, before a teacher woulld request guavas or persimmons. My kids thought it was weeeeird!

I loooove your way of thinking! Mrs. Machiavelli would've been proud.

Mrs. Who?

Yeah, I'm the nutty practical mom who sleeps little kids in the clothes they will wear the next day. Whoever is old enough to dress quickly in the morning without assistance gets to graduate to pajamas. Baths twice a week only till you are old enough to wash up on your own. (But I'm always after them with baby wipes for hands and faces, and for feet and the hoo-ha and boolbool areas before going to sleep. Speaking of which, I have a Bakers Dozen to finish reading my kids right now. It's 8 p.m. Do you knoiw where your children are? Um yes, jumping on the couch right behind me.)

zaq

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 12:02 pm
Isramom8 wrote:
Mrs. Who?

Machiavelli, the medieval Italian guy who wrote The Prince, his formula for seizing political control and manipulating people. Not to be confused with Prince Matchabelli, a European pseudo-aristocrat or former aristocrat who made his fortune peddling perfume. I haven't seen that brand around in ages, but maybe it still exists.

Isramom8 wrote:
Yeah, I'm the nutty practical mom who sleeps little kids in the clothes they will wear the next day.

LOL, I only did that when we had to catch an early-morning plane and had to leave home before daybreak. I did not, however, put them to bed in their shoes. Those we put on them as they slept, just before picking the kids up and standing them on their feet.

Isramom8

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 2:37 pm
zaq
[quote="Isramom8 wrote:
Yeah, I'm the nutty practical mom who sleeps little kids in the clothes they will wear the next day.

LOL, I only did that when we had to catch an early-morning plane and had to leave home before daybreak. I did not, however, put them to bed in their shoes. Those we put on them as they slept, just before picking the kids up and standing them on their feet.[/quote]

I dress sleeping kids in shoes on a regular basis. But I let them stand up only once awake! Wink

amother

Post Wed, Dec 31 2008, 2:54 pm
In our school no home made foods are allowed seeing as not everyone is frum.
dd has one teacher that always tells them to bring a snack the day before. Now the kids finish school at 4 get home around 4:30 and shops close at 5:30.
If I don't have anything at home I'm supposed to race out because of that teacher?

no! I've told my kids that on principle I will NOT provide snacks requested the day before
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics