Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Child's room on separate floor in the house

amother

Post Sat, Jan 03 2009, 6:12 pm
If you have little kids and want to move one to the attic (nice, finished attic) because of lack of room, at what age do you think is OK for a young child to be one floor up on his own?

Raisin

Post Sat, Jan 03 2009, 6:16 pm
we also have a nice fininshed attic. We are hesitant to use it for young kids because chv in case of fire there is no fire escape. Right now it is our guest room, maybe when our kids are older it will be used for kids.

as far as other concerns...probably 5/6...whenever they stop waking up at night, or are old enough to come down on their own.

Emee

Post Sat, Jan 03 2009, 7:58 pm
We had all our kids on one florr and we were on another until a few weeks ago. They were 8, 4 and 18 months. In our case they were on the main floor and we were in the basement but it was fine. It also depends on the size of your house. If it is a small house sometimes being a floor apart woudl be no different then being ont he same floor in a large house.

avigailmiriam

Post Sat, Jan 03 2009, 8:05 pm
My older sisters and I started sharing the attic when we were 12, 9 and 8.

Marion

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 1:18 am
Here it seems to be fairly common to see "duplexes" (2 floor apartments) where the master bedroom is on a different floor from the rest of the bedrooms.

Stayci

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 1:22 am
If you install an intercom system, it shouldn't be a problem once the kids sleep through the night.

Isramom8

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 1:27 am
At an age where the child will have the presence of mind to come get you without getting hysterical if s/he has a problem in the middle of the night, and can take care of his or her own going to the bathroom, getting a drink, etc.

Five? Seven? Four?

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 1:55 am
I started to sleep in the attic when I was 10 and it was just fine.

mamacita

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 3:42 am
We have little choice but to have my toddlers on a different floor. I need to get a baby monitor though since my room is right next to the boiler and the racket from that thing makes it hard to hear if they wake up in the night.

dh thinks it's better not to hear them so they'll go back to sleep on their own, but I"m an ima, I need to be there for them!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics