Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Anyone (wanna) take dance at the Bklyn Jewish Dance Theater?

baschabad

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 10:09 am
They offer a whole variety of dance forms including ballet, jazz, modern, hip hop, tap and they're supposedly introducing a flamenco class soon.

But for now, I'm the only one in the adult beginners ballet class! Anyone else interested? It's kind of disconcerting to dance alone, even though 20 dollars for an hour and a half private lesson isn't bad at all!

AGINY

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 10:16 am
That sounds like great fun. Where are they located? When are the lessons held?

Lefty

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 11:41 am
AGINY wrote:
That sounds like great fun. Where are they located? When are the lessons held?

Are you doing this for the passion of dancing? or for the excersise?
I would do it for the working out part! AND its fun of course
I love arts too but wouldnt take lessons cuz it doesn't involve much movement! Smile

AGINY

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 12:50 pm
For me it would be a workout/social outing not involving kids. I love dancing but am not very good at it. This sounds right up my alley!

MinnieMa

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 2:42 pm
WHere is it located?

baschabad

Post Sun, Nov 23 2008, 6:57 pm
It's at 1185 E. 34th St. between J and K.

Adult ballet is at 8-9:30 Tues. night and 10-11:30 Wedn. morning.

Hip Hop is at 5:30-6:45 Sun. evening.

Adult Beg. Tap is at 8-9:30 Mon. night

Flamenco is at 8-9 Wedn. night and Jazz is right after that at 9-10.

Classes are $20 (at least the ballet was) and their number is 718-513-6257.

STovah

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 11:14 am
Just out of curiousity - who runs it? I live right near there...

baschabad

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 11:32 am
I'm not even sure who runs it! I only took one class anyway, so I don't feel that bad that I didn't ask her name. Tongue Out

imokay

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 6:08 pm
can u post more info? like the name of the place? one woman does all the classes? is she some professional dancer? how did u hear about it? I live nearby but this is the first time I hear of anything like that. is sounds like fun! do u need to really know what you're doing or can u just dance for fun?
thanks!

baschabad

Post Mon, Nov 24 2008, 7:09 pm
Okay, the studio is in someone's basement. It has a proper dance floor, a barre and mirrors. They have a few different teachers, I imagine they're all frum, (the woman who taught ballet is at least.) They are all trained dancers, I think she mentioned "professional" about one of them even.
They call it the Brooklyn Jewish Dance Theater/Institute, and I picked up a flyer about it in 770 in Crown Heights. They offer classes for all ages, the younger classes are divided into two levels, one more advanced. The adult class is a beginners class, so you really don't need to know anything! When I asked about the dress code, she asked me to wear a tight fitted top and either pants or a skirt (whichever you're comfortable with) but she should be able to see your knees. She didn't ask for ballet shoes, (I had them anyway) but I saw a girl in the class before me just wearing socks.

(Side note- I'm very pregnant so I wasn't able to wear a tight top (I don't have one) but it was fine anyway!)

baschabad

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 6:33 pm
Here's their website! It just went up.

http://bklynjewishdance.webs.c.....next=

Tehilla

Post Thu, Nov 27 2008, 6:35 pm
I used to take ballet...loved it.

baschabad

Post Fri, Nov 28 2008, 12:26 pm
If you would have asked me what I wanted to be when I was a little girl, I would have instantly answered, "A ballerina!" I never actually took ballet with a school when I was younger, but I did a lot of self-teaching, and an older friend of mine taught me and some peers for a classes.

Before I got married I took advantage of managing my own income and took a few beginner adult classes at a ballet school. Ballet has always been one of my passions and I'm thrilled to have the chance to dance again!

faigie

Post Fri, Nov 28 2008, 12:48 pm
where do u get ballet shoes?
I may just wanna try this.

baschabad

Post Fri, Nov 28 2008, 3:20 pm
Like I said, you don't have to have ballet shoes to take the class, but if you really want to purchase a pair there are plenty of places online. Within standard ballet shoes you can choose between leather and canvas, full sole or split sole etc. Maybe it's a good idea to find a dancewear store near you... good luck!

baschabad

Post Tue, Dec 02 2008, 12:33 am
So... will I see anyone tomorrow evening? Tongue Out

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 04 2009, 6:21 pm
I did a yoga class and tai chi. it's less money and in ch, if anyone's interested.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries