Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars
OVENS - what features?

ABC

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 1:04 am
What features would you look for in an oven?

Last edited by ABC on Tue, Nov 10 2009, 2:17 am; edited 1 time in total

drumjj

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 1:41 am
a timer that goes off and doesnt continously beep all day long

ABC

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 2:47 am

Last edited by ABC on Tue, Nov 10 2009, 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Koshermomma

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 6:59 am
Most ovens shut off automatically after 12 hours. It's a safetly feature put in by the manufacturers. My oven has a Shabbos setting, which means it doesn't turn off at all. You can leave it on for as long as you like, even for a three day Yom Tov. You set the oven to the temperature you want, put on the Shabbos setting, and then not only doesn't the oven turn off, but opening the door has no effect on the operation of the oven. It's great!!!

sky

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 7:28 am
ditto to what koshermomma and drumjj said.

My oven has the 12 hour override, but the timer beeps until you turn it off so I can't use that on shabbos.

The older gas ovens have a dial that you can turn on yom tov to adjust the temp. I don't think any new ovens have that. Some have touch pads that are cumbersome to use, the star-k allows them, but many rabbis do not so you would want to ask your own LOR before buying.

Make sure that when you open the door it doesn't cause fans to turn on if the oven is on. Typically ovens that have lots of features are hard to use on shabbos.

Check out the star-k's web site. They have a lot of information about buying stoves.

ABC

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 12:22 pm

Last edited by ABC on Tue, Nov 10 2009, 2:16 am; edited 1 time in total

Koshermomma

Post Wed, Jan 07 2009, 9:19 pm
I have a Kenmore (Sears own brand) but my sil has a GE Profile, and my mil has a Kitchenaid. If you ask at the store, they know which ones have the Shabbos setting - they may not understand what it does, but they'll know if it is a feature of the stove.

ss321

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 3:54 am
depends how much you are willing to spend
the three features you mentioned are really important. When I was looking for ovens, shabbos mode/having a timer (NOT just for shabbos-but for like popping something in the oven and going out, not having to worry about coming home to take it out), was the most important feature to me
Also, from an asthetic standpoint: If you have a stove/oven (which I have), is it the type of stovetop that is "sealed" underneath the grates-meaning you dont have to open it up to clean it-because the food cant get beneath the grates? and are the grates removable-can you clean them in the sink? does it have white/offwhite/grey grates if you are getting a stainless or white colored oven instead of black? how easy is it to clean?
I would recommend maytag or GE profile. I think maytag is a bit less expensive than GE but both are really great. I can try to look up model numbers, I am sure I kept a folder with all the ovens we considered, just need to find it.
Also, get an oven with a convection feature. I like it for baking.

chavamom

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 7:51 am
I have the Kitchenaid with "sabbath mode". It's an amazing feature.

ABC

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 9:29 am

Last edited by ABC on Tue, Nov 10 2009, 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total

DefyGravity

Post Thu, Jan 08 2009, 9:50 am
I have a Hotpoint. It was the cheapest oven the store had that had all the features we wanted:
Gas
Shabbos Mode
Self-clean

We also had a kill switch installed which turns off the igniter on the gas, so on Yom Tov, if you need a burner, you can turn on the gas and then light it from an existing flame.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Shopping -> Household Products, Kitchen Appliances, Furniture & Cars