Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Any handywomen out there ever use a snake?

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 10:56 am
I have a clogged sink and I dont feel like paying the plumber for 3 minutes of work with the snake...

I saw a DIY video online that makes it look pretty simple. Has anyone ever attempted it? How messy/hard is it?

Thanks Smile

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 11:22 am
very messy ... but basically you work on getting the snake in the appropriate opening ... usually you have to open the U trap under the sink and snake into the wall pipe - have a bucket handy to collect the water ... gunk will come out as you rewind the snake and it will be dirty black schmutz - I would suggest wearing disposeable gloves if you're afraid of getting dirty ... run the snake down again to be sure you got everything ... put the puzzle back together ... use a little plumber's tape on the threads before you replace parts ... and voila ...

tip is that you might have to use some force in getting the snake to run into the pipes' turns ...

MommyLuv

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 11:25 am
hey thanks green!! Really appreciate it. How long is your snake? What length should I get? I have to go buy one to try this.

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 12:04 pm
I didn't think it has to get everything so messy. I snakedout my bathroom sinka couple mos ago. in fact, you can buy a plastic tool, like a snake, which is somewhat easier to use for typical hair based clogs in a sink.

the gunk is gross. Have a trash can nearby, and pour draino down afterwards.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 12:52 pm
draino kills the pipes as any chemical would ... so not advisable ... run boiling water ...

as for how long would be dependent on where the clog is ... those 18" plug hair catchers might be good enough ... but if it's in the pipes I believe the hand held small snakes are about 25' great for bathtubs as well as sinks ...

good luck !!!

Meema2Kids

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 3:52 pm
If you think the clog is not down very far, get a shorter snake. I bought a really long one thinking we could use it in case the service lateral got clogged, but it was very hard to manage for the short drain in the shower. My husband had to to unclog that one.

However, you are right - no reason to call a plumber for this simple job.

JC

Post Fri, Jan 09 2009, 4:00 pm
I snake all the time! One great hint I got from a plumber was to to use a shmatta when pulling the snake back up. Grip the shmatta around the snake right by the entrance to the drain, so it catches any of the shmootz that comes up and then it doesnt splatter.

If your doing the bath tub (which is the one I have to do all the time) use the overflow drain not the drain at the bottom of the tub.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics