Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby bottle

proudmom

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 3:55 pm
I want to start my baby on a bottle. What is the best nipple to start with?

Tefila

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 4:10 pm
How old is baby?

proudmom

Post Wed, Dec 15 2004, 4:14 pm
7 months old. the reason why I want to start her on a bottle is because she still eats every hour. It is really hard on me to feed her every hour. so I was thinking of giving her a bottle. Food she refuses to eat. she just spits it out.

Tovah

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 12:17 pm
playtex nurser has 2 a slow flow for nursers and a faster one for 6 months and older.

Tefila

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 12:39 pm
You can also get an ortho one..... supposed to be better for babys jaw.

Yael

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 3:14 pm
if she still nurses every hour its not b/c she's hungry its more for comfort and b/c she's gotten into a bad habit. what you need to do is space her time between feedings. and gradually increase the time between feedings. no matter what wait that amount of time. take her out for a walk in the stroller if she's screaming to distract her. its important to do this. she likely wont take the bottle if she's gotten used to nursing for comfort. she'd only take the bottle if she's hungry. set a timer and nurse her on a schedule. that way she gets more milk in each session and will be satisfied for longer. it must be very hard on you to nurse so often. thats why you must space her feedings.

if you want to replace a feeding with formula try the avent baby bottle, its expensive but they say its the closest to the breast. I also used the gerber wide nipple one, it worked fine for levi.

imanut

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 4:36 pm
yael, if she is 7 months old and not eating solids I would think she's nursing more from hunger than for comfort.
I think it's important to keep offering solids, but not when she's really hungry, and eventually she'll see that it fills her up and she'll enjoy it. this worked for me.
also, make sure the food is something she'll like. maybe mix breast milk with it so it tastes familiar, or add grape/apple juice to make it sweeter.

zuncompany

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 4:46 pm
she has prob. hit a growth spirt. What they do is first nurse like crazy. This builds up your supply. Than they sleep like crazy (this is when they actually grow). Cause they built your supply up they are getting more at each feeding.

I am assuming your not nursing her whenever she kvetches and she shows signs she is hugry like rooting.

sara

proudmom

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 5:01 pm
I nurse her every hour no matter what. if she has a growth spurt or when she doesnt. the only time I dont feed her every hour is when she either takes a nap or when she is sleeping at night. She has been like this always. she feeds every hour. teh longest she can go with out eating is an hour and a half

zuncompany

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 5:43 pm
You need to break her of this bad habit. She doesn't need it. Yael is right in this case... she is comfort nursing. Does she take a pacifier? Maybe you might want to get her on one to take some of the stress off you.

Sara

proudmom

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 5:52 pm
I have tried to give her a pacifier but she has no idea what to do with it. she takes it and rubs it against her bottom teeth and starts laughing because it is making a squeeky sound.

zuncompany

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 5:54 pm
good! its distracting her. my ped recommends lengthening time slowly... try for every hour 15, than hour and a half, etc... has she doubled her birth weight? When Zu did this the quality of my milk was low because he didn't allow for the good rich stuff to fill up in me again. As a result he was always hungry.

sara

proudmom

Post Thu, Dec 16 2004, 6:01 pm
she trippled her birth weight

ForeverYoung

Post Sun, Dec 26 2004, 8:38 pm
I like gerber nipples

but try to break this habbit 1st
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics