Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children
Gifted kids- parents please respond
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 12:38 pm
I am gifted, and have a highly gifted child.

DS simply had different interests than other kids his age, and was extremely intellectual. In addition, he didn't read social cues well. More than once he was considered chutzpadik when he really just had a profound need to know the reasons why. I remember him telling me when he was in middle school that wanted to be dumb so he could fit in better. Around when he went to yeshiva in another city, he learned to pick up on social cues, and now has many friends.

DS's school did make an effort to accommodate him (special assignments, once a week pullout, etc.), but we never considered skipping him, because socially it wouldn't have worked.

There was no frum gifted school in our city... is there one anywhere? In egalitarian America, giftedness carries a stigma, which is why I am posting anonymously.

avigailmiriam

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 9:23 pm
amother wrote:
I am gifted, and have a highly gifted child.

DS simply had different interests than other kids his age, and was extremely intellectual. In addition, he didn't read social cues well. More than once he was considered chutzpadik when he really just had a profound need to know the reasons why. I remember him telling me when he was in middle school that wanted to be dumb so he could fit in better. Around when he went to yeshiva in another city, he learned to pick up on social cues, and now has many friends.

DS's school did make an effort to accommodate him (special assignments, once a week pullout, etc.), but we never considered skipping him, because socially it wouldn't have worked.

There was no frum gifted school in our city... is there one anywhere? In egalitarian America, giftedness carries a stigma, which is why I am posting anonymously.

Amother, if you ever want to talk about gifted education issues, PM me. I went through this whole mess as a highly gifted child.

octopus

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 10:06 pm
hmmmmm.....from reading this thread and all the reading abilities- I too should be labeled gifted. I was most definitely reading college level books in fifth and sixth grade. And I definitely got the nuances in books and why lydia bennet was bad for running off with wickham. I read lord of the rings- the whole trilogy in sixth grade-before it was popular and made into a movie- and that was not easy reading. And I read most of the classics by the time I hit seventh or eighth grade. I can discuss most college literature with ppl but never was forced to read the books- I had read them all already.

But my math abilities stink.

So I guess I'm not gifted. *sniff*

mimivan

Post Thu, Jan 22 2009, 10:50 pm
ds was misdiagnosed as PDD but it appears he is just very bright ba'h..likes to do things alone and is a late talker.

I recommend Thomas Sowell's books Late Talking Children and The Einstein Syndrome for those who are having similar issues.

We are currently working on mainstreaming him into a regular school... iy'h it will work out. The special school he was in (incidentally, I think he DID need this special school for a while..since he did have issues of communicating and being sociable and behavior which the therapy there helped him with) are very unhappy with us for mainstreaming him...(I think they are sticking to their theory, even though he was confirmed as not being PDD by a psychologist) but we are trying to work together.

He is going 3 days a week to a regular cita aleph (even though he can read beyond cita beit level.ba'h..I am hoping he won't get too bored..which is an issue for bright kids) and 3 days a week to the special school. We would like iy'h to send him to the regular school all week, but feel the transition should be gradual.
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics