Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Turtlenecks

pomegranate

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 9:38 am
do you think they are as dressy as buttoned or zippered sweaters/cardigans? why or why not?

louche

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 10:14 am
depends on the thickness, texture, fiber and what they're worn with. Many will argue with me, but I consider cardigans of any type to be very UNdressy, even in cashmere, and even more UNdressy with a zipper. Heavy and heavily textured knits are sportier than thin yarns and smooth knits. Cashmere and angora, silk or silky synthetics are dressier than wool, cotton or ramie. V-necks of any type are sporty IMO. jewel-necks and turtlenecks can be dressy if they're paired with dressy accessories and skirts or suits.

Lady Godiva

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 1:29 pm
Yes, to louche.
Material matters.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 2:57 pm
I don't think so. When ds was little he wore a shabbos shirt all year. for everyday, he wore a tee shirt or turtleneck when it got cold.

once we went to shul and saw a little boy with a turtlneck and vest on top,and the next time he got dressed durign the week, he asked me if it ws shabbos !!!

maybe the rules are different for a boy, but a plain white tneck to me is nothing special.

even for myself, if I need a dickey for shabbos, I get something polyestery or with a fancy funneled neck.

fruitbasket

Post Wed, Jan 21 2009, 5:35 pm
an elegant turtle neck can be quite dressy, especially cowelnecks

greenfire

Post Fri, Jan 23 2009, 9:52 am
I think it depends on the specific turtleneck and what you wear along with it ...

I personally would feel claustrophobic in them ... but I have pictures of my girlies with nice thick ones of different colours and a simple skirt - loverly looking ... Colors
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics