Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
More kippas on tv and movies?

catonmylap

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 1:34 am
For the 2nd night in row, dh and I watched something that featured the father or stepfather wearing a kippa. It was very strange as the families didn't seem religious at all. They seemed as secular Jewish as you normally see.

The first one we saw was on "Wedding Daze" (the movie).

And the 2nd one was on "Being Erica" (a new tv show from Canada which was surprisingly good about a 32 year old woman who traveled back in time to fix things in her own life).

Anyone else see this trend? any idea why?

Till now all the Jews have been:
1-Hasidic Jews on Law & Order
2-secular Seinfeld type
3-Rabbis (usually conservative, old guys)

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 1:50 am
catonmylap wrote:

Or women.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 2:01 am
Hey, we also saw the Being Erica show last wee, are there any new episodes (we watched the pilot and liked it).
Wedding Daze sounds vaguely familiar and I remember recetnly watching a movie where the fatehr wore a kippa for no apparent reason - could you maybe jag my memory? Also in an episode of The Big Bang Theory a man with a kippa sruga was featured in a bit part.
I figured it was just the producers way of telling us that this guy was a committed Jewish man. I don't think the producers realize the difference between a frum Jew and a person whose Jewish identity is important to them, or even if they do understand the diffrence, they might just use the kippa the same way they's use a great big cross to make sure all us viewers understand the character is a committed Christian.

baba

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 4:51 am
Doesnt Law and order also have a dati actor who wears his kippa?

chayamom

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 5:17 am
Law and order had an actor by the name of Stephen Hill. He is an orthodox very frum yid who in his younger days started out as an actor but when he got older got more religious. From what I understand, his rebbe (not sure who) told him he can still work without wearing his kippa on the show because that is his livelihood. His daughter once told me they had no idea what their father did for a living till they were much much older. The family is extremely frum. No TV in the house.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 5:21 am
malkiek1 wrote:
Law and order had an actor by the name of Stephen Hill. He is an orthodox very frum yid who in his younger days started out as an actor but when he got older got more religious. From what I understand, his rebbe (not sure who) told him he can still work without wearing his kippa on the show because that is his livelihood. His daughter once told me they had no idea what their father did for a living till they were much much older. The family is extremely frum. No TV in the house.

I vaguely remember my parents telling me about a star of a very popular show that aired in the sixties or sevnties who become frum and there was some sort of problem because the show aired on friday nights. I think this may have been mission impossible, or maybe something else like that.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 5:44 am
If we changed the topic to frum actors.
Here is an amazing story of a frum actor.
Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaphet_Kotto

mimivan

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 5:44 am
I don't know if this is true, but I heard that Steve Hill can act on Law and Order without a kippah, but he doesn't actually walk more than a few steps (under the minimum required by halacha to walk without a kippa) so he is not violating halacha ..and his tzitzit are inside.

I haven't seen the show since I became frum, so I don't know if this is true.

mimivan

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 5:46 am
catonmylap wrote:
For the 2nd night in row, dh and I watched something that featured the father or stepfather wearing a kippa. It was very strange as the families didn't seem religious at all. They seemed as secular Jewish as you normally see.

The first one we saw was on "Wedding Daze" (the movie).

And the 2nd one was on "Being Erica" (a new tv show from Canada which was surprisingly good about a 32 year old woman who traveled back in time to fix things in her own life).

Anyone else see this trend? any idea why?

Till now all the Jews have been:
1-Hasidic Jews on Law & Order
2-secular Seinfeld type

Don't forget Kyle's family in South Park Twisted Evil (father wears a kippah and it really looks like his mom has a sheitel...but they are cartoon characters.

catonmylap

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 6:39 am
Quote:
Hey, we also saw the Being Erica show last wee, are there any new episodes (we watched the pilot and liked it).

Yes, episode 2 is out. I've downloaded it, but we haven't gotten to it yet.

greenfire

Post Thu, Jan 15 2009, 11:24 am
this is going on for quite a few years now ...

frumluv

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 10:31 pm
chanchy123 wrote:
If we changed the topic to frum actors.
Here is an amazing story of a frum actor.
Check it out: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yaphet_Kotto

I didn't know he or Stephen Hill were frum.

I don't think we ca count South Park...lol

Mama Bear

Post Sat, Jan 24 2009, 10:34 pm
Funnily enough the episode review for last weeks episode of My Name is Earl said that Joy & Darnell had to dress as Orthodox Jews for the Witness Protection program. Since I stopped watching online tv 1 1/2 years ago, I dont want to see the episode but I'd love to see a still pic of these guys dressed as frum jews LOL

DefyGravity

Post Mon, Jan 26 2009, 10:30 am
Kippas I've seen on TV shows:
Arrested Development
Curb Your Enthusiasm
Simpsons
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics