Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
We blundered, now what?

amother

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 12:49 am
We recently bought an apt, and the parquet was put down buy a sub, who happens to be our new neighbor. However, in one of the rooms, it wasn't put down well, and this particular scraper does a pretty lousy job when scraping, too. I wanted to use a diff company to repair the floor and scrape, but then we made a cheshbon it would be rude to our new neighbor. So we asked him at first nicely, to fix the floor. He kept on pushing us off with excuses like, I'll fix when I scrape, and whatever. We also had issues w/him lying flat out. We got quite upset, and started complaining to the company, and then complaining some more. Finally, the scraper agreed to fix it, and call me before he scrapes. Well, he fixed it, and didn't call me before he scraped! We went mad, checked the floor, and saw he repaired it w/ some putty, whereas we wanted him to replace the faulty planks. So now we started complaining aggressively. He became mad, and called DH tonight telling him how hurt and upset he is at us for badmouthing him to the construction company, that we hurt his business, and that, yes, he saw how determined we were, and he doesn't want to be in a disagreement w/ a new neighbor, so he changed the planks. (which means the trimmer now has to replace the baseboard and the painter has to repair the wall, both got damaged in the process) So now we went from being new neighbors who were trying to be nice and not go to a diff scraper despite our dissatisfaction w/ his service, to getting a new neighbor that is MAD and hurt and we feel TERRIBLE!

How do we reconcile? After all, aren't relationships built on first impressions? Because we definitely made a very bad one! (and all this after being the kind of ppl who always try to please others and respect other's feelings. Maybe we just got too carried away, I mean is a nice floor worth another person's hurt feeling?)

Tamiri

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 1:15 am
I would bake up a nice cake/make something for them and both of you bring it over and say how sorry you are things didn't get off on the right foot, that's how it is when building, biggest cause of strife etc. and how much you would like to just put it behind you.
And in the future don't do business with family and friends.

Mom2girls

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 6:15 am
also maybe write letter to company to say it was done to your satisfaction... whatever.. jsut so that he doesn't bear grudge

amother

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 9:50 am
Tamiri wrote:
And in the future don't do business with family and friends.

THIS would anger him more than anything--he is the most hurt that we might have spread word around that he's not reliable and good---probably the first step for us to reconcile would be is to help him get customers---as paradoxical as it is.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette