Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty
Mascara recommendations, please

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 5:54 pm
considering how infrequently I wear mascara, I was shocked on monday when I realized that all I have left is little clumps at the bottom of the tube Confused

so now I need to buy another one, for the next once in a blue moon when I feel it appropriate to wear a half a dab of makeup.

here are some requirements I have in mascara (feel free to consider me weird on any or all of the points mentioned):

-- I have very long lashes. I'd love to have a thinner mascara so I don't look like I have spiders on my eyes. I've had that extra plump type of mascara and I think I look seriously scary.

-- I prefer it not be waterproof

-- I'd like one that doesn't clump

-- and I'm not going to a makeup counter for this, so it has to be something I can buy in a local chain pharmacy.

I'm shocked at how picky I am over something I wear about five times a year. thanks in advance. I'm sure some of you ladies out there are mascara experts...

cassandra

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 6:21 pm
The pink and green one- I think it's Maybelline Great Lashes or something. It's the one that my makeup artist uses. Better than the expensive stuff.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 6:28 pm
that's the stuff I just clumped out of. it's ok for the first few times you use it, but it seems to have dried up pretty quickly.

Barbara

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 6:36 pm
Maybelline Define A Lash, red tube. Best stuff ever.

Please, please replace your mascara frequently even if there's plenty in the tube. Its a breeding ground for bacteria.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 6:38 pm
how frequently do you suggest I replace it?

cassandra

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 6:39 pm
mummiedearest wrote:
that's the stuff I just clumped out of. it's ok for the first few times you use it, but it seems to have dried up pretty quickly.

How quickly?

Barbara

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 6:42 pm
cassandra wrote:
The pink and green one- I think it's Maybelline Great Lashes or something. It's the one that my makeup artist uses. Better than the expensive stuff.

You have a makeup artist?

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 6:43 pm
a few months. I probably used it less than five times. (I've been very sociable these past few months.)

cassandra

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 6:48 pm
Barbara wrote:
cassandra wrote:

She's a makeup artist who is a friend of my family's who does my makeup for special occasions. I didn't know a better way to word it.

Barbara

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 6:57 pm
cassandra wrote:
Barbara wrote:
cassandra wrote:

She's a makeup artist who is a friend of my family's who does my makeup for special occasions. I didn't know a better way to word it.

Oh, don't pay any attention to me. I'm just jealous.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 7:18 pm
barbara, how often should I replace mascara?

cassandra

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 7:37 pm
I Googled it and consensus seems to be 3-6 months.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 7:42 pm
well, look at that. my mascara got yucky in that amount of time. even though I never use it. maybe I should color my eyelashes with a black papermate pen.

SingALong

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 7:46 pm
I frequently get eye infections and my eye doctor said to change teh mascara every month. in reality I do it every 2-3 months. (really he said not to where mascara at all but I told him no way so he said fine, change it once a month.)

another idea, if you have the patience is to get those disposable mascara wands, you dip it in only once, dont double dip, and apply. it makes the mascara last longer, I think, less germs.

the best mascara I find is lancome. yes you need to go to a makeup counter for it but they are the best. there are also several options of how thick you want it, waterproof or not, etc so oyu can pick what you like.

mummiedearest

Post Wed, Jan 28 2009, 7:55 pm
right, but I never wear the stuff. I only wore it monday because I had a function to attend. I only have two set functions to attend every year. the only other times I wear makeup are to weddings (which I'm never invited to), family simchas (none coming up, and I wouldn't bother for a bris. only for bar mitzvahs. that's another 10 + yrs down the road), and occasionally for a date with my husband, but I usually don't bother with the makeup even then. I'm not bothering with expensive makeup-counter makeup or the hassle of getting over to macy's for something I'll probably use twice in the relatively near future. but I should have something on hand in case I suddenly become inundated with wedding invitations.

Aidelmom

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 4:05 am
I like the maybelline fulln'soft non waterproof. I alwas thought the great lash pink tube was clumpy.

mummiedearest

Post Thu, Jan 29 2009, 9:51 pm
thanks, I'll see if I can get it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics