Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Would you tell him to put his food away?
Previous  1  2

bandcm

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 5:27 pm
It may be delicious, I don't know, but the smell is awful. (And it is so unhealthy).

Last edited by bandcm on Thu, Feb 05 2009, 5:28 pm; edited 1 time in total

Raisin

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 5:28 pm
carry one of those surgical masks in your pocket. next time someone starts eating, put it on.

devorahrivka

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 7:36 pm
Its funny how all the etiquette books tell you that you shouldn't do this but they never tell you how to deal with it when someone else does. When I travel I always bring a little something but if we are going to be around others I also make sure that it wont be too smelly or annoying...but this doesn't help you...

What I would do (but I'm known for my big mouth) is talk, loudly, to the person next to me about how rude it is for people to bring their smelly food on public transportation and why didn't anyone teach them any manners...but thats just me Wink
Yes, I know I could get shot for less, which is why my husband doesn't let me out alone LOL

I find, more than food, smelly purfume and cologne makes me sick...why do some people think its necessary to use the whole bottle...and why is it that the cheaper it is the more people use What

Pineapple

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 7:41 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
it's against the rules to eat.

that said, no, I would not say anything.

Who said its againts the rules?

Last edited by Pineapple on Thu, Feb 05 2009, 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total

RightOnTarget

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 7:51 pm
Wouldn't dare open my mouth to stranger on train. he might start a fist fight - especially when he's that hungry!

SingALong

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 8:35 pm
an easy trick for those with sensitive olfactory receptors:

please spritz perfume everymorning on your hand, not the palm side the other one. when face with an unpleasant aroma you just place your hand in front of your nose, thereby inhaling your perfume and blocking out the smell. I always do this especially when travelling mass transit, or even walking through the streets of manhattan. (ok so I look a little weird with my hand near my nose but its better than gagging.)

although I have to say that I love the surgical mask idea, and u can even spritz it with perfume!

or to be more discreet, spray your scarf with perfume and then use it to cover your nose

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 9:32 pm
Pineapple wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

The MTA. Eating, loud music, littering. It's on their signs.

Pineapple

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 9:33 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
Pineapple wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

Last I checked it doesnt say anythign about not eating

dainty diva

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 10:15 pm
greenfire wrote:
jewish people eat outside as well ... who are you fooling ...

as for asking him - Confused don't know how you could fathom that querie ...

I would prefer asking the transit authority to clean up the urine/vomit smell around the trains ... Puke

maybe next time you could ask the person next to you to put on more deodorant Twisted Evil

DH came home from work one day, feeling rather wet on his rear. He inspected himself, only to realize he sat in pool of xxxx on the train!!! He tossed that suit for good, and spent long hours in the tub getting his mental mind clean!

louche

Post Fri, Feb 06 2009, 9:59 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Pineapple wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

Eating is not littering. If you leave your takeout bag and wrappers on the train when you leave, trailing crumbs as you go, that's littering and actionable. If you eat your Big Mac--cabee nicely and neatly, pick the crumbs off your chest and put them in your bag, then take the works with you when you get off and throw them in the waste receptacle, that's not littering. Eating on the train may be rude, offputting and declasse, but it's not against the law any more than putting on makeup on the subway is against the law. maybe it ought to be, but it's not.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 06 2009, 10:07 am
Pineapple, do you ride the train much? I'm commuting every day for 9 years.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette