Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Old shoes

Marion

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 3:44 am
Old clothes (outgrown, no longer useful) we give to a gemach. But what to do with old shoes? I'm thinking mostly the kids' shoes. Some are beyond repair and really should just be tossed. And a couple of pairs could just use some good stitching (the velcro tore, for example) and they'd be useable. I know I'm careful to buy new shoes because of the foot shape thing, but I hate the thought of throwing away a shoe that is in good condition.

What about your kids' first pair? Do you keep them? (I don't actually have his first pair; they were sandals and we left them in Toronto - intentionally - in January. He came home with shoes and boots instead.)

BlumaG

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 10:39 am
I would keep a shoe in good condition for that time that the you are running out hte house and cant find theyounger childs shoe u have something to fall back on...
I throw away ones that are not in good condition

greenfire

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 10:47 am
play shoe store ... Mr. Green

cuteson

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 10:57 am
I usually give away good shoes, I don't have the heart to throw it out.
whoever gets it let them decide if it's good or not, and most of the time first pair shoes are really not bad shaped or worn out.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 1:04 pm
My old shoe store would take ds' shoes and fix them back up and give them to needy children. Now, I just donate them with clothes, etc.

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 3:02 pm
My kids look like trash 3 days after they start wearing it. A few weeks later we dump it and they start on their next pair. B’H only such problems.

mumoo

Post Thu, Oct 02 2008, 3:06 pm
soles4souls

Tila

Post Tue, Jan 20 2009, 3:16 pm
There is this org here in mtl that collects clothes that gets sent over seas. Kids in impoverished aeras would love old running shoes, esp when they have none!

veronica

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 6:27 pm
in williamsburg there is a truck before pesach which collects them for a minimum fee

Twizzlers

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 7:22 pm
there is a shoe gemach in flatbush

Barbara

Post Tue, Feb 03 2009, 7:25 pm
veronica wrote:
in williamsburg there is a truck before pesach which collects them for a minimum fee

You have to pay them to take your old shoes???? I'd just throw them in the nearest Goodwill box or throw them away if I had to PAY.

louche

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 11:45 am
Yad Eliezer/Zichron Baila collects shoes in GOOD condition--meaning shoes you yourself would take if offered--once a year around now, I think. They appreciate donations to help defray the cost of shipping to EY. Check with your local cheder or BY b/c they often have drives at these places.

Mimisinger

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 1:03 pm
ShakleeMom wrote:
My kids look like trash 3 days after they start wearing it. A few weeks later we dump it and they start on their next pair. B’H only such problems.

Your kids only wear a pair of shoes for a few weeks???

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 05 2009, 1:11 pm
If the shoe is in great condition and still very wearable then maybe I would give it away. Ds wears his shoes reallly well so his I would consider giving away.

Blair

Post Fri, Feb 06 2009, 3:02 am
I give old shoes to a gamach but most of the time when we are done with shoes they are ready for the trash bin.

RachelEve14

Post Fri, Feb 06 2009, 4:10 am
Marion, if it's still relevent I give htem to dh's parents and they put them on a wall in Netanya. I also am careful about buying new shoes, but if someone doesn't have the money I imagine better they wear my kids old ones than nothing at all Sad

Cdlf

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 11:21 am
My kids brought home a note to send old shoes to school last week. This happens every year.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics