Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Two year old came home with lice

pomegranate

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 8:08 am
there are maybe seven kids in his class and still there is one mother who dosn't take care of her child it seems.
anyway what do I do with his head packed with lice?
did anyone try the Dr. Fischer shampoo and saw that it helped?

greenfire

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 9:13 am
first of all a packed head means they were having a party ... check your son's head every single day ... they don't call it "nit-picking" for nothing ... whatever shampoos you use ... wash / comb / pick / heat with blow dryer / then cover head with hair gel cause it will suffocate anything you missed (without any awful smell) ... are you ready ... now do the same thing tomorrow ... and the next day ... you should be good to go ... and make sure to check everyone in the house as well !!!

israel22

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 10:46 am
when I had this problem I I tried this dr fisher stuff but s/t else I think was cheaper and easier olive oil! shmear there head in it let sit for 10-15min and then comb they fall off! make sure to shampoo like 3 times afterwards b/c otherwise it won't come out! and my baby is 1 1/2 and I just kept her busy while combing I know just comb 1-2times a week when I bathe her that way u can catch it early! hatzlacha!

brbs

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 1:38 pm
My daughter had this a couple years ago. I did the shampoo and the picking and several weeks if not months later they were still there.. Finally I rinsed her head with plain white vinigar... There is something in vinigar that desolves the glue that helps the nits stick on. I shampoooed her hair with plain shampoo after and gave it a good combing... It has been gone ever since...

NYmommy

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 1:54 pm
My dd had lice last year, I tried several shampoos but nothing helped. Then I heard about a spray "ol kinim" from SANO, IT WORKS WONDERS! After 2 treatments all lice were gone & never returned...

bubby

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 1:58 pm
If other kids keep getting reinfected from one child, have the teacher insist the mother takes care of it & the kid is checked by a professional or an MD & brings a signed paper before he can come back to school. Ugh! my DS had very long, super-thick hair & was crawling before his upsherin. It took 2 full days to de-louse him. My total sympathies! Scratching Head Scratching Head

Barbara

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 3:01 pm
pomegranate wrote:
there are maybe seven kids in his class and still there is one mother who dosn't take care of her child it seems.
anyway what do I do with his head packed with lice?
did anyone try the Dr. Fischer shampoo and saw that it helped?

Shampoo isn't going to get rid of the nits; it will, however, kill the live bugs, assuming its the right shampoo.

Shampoo with a lice-killing shampoo. Google, but IIRC, tea tree oil and peppermint oil in the shampoo should do it. Then use a good lice comb (the metal kind). Section the hair, put a thick white conditioner (Pantene is good) and baking soda in each section, and comb comb comb. After each stroke, wipe the comb on a white paper towel and check for nits. When there are no more nits, go on to the next area. When you're done, rinse, then dry with a blow drier. At night, cover hair with oil so nits can't hatch, shampoo in morning. Repeat DAILY until no more nits are found, then every other day for two weeks.

Be sure to launder all surfaces that his head touched, or vacuum if it can't be laundered. Anything that can't be vacuumed or laundered should be placed in a plastc bag for several days. Don't forget carpets, couches, dining room chairs, beds, toys, jackets, kippot.

Check EVERYONE in your family. Do ALL of their coats if they hang in a closet together.

Remember that lice prefer clean hair. Also, since not everyone itches from them, not everyone notices them immediately. If your child's hair is *packed* for example, its a good guess he's had them for weeks. In other words, the child from whom your child caught the lice might not have been negligent, but merely clueless.

RightOnTarget

Post Sun, Feb 08 2009, 5:50 pm
Viniger worked best for my ds in keeping him lice free.

muss

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 12:03 am
My dd has lice and she is only 19 months. It's so hard to deal with, especially because she can't sit still for more then 2 min. I tried giving her toys- entertaining her, but it doesn't work. What I found works the best, is to comb her hair in the bath. It's a bit easier. But it's hard checking for nits - any advice?

Akeres Habayis

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 12:35 am
we are paranoid in my hse.
dd has a lot of curly hair.we comb it with the lice comb everyday(thanks for the tip chosidmom),w water.
but I think I will try the vinegar.

let me also understand correctly the procedure
(the parting section by section is not a good idea for a 2yr old,especially my dd it would take hours!)
put vinager on it first
then shampoo it,and condition it then comb it out or comb it after the vinager??
I mamosh can't do this everyday.sometimes I barely get to do one side of her head before she is screaming to go play.
the olive oil sounds like a good idea,bc then they at least suffocate.not to mention olive oil is a fantastic conditioner.

I have been so desperate as to just cut off all her hair and be done w/it!!

ChossidMom

Post Mon, Feb 09 2009, 1:50 am
We just comb every day or every other day with a really good, long pronged lice comb.
Usually I smear conditioner in it first and then the nits comb out more easily.
I've stopped using the expensive Dr. Fisher stuff years ago, since it never prevented the lice from coming back. The schools and ganim here are full of kids who are full of lice, so it's a never ending problem. We just comb every day. And unfortunately, the kids still scratch no matter how much I comb. I won't use the poison shampoos on them cause they're toxic and anyway the lice will reappear the next week or so.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics