Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Homemade Baby Food

ButterflyGarden

Post Thu, Jan 19 2006, 10:38 am
BS"D
Does anyone make their own baby food? We where thinking about doing it to same money, and control more what we give our daughter. What recipes do you use? Are there any major disadvantages?

imanut

Post Thu, Jan 19 2006, 10:48 am
don't give her homemade carrots. they have nitrates in them that are not safe.

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Jan 19 2006, 12:21 pm
I just cooked some vegetables and smashed them up. I did sweet potatoes, squash, apples, peaches, pears. I put them into ice cube trays and froze, then transferred to ziplocs in the freezer. This is a good serving size. Also bananas you can smash up and serve fresh. Really my babies were not on pure baby food for very long, we started serving table food as soon as they were ready. Some foods I would only buy in jars because of convenience or health factors (ie carrots) - beans, peas, carrots.

1stimer

Post Thu, Jan 19 2006, 12:58 pm
I made my own baby food. As meema said, I froze it in ice cube trays. Bananas and avocado are great because they can be served without preperation.

Btw, the selection of baby food is not great, esp. if you want without sugar.

zigi

Post Thu, Jan 19 2006, 1:44 pm
when I make vegetable soup I puree it for my baby, also mashed potatoes, I make it more liquid, also cholent. gladware has 4 ounce containers I freeze the food in there.
beechnut baby food jars only has the natural sugar that is from the fruit or vegetable, on the jar it says vegetable, and water that is necessary for preparation .

raizy

Post Thu, Jan 19 2006, 10:06 pm
I always made homemade baby food. I just mash up the food or blend it in a blender and voila the baby its it all up. what I use is the vegtables from the chicken soup . it workes really well and it has a good taste..

supermommy

Post Thu, Jan 19 2006, 10:47 pm
Quote:

even the organic carrots? How do they have nitrates? this is the first time I'm hearing about this. (although I knew non organic carrots are a no no because they absorb all the pestisides)

LikeMeDoes

Post Tue, Jan 24 2006, 8:47 am
This thing about carrots is new to me too. Does it apply to cooked carrots on their own, or also when carrots are in a soup?
I make my own baby food because it is so expensive where I live, 1 small beechnut jar costs the equivalent of $1!!!
Sometimes I cook fruit and vegetables solo, and sometimes 2 or 3 together. I also freeze them in ice-cube trays. That way if the baby wants more, its easy to defrost another couple cubes.
Also, when I make vegetable soup, I blend it, take off some for the baby, then add the seasonings.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Jan 24 2006, 1:10 pm
My two older kids refused to eat meat, I thought it might be because they didn't have it at a young age, because it wasn't soft enough for them. so when my third was in that stage, I BOUGHT A SMALL FOOD PROCESSOR I USED IT TO PUREE ALL FLEISHIG MEALS FOR MY SON. iT WAS GREAT!! hE IS MY BEST EATER NOW! all you do is put a small serving in the food processor, and add a little water to it so that it blends nicely. Its the same as the beechnut jarred meats , only its kosher and homemade!

You can make soup and thicken it up with chicken and Matza balls, then puree it. three meatballs and spaghetti and a little water is also great. I also made it with chicken cutlets and rice and a small amount of water. I used to use the leftoves from supper to make a few dinners at a time, then I bought 4 oz containers and froze them . I always had a good selection in my freezer.

I never bothered with vegtables, just because the jars are not that expensice here. Also if you are giving your child a real meal, they don't go through as many jars of food.

baby's mom

Post Tue, Jan 24 2006, 2:54 pm
Quote:
Some foods I would only buy in jars because of convenience or health factors (ie carrots) - beans, peas, carrots.

Confused What is the problem with carrots, peas..?

LikeMeDoes

Post Wed, Jan 25 2006, 9:19 am
Another thing I'd like to know, if any of you experienced mothers out there could tell me.
When is it safe to start pureeing and giving babys part of your meal - I mean with salt and seasonings added? I just know that it says in all the books not to add salt to baby's food bc their bodies don't need it.

Itta

Post Fri, Jan 27 2006, 1:58 pm
mommy3.5 your idea to blend meat and other foods, put me on a baby food crusade!! LOL

at least I have something to do with my leftovers instead of letting them rot in the back of the fridge embarrassed , and my son is SOOO happy to have real tasting food!

I lined my ice cube tray with plastic wrap and filled it with ground chicken. then I popped the cubes out and put them in a zip lock bag in the freezer.

now all I need to do is just defrost a cube and mix it with his cereal and veggies from the jar.

its a complete meal!! and I'm soo excited.

Thanks for the great idea!

zigi

Post Sat, Jan 28 2006, 11:21 pm
thanks for the good ideas mom3.5 and everyone else! I will start to get busy! I give my daughter with spices she likes it better that way, she's 7 months.

raizy

Post Sun, Jan 29 2006, 11:52 pm
I say the books dont know what they are talking about . all my kids liked the spices in the vegatables and meat... so cook it any way u like it. .

Aish

Post Mon, Jan 30 2006, 7:14 am
imanut wrote:

BUY ORGANIC AND YOU WONT HAVE THIS PROBLEM!

Aish

Post Mon, Jan 30 2006, 7:20 am
I always made veggies and grouped together and froze. like zucchini and carrots, etc.. and then fruits like apple and plum. in addition I would make organic brown rice and puree that as well and serve that with the veggies so they have a grain. spices are good although I suggest you do some research. many spices have medicinal affects. example:Cinnamon is very warming and can "burn" the skin of a young child. making it red. so you have to know what your giving. ginger is quite powerful too in bigger doses. salt is not so recommended, as it is general to much sodium for a small child. maybe a drop. but to those who suggested the same serving of salt that you would use on your food, that not correct and unhealthy for a child.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics