Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
When Crying It Out Doesn't Work...

amother

Post Thu, Jan 26 2006, 2:58 pm
I've been trying to sleep-train my almost one and a half year old toddler. A couple of months ago, my toddler started sleeping throught the night. I can't remember what happened but that stopped after about 6 weeks. Three weeks ago, I tried to sleep-train my toddler again. It hasn't worked! Besides for 2 nights about a week ago, my toddler keeps waking up!

Please help! What should I do? I CRAVE a good night's sleep! Or should I just give up on trying to sleep train?

red sea

Post Thu, Jan 26 2006, 3:17 pm
Why can't you just leave him in the crib through the night? Do you have to entertain him? He'll learn on his own that at night we sleep. You know he's safe, he does not need to eat, so why not?

zigi

Post Fri, Jan 27 2006, 12:45 pm
put some toys in with him, or a bottle with water, he might get hooked to it so only put water in it. what do you do when he wakes up do you take him out or comfort him while he's still inside and then he goes back to sleep, he cries if his foot gets stuck, or very pishy or dirty diaper don't work keep with it it will eventually work.

baby's mom

Post Fri, Jan 27 2006, 12:57 pm
are you sure he's not hungry? cold?

goldrose

Post Fri, Jan 27 2006, 12:59 pm
the problem with a child 1 1/2 y.o. is that they can't communicate. Since he can't tell you what he wants, you have to guess. Are you willing to risk that he is scared/lonely/needs mommy's comfort and you are leaving him alone?
If so, leave him alone, let him cry by himself, and let him learn that he wants someone who doesnt want him.

Expecting

Post Sat, Jan 28 2006, 1:32 pm
you can pm me

amother

Post Sat, Jan 28 2006, 10:36 pm
Quote:
If so, leave him alone, let him cry by himself, and let him learn that he wants someone who doesnt want him.

im sorry goldrose,but I think that is very harsh comment ,a mother is looking for advice and you are totally blowing this out of proportions,this mother feels bad enough & s frusterated,in my opinion if I was the mother who posted,I would be very upset with your comment.next time weigh your words,and try wording things like this a little more gently.

goldrose

Post Sat, Jan 28 2006, 10:42 pm
amother, sometimes the truth hurts and sometimes it takes a strong statement to get the point across. I don't think it was rude, mean, or derogotory- just my opinion, and I stand by it.

raizy

Post Mon, Jan 30 2006, 12:01 am
sorry goldrose. but a mother does deserve a good night sleep. at a age when the child should know better. and is not hungry .cold. or needs a pamper. there is nothig wrong in letting a baby stay in his bed a whole night.

now if I can convince that to my 21 months old baby. everything will be fine...

amother

Post Mon, Jan 30 2006, 10:48 am
goldrose wrote:
Are you willing to risk that he is scared/lonely/needs mommy's comfort and you are leaving him alone?

Tell me, are you this rude and insensitive in real life too? Or is cyberspace just a good outlet for you to be rude?

Won't it confuse him the next morning when I go in and want to be with him the whole day? Might it hinder him learning that 'he wants someone who doesn't want him?'

Quote:
sometimes the truth hurts and [...]- just my opinion,

So what is it the truth? or just your opinion? Or is your opinion THE TRUTH?

Quote:
sometimes it takes a strong statement to get the point across.

You will attract more bees with honey than with vinegar.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics