Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Anyone speak spanish?

cb

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 10:59 am
I need someone to call my cleaning lady and speak to her, she does not understand my english?

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 11:23 am
my suggestion would be to open up a site with spanish/english translation and try that way ...

http://dictionary.reference.com/translate

cb

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 11:24 am
I called her already, she did not really understand but too bad, I cant go crazy.
thanks

greenfire

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 11:31 am
making an effort to communicate is not going crazy ... and if it's too bad ... who will be losing out if you don't learn to communicate with her ... What

shayna82

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 11:45 am
ok so I speak a small amount of spanish, but needed more help..

online you can find a translator in which you can type paragraphs in english and it translates the whole thing to spanish. then you just print it and read it or give it to the cleaning lady. it worked beautifully for me. unfortunatly, she is not around anymore, I kind of fired her for lazy work

cb

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 12:06 pm
she doesnt know how to read.

shayna82

Post Wed, Feb 18 2009, 12:24 pm
she dosnt know how to read spanish?

DevorahMonsey

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 9:43 pm
Freetranslation.com

I use it for all sorts of things for my housekeeper, scheduling, explaining the kitchen, Pesach (!). It's super-easy to use and has saved my life countless times.

Annie

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 10:27 pm
Tell me what you want to tell her and I'll write it out phonetically for you. Problem is that she will probably respond in Spanish. Sign language usually works the best, just pointing to what you need, but if it's timing or days of the week, I can probably help you out.

At some point I typed up a description about kashrus and keeping stuff separate for my neice in Houston, but I have no idea where that is. . .

shlomitsmum

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 2:13 pm
native spanish speaker at your service! just PM

amother

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 3:09 pm
shayna82 wrote:
she dosnt know how to read spanish?

You'd be amazed how many people in this country don't know how to read--english, spanish or any language. it's one of our secret shames--literacy rates are way lower than in other industrialized nations. Few people are going to tell you they can't read.

I teach a class for adults and eventually realized that some people were flunking the exam because they can't read well. I started reading the questions and multiple-choice answers aloud to the whole class, "for those of you who left your reading glasses at home."

anon b/c I've been telling this story to e/o I know.

bubby

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 3:17 pm
It's very easy to be functionally illiterate in this country. Everything is diagrammed, you get the news on TV/radio, & although people can't read they often can recognize certain brands of things by labels. Sad.

louche

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 3:22 pm
I'm functionally illiterate in pictogramish. I have no idea what those arcane symbols on the fabric care labels or the appliance assembly labels mean. We've long since graduated from cave paintings to the written word. I want my written words!

bubby

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 3:27 pm
That's why we have dry cleaners. Mine was so happy with our level of business we got wine at Pesach & RH. No kidding!!!

greenfire

Post Mon, Mar 23 2009, 3:29 pm
http://www.fabriclink.com/care.....s.cfm
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics