Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Buying kosher food in Philadelphia

amother

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 7:19 pm
I need to buy kosher groceries. We don't live anywhere near a kosher grocery store. I tink the closest big city is Philadelphia. Where do you buy kosher groceries there?

I need things that are cholov yisrael, pas yisrael/ yoshon, and meat with a good hechsher, also I would like a place with a good selection.

Also could someone recomend a place to eat/ restaurant while I'm there since I'll need to eat before I head home.

Amother because of ideentifying info.

ShakleeMom

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 7:21 pm
Near the Chabad shul you will find the butcher and grocer. Asl them for directions to the 2 big restaurants a block away.

amother

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 7:36 pm
I just looked up all the chabad shuls in Philadelphia area on chabad.org and found about 20 different ones. Which one is thew one to call. On what street is it or what is the name of the rabbi?

Thanks so much. I just love living in the boondocks Rolling Eyes

happyone

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 7:41 pm
I just went through the list of restaurants in Philly. A couple had no clue with kosher certification is, one said "we are kosher, but don't find our certification, and had no clue which hechsher... several were not chalov yisroel. If anyone knows the name of any cholov yisroel restaurant, let me know. Holy Land Pizza looked okay.
There is a grocery on Haverland Ave, but I couldnt find cholov yisroel there.

greenfire

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 7:45 pm
MOO !!!

sounds like you'll need a cow Idea

lech lecha08

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 9:13 pm
Have you tried the ShopRite on the Blvd? They have a decent kosher grocery section and also have a counter for deli and cooked foods.
11000 Roosevelt Blvd.

Philadelphia, PA 19116

Phone: (215) 673-1200

chavamom

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 9:18 pm
Which part of Phlly are you going to? PM me and I can be of help.

avigayil

Post Sat, Feb 21 2009, 9:19 pm
I live in the Phila. burbs, which I guess still counts as the Phila. community.
I go to the Acme in Narberth, PA, a few miles outside the city limits. There is a big kosher section there with cholov israel and pas Yisrael products. The bakery is also pas Yisrael and there is a kosher deli.

The kosher grocery on HAVERFORD Avenue is called R&R. That is on the Philadelphia side. They have a kosher fish market, hard to find kosher tiems, kosher cheese galore.
There is a bagel shop next door that is pas Israel too.

Have fun.

amother

Post Sun, Feb 22 2009, 9:00 am
IIRC, several Shop Rites have dedicated sections called *The Kosher Experience* with a wide range of kosher foods available. There used to be one in Cherry Hill, NJ in addition to the other ones mentioned. Its in the same shopping center as Lin's -- assuming Lin's is still there. I've never eaten there; it used to be another kosher place.

AFAIK, kosher restaurants will cluster in a couple of areas. There are a few on Castor Avenue in the Oxford Circle / Northeast Philadelphia area, and a couple in the Overbrook Park / Bala Cynwyd area. There's also a deli (take out only -- Klapholz, I think) on Old York Road in Jenkintown (at least there was last time we looked), and there's Max & David's, an excellent meat restaurant, there. There should also be a couple in Center City.

A fast google shows me that Rajbhog still exists. No idea who supervises or if its good, but I've also never understood it. I can't recall the last time there was a significant Jewish population near Adams Avenue!

Here's some info from the Keystone-K site:

http://philly-direct.com/frum/vaad.html

and Shamash

http://shamash.org/kosher/search.php

Emee

Post Sun, Feb 22 2009, 10:42 am
your best bet is to contact the kollel, there is a regular lakewood kollel in philadelphia and they shoudl be able to driect you to the best places. I haven't lived there in years and I fidn thinsg change alot in philly. Also the philadelphia yeshiva staff or rav Kamentesky himself shoudl also be able to give you a list of the stores and bakeries.

Here is the kollel info:
349 Montgomery Ave.
Bala Cynwyd, PA 19004
Phone: 610-668-9557
Fax : 610-668-9558
Email: pc.kollel@verizon.net

Here is the yeshiva info
6063 Drexel Rd
Philadelphia, PA 19131, United States
(215) 477-1001

Here is the info for aish ha torah (another good source of info)

Tel: 610-668-9600
phila@aish.com

Hatzlacha!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics