Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What type of Shabbos candles do you use?
Previous  1  2

Tea lights
Regular Shabbos candles - short fat ones  
 28%  [ 13 ]
Regular Shabbos candles - regular taller ones  
 10%  [ 5 ]
Oil  
 45%  [ 21 ]
Other  
 15%  [ 7 ]
Total Votes : 46

montrealmommy

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 7:33 pm
I use neronim with oil and water (we fill the bottom with water then add the oil then a floating wick) - the water acts as a backup safety incase they are knocked over, also, it alows us to use less water (and sometimes I color the water with food dye).

mama-star

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 7:58 pm
I use candles. although I have heard oil is more "choshuv" and thus better, I think candles are prettier. so for ME, I use candles.

MyKidsRQte

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 8:48 pm
I light neironim candles & 2 oil lecht

hannah95

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 9:57 pm
I light with oil, with water, in a silver thing (like a bowl, can't find the english world sorry).

I used to light with tea candles, but my dh insisted I switched to oil, he thought candles were too ashk ! Smile

su7kids

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 11:04 pm
I use the oil lamps like in Tamari's picture, the top one, with lamp oil. Found out to my deteriment that there are two kinds of lamp oil, one, which is the right one to use, which is smokeless and odorless and one which is NOT, and the NOT one, after you've lit your candles for Shabbos, and they start smoking and stinking there is NOTHING you can do, because its Shabbos. TG it was summer and we opened the door, but oy vay, what a mess.

I love it, it adds to my hiddur Shabbos because they are pretty and there is no clean up afterwards!

shanie5

Post Sat, Jan 31 2009, 11:32 pm
su7kids wrote:
I use the oil lamps like in Tamari's picture, the top one, with lamp oil. Found out to my deteriment that there are two kinds of lamp oil, one, which is the right one to use, which is smokeless and odorless and one which is NOT, and the NOT one, after you've lit your candles for Shabbos, and they start smoking and stinking there is NOTHING you can do, because its Shabbos. TG it was summer and we opened the door, but oy vay, what a mess.

I love it, it adds to my hiddur Shabbos because they are pretty and there is no clean up afterwards!

I also use like tamiri showed, w/ parafin. You need 99% pure lamp oil-like sue said. Funny thing happened this week. I asked dd to buy me more parafin last week, and she picked up 4 bottles-1 of which was regular lamp oil. I put that one aside to return. well, my son filled up the lamps this week, needed more parafin, and found the one I put aside. After lighting, 3 of the lights were smoking like crazy-and I realized why. I had my ds blow those out, and left the rest going. just have to remember to spill those out and get rid of the 'bad' oil so it doesnt happen next week too!!

SingALong

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 12:12 am
I voted other since it didnt give the option for both

I use two regualr candles in glass holders on my leichter for the two shabbos candles. I then light 3 smaller oild candles. and I light 2 more regular candles in glass holders on two other candlesticks

Tamiri

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 12:23 am
I don't know what lamp oil you get there, besides the paraffin meant for the glass candles, but here, people used lamp oil made from olive oil and that was the end of the candles. Bad oil ruins the everlasting wick.

grin

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 2:44 am
mama-star wrote:
I use candles. although I have heard oil is more "choshuv" and thus better

oil is not considered more "choshuv" according to chabad.

Marion

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 4:11 am
I use the Neronim (in the glass cups) and tealights. Neronim in my candlesticks, tealights in the candleholders for my kids.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 4:31 am
I use oil but I have a large stock of tea candles for guests. I light in those glass cups that come with the fat short candles. We fill them up half the way with water and then add special oil for canlde lighting שמן למאור (excpet for this past friday when **I** was the one filling them up and couldn't understand why my wicks wouldn't light up - turned out I forgot to add the oil embarrassed ).

Isramom8

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 4:32 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Isramom8 wrote:
Tea lights. I used to use Neronim, but just always felt more comfortable with the tradtional short, fat candles my mother used. Later in life she switched to tea lights. They're similar to what I grew up with, and convenient. My Oneg Shabbos is to minimize hassle in certain areas.

But is it kovod Shabobs? Did you do hataras nedorim when you switched "back" ?

I believe lighting candles in any form is what halacha says is kovod Shabbos. My sanity is kovod Shabbos!!!

"Going higher" to me means using tall thin candlesticks. Wink

I didn't do hataras nedarim; I never committed to use a particular type of Shabbos lights. I consider myself as having been "searching for my light". Just kidding - on a serious note, I never considered that switching might require hataras nedarim. What if you start using a plainer siddur, or start wearing knee highs instead of pantyhose - do you have to be mattir neder?

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 9:21 am
Isramom8 wrote:
I didn't do hataras nedarim; I never committed to use a particular type of Shabbos lights. I consider myself as having been "searching for my light". Just kidding - on a serious note, I never considered that switching might require hataras nedarim. What if you start using a plainer siddur, or start wearing knee highs instead of pantyhose - do you have to be mattir neder?

Going up isn't a problem, but if you went from heavy hose to thinner, you might. askyour rov

Mimisinger

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 10:14 am
I used to use reg. tall candles, now I use tea lights in glass holders on top of my candle sticks. For me, I used to get so stressed out having candles lit and then we would go out. So, in my mind, a tea light, if it were to fall over would be safer than a tall candle. I don't know if this is reality, but it makes me feel better.

Oh, I also light a wick in oil for a segula...

mynameismom

Post Sun, Feb 01 2009, 10:45 am
I use the tall white candles for my leichter, I think its more kavodik for Shabbos. Right now I'm using tea lights for my candles I light for my kids until I get a candelabra.

momomany

Post Sun, Feb 15 2009, 10:50 pm
I use the clear gass candles similar to Tamiris. We fill them with liquid paraffin (smokeless, odorless) - no more black spots on walls & ceiling! It is also our family minhag to light 2 extra flames with olive oil as a segulah for good children.

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Feb 22 2009, 2:23 pm
I use neronim during winter, switch to tea lights in summer because shabbat starts real late and I don't want the candles burning till 1am...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics