Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Msouki

Capitalchick

Post Mon, Feb 23 2009, 10:29 am
Yesterday I spent some time making a giant (and I mean GIANT) pot of Msouki. I used my large stock pot (it's, like, 25 litres or something).

For those who don't know, Msouki is a "spring soup" (I think that's the translation) that comes from Tunisia. It's eaten by Tunisians (maybe other Sephardim as well?) at Pesach seders. But I really love it and find it so healthy that I try to make it through the year.

Since I'm going to, G-d willing, be giving birth in the near future, I thought I'd make a giant pot of Msouki and freeze as much as possible. By adding just a little rice to your bowl, you have a complete meal. Here's what I put in the pot:

2-4 large shoulder steaks, cut into large chunks, depending on how much meat you want
1 whole cut up chicken, skin on ( you can remove skin if you really want, but this is the only fat in the soup and I think it's better to leave the skin on and remove it later). You can also use lamb, veal, or just lots of steak (which is how my grandmother makes it!)
1 whole bunch fresh dill
1 whole bunch fresh corriander
1 whole bunch fresh parsley
1.5 bunches of fresh mint (the mint bunches were smaller than other spices, so I used 1.5 bunches)
1 large turnip, cut into large chunks
1 large (or 5 small) parsnips, cut into large chunks
3 yellow skin potatoes, cut into large chunks
5 large carrots, cut into large chunks
4 cups of fresh spinach (no need to measure, just wash and throw in as much as you want)
2 huge field tomatoes (or 3 regular size), cut into chunks
2 large brown onions, cut into quarters
4 stocks of Cardon (this looks like Jurassic celery. The stalks are HUGE. I think this is key, so really try to get some cardon and try not to substitute, although it's not the end of the world if you use celery)
6-8 cloves of fresh garlic, sliced (you can also just dump in a bunch of powder)
Salt/Pepper to taste
2.5 cups white wine

Put everything into the pot, fill with water, and set to a low boil for 2-4 hours.

I know this seems like a huge amount of vegetables and lots of work. But this recipe yields about 15 litres of soup. I had 1.5 litre mason jars for freezing soup, and I was able to fill 8 of them (after DH and I snuck a bowl or two!). This soup freezes like a dream and you can feel your body saying "Thank you thank you!" when you eat it. Very healthy. Serve with rice in the bowl.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics