Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Red string?

MiamiMommy

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 9:53 am
I have a question about wearing a red string or bracelet around your wrist. I know what it's for, here's my question:

Does it have to be from Eretz Yisroel? Can it be a red string from a spool of thread? What about the stuff they sell in Judaica stores in the US? I've been wondering about this. . .please help!

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 10:22 am
A bendele from Kever Rochel is not the same thing as a red string worn for ayin horah.

louche

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 10:26 am
at the risk of getting bashed, all the stuff about red strings, be they from Kever Rochel or be they from Joanne's House of fabrics, is sheer narishkeit at best, avodah zarah at worst. The fact that people have been following an idolatrous practice for three hundred years does not kasher the avodah zarah out of it.

Fire at will. Will has gone out for coffee and I've gone with him.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 11:02 am
louche wrote:
at the risk of getting bashed, all the stuff about red strings, be they from Kever Rochel or be they from Joanne's House of fabrics, is sheer narishkeit at best, avodah zarah at worst. The fact that people have been following an idolatrous practice for three hundred years does not kasher the avodah zarah out of it. .

How can you bash the power that the Aibishter bentched Mame Ruchel with ?

dillie

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 11:06 am
http://www.aish.com/spirituali.....e.asp

louche

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 11:11 am
Thank you, dillie!

MiamiMommy

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 11:21 am
Interesting!

Barbara

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 12:15 pm
A-Roid's been wearing one. I expected it to burst into flames or at least disintegrate at his last press conference from the collective evil eyes being thrown at him. Let's see what happens his first at bat.

myfriends715

Post Fri, Feb 27 2009, 1:45 pm
Barbara wrote:
A-Roid's been wearing one. I expected it to burst into flames or at least disintegrate at his last press conference from the collective evil eyes being thrown at him. Let's see what happens his first at bat.

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL thats prob. from madonnas kaballah center.. but maybe its making him stupid instead.. did u hear that press confrence I... loooonnnnng paaauseee... am looong paauseee..... sorry.. (well that was 5 minutes of my life I can never get back)

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 4:06 pm
I have a funny story about the red string... A couple of years ago, I was shopping at Costco and the check-out person was a middle aged Indian lady. She noticed my frayed red string (from the visit to Israel a month or so prior), and she literally tsk tsk'd me, saying "I know. It must be annoying that you can't take it off for showers or for washing up"... As it turned out, I later learned that Indians also do the red thread bracelets at weddings.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 4:20 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
louche wrote:
at the risk of getting bashed, all the stuff about red strings, be they from Kever Rochel or be they from Joanne's House of fabrics, is sheer narishkeit at best, avodah zarah at worst. The fact that people have been following an idolatrous practice for three hundred years does not kasher the avodah zarah out of it. .

How can you bash the power that the Aibishter bentched Mame Ruchel with ?
what power did HaShem blessed rachel eimeinu with?

I hav eto agree with louche. I dont believe in whatever they are trying to "sell", wherever, with these red strings.

Aidelmom

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 4:25 pm
I heard that someone in my family once asked a rav about something regarding the red string . He said ,"better to say a few perakim of tehilim" (or something along those lines)

Ima2NYM_LTR

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 4:38 pm
Funny story

When DS was born, we went to FIL's for his Pidyon HaBen (DS's not FIL's...for all those jokers out there)
grandMIL saw him and the first thing she asked was "where is the red string, he needs a red string. you dont want to take any chances" Now this is an intelligent, well educated lady...

I told her very simply and politely that I put my faith in HaShem and not bits of cotton. She want happy with this, until she saw his pacifier string...which happened to be yellow and red. She decided this was good enough.

I almost took it off....

Emee

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 8:44 pm
Last year we had an issue and I was concerned about getting ayin hara so my husband asked his ruv what to do and he suggested the red string coupled with giving tzedaka daily. We just purchased some red string at a store.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics