Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Bathtub refitting

manhattanmom

Post Mon, Mar 02 2009, 2:43 pm
Has anyone had their bathtub refitted? Meaning, had an insert put over your existing tub?
What are your experiences? Pros? Cons? What does it cost (ballpark figure)? I need to replace my tub and am clueless. Have any recommendations in NY?

Thanks.

manhattanmom

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 10:49 pm
bump

3Qts

Post Tue, Mar 03 2009, 11:08 pm
We did it about 6-7 years ago. Its not very cheap but cheaper then removing and replacing a new bathtub.
But it works great and still in brand new condition. In my opinion if you only need to replace a bathtub then its worth it. If you are already redoing the whole bathroom then its not.

brbs

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 9:52 pm
I live in a rental and it has a refit and I HATE it. You have to keep in mind that it takes up width and makes the tub narrow. I always feel chlostraphobic when I take a bath.

greenfire

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 9:57 pm
I would wonder what lurks beneath ... shock

amother

Post Sun, Mar 08 2009, 10:07 pm
I had it done, including the 3 surrounding walls, and the ceiling. I am very happy not to have to scrub or look at the blackening grout. It is all shiny white and easy to clean. You can get it so it has the look of tile. Mine did not make the tub narrower, except for maybe a quarter of an inch. It was made from an exact mold of the tub. The guy took exact measurements and explained there are only a couple hundred shapes of tubs in existance and once he figured out which one we have, ordered a mold of our model. He cleaned the walls well, and then smeared glue. There are some cleaning products that are not recommended, so make sure to save the papers that come with it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics